I miss them. I really, really do...

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
adm1
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 09:46 am

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby adm1 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 20:32 pm

smidsy wrote:The real baffling thing to me is why vegeterian products are made and marketed to resemble meat.

Isn't the whole point that you are against eating meat and therefor all veggie products should be made and marketed in fruit and vegetable shapes ???


Exactly this!

Veggie bacon shaped, bacon flavoured rashers? Why? It's a bit like marelting cigarette shaped, fag flavoured sweets to ex-smokers.

User avatar
ALIHISGREAT
Posts: 3918
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 15:43 pm

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Fri Jul 13, 2012 21:24 pm

adm1 wrote:
smidsy wrote:The real baffling thing to me is why vegeterian products are made and marketed to resemble meat.

Isn't the whole point that you are against eating meat and therefor all veggie products should be made and marketed in fruit and vegetable shapes ???


Exactly this!

Veggie bacon shaped, bacon flavoured rashers? Why? It's a bit like marelting cigarette shaped, fag flavoured sweets to ex-smokers.



Some veggies must like the taste but object for other reasons?

User avatar
smidsy
Posts: 5256
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 20:52 pm

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby smidsy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:06 am

team47b wrote: I like the idea that veggie products should be fruit shaped, bright yellow curved sausages would be great :D


No your still on about sausages - bright yellow lemon shapes or bright green bean shapes is what they should be.
Yellow is the new Black.

User avatar
DIESELDOG
Posts: 2043
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 16:42 pm
Contact:

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby DIESELDOG » Sat Jul 14, 2012 14:47 pm

Bunneh wrote:Have been eating Quorn nuggets and they're not bad, pinch of salt, some chips, beans - not bad at all. That said without the sides they're about as tasty as a damp sock.


Quorn???? Stick to the damp socks, much more protein and you must be recycling the bacteria from your feet!

If we were meant to be veggies we wouldn't have the teeth we do!

Love n hugs

DD

(running for cover)
Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk

User avatar
team47b
Posts: 5299
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 18:39 pm

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby team47b » Sat Jul 14, 2012 18:18 pm

Hello DD not spoken before, how's it going?

"If we were meant to be veggies we wouldn't have the teeth we do!"

That is soooooo platitudinous :D

Humans have pathetically small "canine" teeth. In contrast, carnivores all have large canine teeth capable of tearing flesh.

Carnivores' jaws move only up and down, requiring them to tear chunks of flesh from their prey and swallow them whole. Humans and other herbivores can move their jaws up and down and from side to side, allowing them to grind up fruit and vegetables with their back teeth. Like other herbivores' teeth, human back molars are flat for grinding fibrous plant foods. Carnivores lack these flat molars.

PETA
my isetta is a 300cc bike

mattshrops
Posts: 1150
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 22:18 pm

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby mattshrops » Sat Jul 14, 2012 21:54 pm

"humans and other herbivores.." Err NO. If you want to be a veggie thats your bidness but humans are OMNIVORES that is why we have the teeth we have.
Death or Glory- Just another Story

User avatar
team47b
Posts: 5299
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 18:39 pm

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby team47b » Sat Jul 14, 2012 22:15 pm

What you do is not necessarily the same as what you are, we are not anatomical omnivores, was the point I was making.

While most humans are clearly "behavioral" omnivores, human beings have the gastrointestinal tract structure of a "committed" herbivore. Humankind does not show the mixed structural features one expects and finds in anatomical omnivores such as bears and raccoons. Thus, from comparing the gastrointestinal tract of humans to that of carnivores, herbivores and omnivores we must conclude that humankind's GI tract is designed for a purely plant-food diet.

