Racing Sportives !!

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
paulmgreen
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 17:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby paulmgreen » Sun Jul 15, 2012 09:10 am

Any event that has recorded and published times will surely be held up as a 'race' at one level or another.

A sportive 'race' is a race to some people.... But to those who race in a 'true race' they are at a higher level as everyone there is doing so to race properly... Not just have a fast Sunday ride?

Personally I think it's fine..... But boasting of ' winning' sportives as if it were the Tour de France is a little sad !

User avatar
Me-109
Posts: 1044
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 15:39 pm

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby Me-109 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 09:27 am

So a sportive is not racing, then what is its point? What benefit does the individual get for a £15-£25 entry fee? Can't you just go and ride alone, with mates, with a club and save the entry fee or put it towards fuel to go somewhere different to ride?

User avatar
T.M.H.N.E.T
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:20 pm

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:34 am

Me-109 wrote:So a sportive is not racing, then what is its point? What benefit does the individual get for a £15-£25 entry fee? Can't you just go and ride alone, with mates, with a club and save the entry fee or put it towards fuel to go somewhere different to ride?

The clue is in the name
sportive [ˈspɔːtɪv]
adj
1. playful or joyous
2. done in jest rather than seriously
3. (General Sporting Terms) of, relating to, or interested in sports
4. Obsolete wanton or amorous a sportive wench

verylonglegs
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:59 am

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby verylonglegs » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:52 am

As far as I'm concerned if they aren't ran and categorised as a race then they shouldn't provide any timing and publish any such place listings afterwards.

User avatar
Secteur
Posts: 1488
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 18:03 pm

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby Secteur » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:03 pm

verylonglegs wrote:As far as I'm concerned if they aren't ran and categorised as a race then they shouldn't provide any timing and publish any such place listings afterwards.


+1

giropaul
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 12:47 pm

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby giropaul » Sun Jul 15, 2012 14:29 pm

Secteur wrote:
verylonglegs wrote:As far as I'm concerned if they aren't ran and categorised as a race then they shouldn't provide any timing and publish any such place listings afterwards.


+1


British Cycling guidelines specifically state that positions should not be not published. By publishing times and positions organisers risk being the organisers of a race (as defined in the law that defines cycle racing on he highway) without the required permissions and regulations. - i.e. commiting offences.

That's why British Cycling give this advice; to try to prevent "rogue" sportives endangering all road cycling events including racing.

Frank the tank
Posts: 6606
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 21:22 pm

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby Frank the tank » Sun Jul 15, 2012 16:41 pm

Never done a sportive. Never done an Audax.

I have read however, spotives are for people who think they're racing but they aren't. Audax are for people who don't think they're racing, but they are.

How true that is I don't know.

Nowt wrong with getting yourself fit though.

If you want to race, get a license and race against people who know they're in a race rather than a bunch of unsuspecting sportive riders.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

User avatar
Pross
Posts: 15204
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby Pross » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:49 am

I race (badly) and did my first sportive yesterday. For me it was a personal challenge, probably the toughest ride I've done in nearly 20 years if not ever as it was longer than anything I've done in for 15 years and very hilly. There were undoubtably some riders who were very fit and I suspect quite a few were racing cyclists but as with other very fit sports people who are new to racing I suspect it would be the pace changes and race craft that would see them struggling. I'll go back next year and do the ride again as a guage of my improvement and because it's bloody good, hard training!

User avatar
GiantMike
Posts: 3162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 09:41 am

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby GiantMike » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:46 pm

4th cat racing is very different a sprortive. The latter is best compared to an individual TT against a lot of other people who aren't actually racing, and a few who are.
my power improvement experiment blog

Rule number 100: It's your bike and your money and your time; do what you like with it and ignore other peoples' rules. Except this one.

User avatar
Pinno
Posts: 18591
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 15:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby Pinno » Mon Jul 16, 2012 14:19 pm

The reason this was taken out of the pro-race forum is probably because of people like this complaining.

Vino2007 wrote:Get this sh!t out of the pro race forum you idiot.


Don't quite see why I am an idiot, perhaps you have to be a dyed in the wool 'ripped' professional 600 mile per week, 50 banana a day racer to post in pro-race. Well, fvck em. I'll post where I like.

I agree with Jibberjim, it just may compromise the whole sportive scene and put the prices up even more due to insurance and libel. I looked at a number of French sportives and the entrance fee is negligable compared to our events.
"It's really tough to make a living, but a man's just gotta try" Disgruntledgoat - who owe's me 10 Goat Bucks

S - The womens Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

Seantheconn: más afeminado que un jamboree de Guías Internacional

User avatar
Cleat Eastwood
Posts: 7720
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 23:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby Cleat Eastwood » Mon Jul 16, 2012 15:16 pm

pinarello001 wrote:The reason this was taken out of the pro-race forum is probably because of people like this complaining.

Vino2007 wrote:Get this sh!t out of the pro race forum you idiot.


Don't quite see why I am an idiot, perhaps you have to be a dyed in the wool 'ripped' professional 600 mile per week, 50 banana a day racer to post in pro-race. Well, fvck em. I'll post where I like.

I agree with Jibberjim, it just may compromise the whole sportive scene and put the prices up even more due to insurance and libel. I looked at a number of French sportives and the entrance fee is negligable compared to our events.


Bad modding once again - and we all know who is to blame.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

User avatar
Pross
Posts: 15204
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby Pross » Mon Jul 16, 2012 15:25 pm

To be fair, a post about treating a sportive as an amateur race is unlikely to be a topic that would get much discussion in pro race.

User avatar
Rick Chasey
Lives Here
Posts: 28560
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 15:34 pm

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby Rick Chasey » Mon Jul 16, 2012 15:27 pm

This thread has nothing to do with professional cycling, therefore it doesn't belong in pro-race.

It could have been put into road general, or in the sportive section but given the tone, I didn't think that was appropriate.

So here it is.

As for the halford comment - that's in relation to the viewing experience of watching professional racing.

Now stop whining about the modding.

User avatar
T.M.H.N.E.T
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:20 pm

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Mon Jul 16, 2012 15:34 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:Now stop whining about the modding.

You're a comedian Rick. If it wasn't terrible nobody would complain :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

styxd
Posts: 3114
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 00:57 am

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby styxd » Mon Jul 16, 2012 15:45 pm

ddraver wrote:Are you talking about the guy in the spoiler thread that stopped at a food stop and then whined that a guy that did nt stop rode a faster time than him? That guy is an idiot.

There is little point training to "win" and event where people are nt racing you. Fair enough train to get your own time down but the position you arrive at the finish line is irrelevant. If your acquaintance wants to race, then enter a race with other people that are racing to be the winner of the race!


I guess you're referring to me.

The fact is, sportives are races. But for people who like to hide behind the fact that they arent marketed as races.

Then if they do badly or get beaten, they can just use the excuse:

"its a sportive, so I wasnt racing anyway"

When in reality they were riding as hard as they could.

I ride to win.

Unfortunately my brother in law in the support car wasnt at the foodstop, otherwise I would have got a lift back up the next climb to get me back to where I deserved to be.

User avatar
T.M.H.N.E.T
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:20 pm

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Mon Jul 16, 2012 15:49 pm

styxd wrote:
ddraver wrote:Are you talking about the guy in the spoiler thread that stopped at a food stop and then whined that a guy that did nt stop rode a faster time than him? That guy is an idiot.

There is little point training to "win" and event where people are nt racing you. Fair enough train to get your own time down but the position you arrive at the finish line is irrelevant. If your acquaintance wants to race, then enter a race with other people that are racing to be the winner of the race!


I guess you're referring to me.

The fact is, sportives are races. But for people who like to hide behind the fact that they arent marketed as races.

Then if they do badly or get beaten, they can just use the excuse:

"its a sportive, so I wasnt racing anyway"

When in reality they were riding as hard as they could.

I ride to win.

Unfortunately my brother in law in the support car wasnt at the foodstop, otherwise I would have got a lift back up the next climb to get me back to where I deserved to be.

Why did you deserve to be anywhere? You stopped at a food stop on a sportive (the definition of which is above) what makes you entitled to some form of special treatment?

You ride to win, an event in which everyone who finishes is a winner?

User avatar
Pross
Posts: 15204
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby Pross » Mon Jul 16, 2012 16:14 pm

T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:
styxd wrote:
ddraver wrote:Are you talking about the guy in the spoiler thread that stopped at a food stop and then whined that a guy that did nt stop rode a faster time than him? That guy is an idiot.

There is little point training to "win" and event where people are nt racing you. Fair enough train to get your own time down but the position you arrive at the finish line is irrelevant. If your acquaintance wants to race, then enter a race with other people that are racing to be the winner of the race!


I guess you're referring to me.

The fact is, sportives are races. But for people who like to hide behind the fact that they arent marketed as races.

Then if they do badly or get beaten, they can just use the excuse:

"its a sportive, so I wasnt racing anyway"

When in reality they were riding as hard as they could.

I ride to win.

Unfortunately my brother in law in the support car wasnt at the foodstop, otherwise I would have got a lift back up the next climb to get me back to where I deserved to be.

Why did you deserve to be anywhere? You stopped at a food stop on a sportive (the definition of which is above) what makes you entitled to some form of special treatment?

You ride to win, an event in which everyone who finishes is a winner?


Judging by that last paragraph I think he's being tongue in cheek!

User avatar
Cleat Eastwood
Posts: 7720
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 23:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby Cleat Eastwood » Mon Jul 16, 2012 16:19 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:This thread has nothing to do with professional cycling, therefore it doesn't belong in pro-race.

It could have been put into road general, or in the sportive section but given the tone, I didn't think that was appropriate.

So here it is.

As for the halford comment - that's in relation to the viewing experience of watching professional racing.

Now stop whining about the modding.


Actually its a thread about a advert that follows an amateur triathlete - which part of 'amateur triathlete' corresponds to 'pro race'?

And as for 'whining' is there a rule that says we can't post if it upsets the mods - please direct me to relevant rule/regulation; half of crudcatcher would be deleted.

If there isnt a rule and the modding is bad - i'll continue to post about it. Simples.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

User avatar
T.M.H.N.E.T
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:20 pm

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Mon Jul 16, 2012 16:22 pm

Pross wrote:
T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:
styxd wrote:
ddraver wrote:Are you talking about the guy in the spoiler thread that stopped at a food stop and then whined that a guy that did nt stop rode a faster time than him? That guy is an idiot.

There is little point training to "win" and event where people are nt racing you. Fair enough train to get your own time down but the position you arrive at the finish line is irrelevant. If your acquaintance wants to race, then enter a race with other people that are racing to be the winner of the race!


I guess you're referring to me.

The fact is, sportives are races. But for people who like to hide behind the fact that they arent marketed as races.

Then if they do badly or get beaten, they can just use the excuse:

"its a sportive, so I wasnt racing anyway"

When in reality they were riding as hard as they could.

I ride to win.

Unfortunately my brother in law in the support car wasnt at the foodstop, otherwise I would have got a lift back up the next climb to get me back to where I deserved to be.

Why did you deserve to be anywhere? You stopped at a food stop on a sportive (the definition of which is above) what makes you entitled to some form of special treatment?

You ride to win, an event in which everyone who finishes is a winner?


Judging by that last paragraph I think he's being tongue in cheek!

I'm prepared for that. Bit of a fine line sometimes,it really is hard to tell if people are playing dumb or are actually.

User avatar
T.M.H.N.E.T
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:20 pm

Re: Racing Sportives !!

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Mon Jul 16, 2012 16:26 pm

Cleat Eastwood wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:This thread has nothing to do with professional cycling, therefore it doesn't belong in pro-race.

It could have been put into road general, or in the sportive section but given the tone, I didn't think that was appropriate.

So here it is.

As for the halford comment - that's in relation to the viewing experience of watching professional racing.

Now stop whining about the modding.


Actually its a thread about a advert that follows an amateur triathlete - which part of 'amateur triathlete' corresponds to 'pro race'?

And as for 'whining' is there a rule that says we can't post if it upsets the mods - please direct me to relevant rule/regulation; half of crudcatcher would be deleted.

If there isnt a rule and the modding is bad - i'll continue to post about it. Simples.

He's a fixie commuter too. OH THE TURMOIL!


Return to “The Cake Stop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests