Sports items lack of evidence.

Get fit for riding.
Thewaylander

Sports items lack of evidence.

Postby Thewaylander » Thu Jul 19, 2012 09:53 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18863293

I thought this article was interesting, especially on the area of sports drink and recovery items.

YeehaaMcgee

Re: Sports items lack of evidence.

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Thu Jul 19, 2012 16:33 pm

T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=12866954

viewtopic.php?f=40088&t=12866058

That's from the road section. What the hell would we go there for, apart from scoring steroids?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Thu Jul 19, 2012 16:37 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:
T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=12866954

That's from the road section. What the hell would we go there for, apart from scoring steroids?

:lol:

Thewaylander

Postby Thewaylander » Fri Jul 20, 2012 09:11 am

YeehaaMcgee wrote:

Well made point LOL

thought i didnt recognise the posters lol.

Found it interesting as an article :) fellow mountain bikers

jakjtb

Postby jakjtb » Fri Jul 20, 2012 23:08 pm

very interesting read, especially as i was going to be going buying some potein tomorrow for my heavy gym sessions. just gonna stick to water or fruit juice
i find that if you just talk, your mouth comes out with stuff - Karl Pilkington

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Sat Jul 21, 2012 16:24 pm

jakjtb wrote:very interesting read, especially as i was going to be going buying some potein tomorrow for my heavy gym sessions. just gonna stick to water or fruit juice

What are you on about?

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Sat Jul 21, 2012 17:17 pm

jakjtb wrote:very interesting read, especially as i was going to be going buying some potein tomorrow for my heavy gym sessions. just gonna stick to water or fruit juice

Sardines on brown toast - all you'll ever need.

jakjtb

Postby jakjtb » Sat Jul 21, 2012 20:55 pm

T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:

What are you on about?

the artical at the top of the post was very interesting and has given me doubts about spending money on protein shakes.....how did you not get that?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Sat Jul 21, 2012 20:56 pm

jakjtb wrote:
T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:

What are you on about?

the artical at the top of the post was very interesting and has given me doubts about spending money on protein shakes.....how did you not get that?

What doubts do you have?

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Sat Jul 21, 2012 21:02 pm

?
What reason do you have to believe the marketing hype?

jakjtb

Postby jakjtb » Sat Jul 21, 2012 21:03 pm

T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:
jakjtb wrote:
T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:

What are you on about?

What doubts do you have?

i dont know wether it is worth me spending money on protein shakes for post gym activities when i dont need it...not really willing to spend 25 quid on something i dont need.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Sat Jul 21, 2012 21:07 pm

You don't need it. There's no reason to consume your nutrients as a drink - they're already in your food, so just make sure you eat a healthy diet.
It's baffling how many people fall for the marketing hype.

jakjtb

Postby jakjtb » Sat Jul 21, 2012 21:08 pm

yeh thats pretty much what the personal trainer said to me. am avoiding stuff like that.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Sat Jul 21, 2012 21:13 pm

jakjtb wrote:
T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:
jakjtb wrote:
T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:

What are you on about?

What doubts do you have?

i dont know wether it is worth me spending money on protein shakes for post gym activities when i dont need it...not really willing to spend 25 quid on something i dont need.

You're referring to weight lifting of some form I assume. If not let me know.

The programs claims were not about protein but about associated stuff like BCAA's making unsubstantiated claims, anyone with a reasonable interest in sport should know that protein is an essential building block for muscle fibre.

I worked out roughly earlier that 1 serving of myprotein impact whey - is cheaper and contains more protein than a pint of semi-skimmed milk from ASDA. If you really need it outside of typical diet, there are ways and there are price points.

jakjtb

Postby jakjtb » Sat Jul 21, 2012 21:14 pm

its not hardcore weight lifting but yeh essentially. trouble is you get so many different opinions that you dont know what to do.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Sat Jul 21, 2012 21:23 pm

jakjtb wrote:its not hardcore weight lifting but yeh essentially. trouble is you get so many different opinions that you dont know what to do.

RDA's of protein vary between lazy people, endurance sport and weightlifting disciplines but 1.5g per lean kg bodyweight probably isn't a bad place to start. Just multiply your weight by 1.5 and if needs be use programs like myfitnesspal to give you an idea of where the intake is,how much and where you could get more.

jakjtb

Postby jakjtb » Sat Jul 21, 2012 21:26 pm

T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:
jakjtb wrote:its not hardcore weight lifting but yeh essentially. trouble is you get so many different opinions that you dont know what to do.

RDA's of protein vary between lazy people, endurance sport and weightlifting disciplines but 1.5g per lean kg bodyweight probably isn't a bad place to start. Just multiply your weight by 1.5 and if needs be use programs like myfitnesspal to give you an idea of where the intake is,how much and where you could get more.

lazy people?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Sat Jul 21, 2012 21:28 pm

jakjtb wrote:
T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:

lazy people?

<the general population of people who are non sporty>

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Sat Jul 21, 2012 21:36 pm

Even if you're a hardcore weightlifter, there's no need.
My brother was an European championship weightlifter, and never bothered with any supplements. Just a healthy diet, and a fair bit of meat, and some eggs.
Just normal food, basically.

Return to “Health, Fitness & Training”