We are herbivores that choose, or not, to eat meat.
my isetta is a 300cc bike

mattshrops
Posts: 1150
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 22:18 pm

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby mattshrops » Sun Jul 15, 2012 21:05 pm

I dont think that is true at all. As humans we have a need for protein and certain vitamins which are very difficult to get from other sources apart from meat. Obviously in todays society we can do that very easily but as little as 60or 70 years ago that was not the case. and we certainly have not evolved our digestive system within that timescale.
Again there are good arguments in favour of vegetarianism, but lets not pretend we are going against our own biological system by eating meat.
Death or Glory- Just another Story

User avatar
Teece
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 14:23 pm

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby Teece » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:10 am

Ex-weight trainer, martial artist and noob-cyclist here.
Eat lean cuts of meat [mainly chicken] and get those veggie sausages and veggie burgers in you too. The veggie products are high protein, high fibre and low fat. Just what anyone interested in sports needs.
Real sausages and bacon are just fat and salt.

I've gradually lost weight through eating right and exercising- 2 stones in 3 years.

Eating crap like animal fats wrapped in stomach lining filled with salt will not do anyone any good. But my word they do taste nice!

Monkeypump
Posts: 1538
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:20 am

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby Monkeypump » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:41 am

mattshrops wrote:I dont think that is true at all. As humans we have a need for protein and certain vitamins which are very difficult to get from other sources apart from meat. Obviously in todays society we can do that very easily but as little as 60or 70 years ago that was not the case. and we certainly have not evolved our digestive system within that timescale.
Again there are good arguments in favour of vegetarianism, but lets not pretend we are going against our own biological system by eating meat.


As an evolved predator we also have forward facing eyes for hunting, as well as the aforementioned mix of tearing and grinding teeth.

dylanfernley
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 20:29 pm
Contact:

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby dylanfernley » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:02 am

For real tasty low fat high protein sausages its got to be horse meat all the way--- don't know why they are not more widely available-- ( i do really but thats a whole different thread ting)

User avatar
team47b
Posts: 5299
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 18:39 pm

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby team47b » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:45 pm

mattshrops wrote:I dont think that is true at all. As humans we have a need for protein and certain vitamins which are very difficult to get from other sources apart from meat. Obviously in todays society we can do that very easily but as little as 60or 70 years ago that was not the case. and we certainly have not evolved our digestive system within that timescale.


difficult to get protein and vitamins, absolute nonsense :D tell that to the 159million vegetarian people in India!

60or 70 years ago where do you get your info from? :D

Our early ancestors lived on a semivegetarian diet for several million years. Some anthropologists have fostered the stereotype of "man the hunter," but studies of contemporary "hunter-gatherers" suggest that early humans lived primarily on a diet of plant foods, with supplementation from animal flesh. A view of early humans as gatherers rather than hunters is a more accurate portrayal.

Like most good ideas in the West, vegetarianism was developed by the ancient Greeks. Pythagoraswas the best-known practicing vegetarian, but the list of those who advocated a vegetarian diet includes Diogenes, Plato, Epicurus, and Plutarch. Plato, in The Republic, described a vegetarian diet as being best suited for his ideal society. Plant foods were preferred, according to Plato, because they promote health and because they require less land to produce than do animal foods. Other Greek thinkers felt that eating animal flesh was naturally repugnant and should be rejected on aesthetic grounds.

Don't worry vegetarianism is a choice,

relax, you are not being threatened,

it's your stomach, eat what you like,

but don't write about subjects you have no idea about :wink:
my isetta is a 300cc bike

t4tomo
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 21:27 pm

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby t4tomo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 17:40 pm

adm1 wrote:
ALIHISGREATBIGGAYVEGGIEBOY wrote:I've started eating veggie sausages as they are lower in fat.. and still taste almost like the real deal (It does help that the normal sausages at work are rank so i'm not missing much)


No. Really - they don't.


+1
Veggie Sausages? come on, either eat a vegatable or eat a sausage. the two are not comparable.

If you want low fat - eat a cucumber or a lettuce.
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

User avatar
Peddle Up!
Posts: 1810
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 19:10 pm

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby Peddle Up! » Mon Jul 16, 2012 17:55 pm

t4tomo wrote:Veggie Sausages? come on, either eat a vegatable or eat a sausage. the two are not comparable.

If you want low fat - eat a cucumber or a lettuce.


If you can have women Bishops, why not veggie sausages? Just a thought...
Purveyor of "up" :)

mattshrops
Posts: 1150
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 22:18 pm

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby mattshrops » Mon Jul 16, 2012 19:21 pm

Certain vitamins was what i wrote- also handily available in sunshine , quite good if you live in India.
I think you'll find the comment about protein is in reference to our recent past which is relevant when you start to think in terms of the timescale necessary for evolution of our digestive system. claims about almost vegetarian diets are frankly nonsense.(my friend is almost a non smoker=smoker)
Also a fairly different climate (and culture) leads to greater availability of protein from other sources such as nuts etc.

60 or 70 years ago whilst i'll grant you are fairly random numbers. I'm refering to the changes within our society and the availibility of all sorts of products -whether of foreign origin or synthesised by modern processes, They were not available in our recent(in evolution terms) history.

Dont give a shoot about whose great idea it was.

We as humans are biologically omnivores.

Vegetarianism is a choice.

I dont care what choice you have made(ooh i wonder) :wink:

Whereas i would not class myself as an expert on the subject i do not allow my reasoning to be clouded by my own choices on the matter, and as such will post what the f@ck i like about it :D :D
Death or Glory- Just another Story

User avatar
team47b
Posts: 5299
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 18:39 pm

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby team47b » Mon Jul 16, 2012 19:58 pm

you are right, you can post what the fark you like :D

Edit, I notice that we can't actually post what we like as the forum is still changing the swear words on cake stop!
my isetta is a 300cc bike

User avatar
T.M.H.N.E.T
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:20 pm

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Mon Jul 16, 2012 20:09 pm

mattshrops wrote:Certain vitamins was what i wrote- also handily available in sunshine , quite good if you live in India.
I think you'll find the comment about protein is in reference to our recent past which is relevant when you start to think in terms of the timescale necessary for evolution of our digestive system. claims about almost vegetarian diets are frankly nonsense.(my friend is almost a non smoker=smoker)
Also a fairly different climate (and culture) leads to greater availability of protein from other sources such as nuts etc.

60 or 70 years ago whilst i'll grant you are fairly random numbers. I'm refering to the changes within our society and the availibility of all sorts of products -whether of foreign origin or synthesised by modern processes, They were not available in our recent(in evolution terms) history.

Dont give a shoot about whose great idea it was.

We as humans are biologically omnivores.

Vegetarianism is a choice.

I dont care what choice you have made(ooh i wonder) :wink:

Whereas i would not class myself as an expert on the subject i do not allow my reasoning to be clouded by my own choices on the matter, and as such will post what the f@ck i like about it :D :D

Which vitamins?

User avatar
team47b
Posts: 5299
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 18:39 pm

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby team47b » Mon Jul 16, 2012 20:17 pm

I assume that by connecting vitamins with sunshine he means vitamin D.

Lots and lots of vitamin D here, and we have egg yolks for the 5 days a year when it's cloudy : put smug icon here
my isetta is a 300cc bike

User avatar
T.M.H.N.E.T
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:20 pm

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Mon Jul 16, 2012 20:24 pm

team47b wrote:I assume that by connecting vitamins with sunshine he means vitamin D.

Lots and lots of vitamin D here, and we have egg yolks for the 5 days a year when it's cloudy : put smug icon here

I assumed there was more than Vit D being mentioned :lol:

mattshrops
Posts: 1150
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 22:18 pm

Re: I miss them. I really, really do...

Postby mattshrops » Mon Jul 16, 2012 22:22 pm

ok i may have overplayed the vitamins bit. But the point remains -these things easily available today, not so in our recent past. Which helps me to believe we are biologically omnivores. Not that it matters.ho hum.
Death or Glory- Just another Story


Return to “The Cake Stop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests