Enigma Esprit

Show off your bikes here...
cubedean

Re: Enigma Esprit

Postby cubedean » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:42 am

I have to say that this is absolutely lovely! I would love a ti frame :)

MattC59

Postby MattC59 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:13 pm

siamon wrote:Stylistically, I think it looks spot on, wheels, tyres, condoms et al. It's the geometry I don't get? Did you transfer the dimensions from a previous bike?

Cheerrs :D
What is it that you don't get about the geometry ?

Geometry is 73 degree seat tube and 73 degree head tube. I think it looks a little more relaxed due to the angle the photo is taken from. Having the flat top tube also makes the geometry appear more relaxed than a compact frame. In the photo, the bars look higher than they are as well.
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

MattC59

Postby MattC59 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:17 pm

Rolf F wrote:Nice and different but you really need to get rid of the black ribbed knobbler condoms on the brake cable between the caliper arms. Those are nasty!

They're part of the Gore sealed system. I've had a set of the gear cables on my MTB for about four years now, and they've not needed touching once. They've seen all manner of filth and regular soakings and are still as smooth as the day that I installed them.

The Fuggler

Postby The Fuggler » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:37 pm

Very, very nice. Enjoy!
FCN 3 / 4

Zoomer37

Postby Zoomer37 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:59 pm

Thats a great looking bike mate.

Out of interest, has getting the correct postion on those 3T bars been a pain in the ass? I got them and I seem to be forever pissing about with them in the quest to find a decent hand position for the hoods n drops.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Tue Jul 24, 2012 14:07 pm

siamon wrote:Stylistically, I think it looks spot on, wheels, tyres, condoms et al. It's the geometry I don't get? Did you transfer the dimensions from a previous bike?

Why don't you get it? The saddle looks slightly low but it would fit anyone very conventionally who has slightly shorter than average legs.

It's really nice to see someone go to the trouble of supporting British framemaking - I wish more would. Wheels are fine!

MattC59 wrote:
Rolf F wrote:Nice and different but you really need to get rid of the black ribbed knobbler condoms on the brake cable between the caliper arms. Those are nasty!

They're part of the Gore sealed system. I've had a set of the gear cables on my MTB for about four years now, and they've not needed touching once. They've seen all manner of filth and regular soakings and are still as smooth as the day that I installed them.

Ahhh right. I have to admit to never having noticed any non-smoothness in my brakes but a) I'm crap at noticing subtle deterioration and b) I'm a bit obsessive about bike cleaning so probably nothing gets in anyway! I did nearly comment that they looked like something off an MTB though :lol:
Last edited by Rolf F on Tue Jul 24, 2012 14:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faster than a tent.......

nathancom

Postby nathancom » Tue Jul 24, 2012 14:14 pm

MattC59 wrote:

Cheerrs :D
What is it that you don't get about the geometry ?

Geometry is 73 degree seat tube and 73 degree head tube. I think it looks a little more relaxed due to the angle the photo is taken from. Having the flat top tube also makes the geometry appear more relaxed than a compact frame. In the photo, the bars look higher than they are as well.

Excellent bikes, most comfortable and enjoyable ride I have come across. Your's is really distinctive as well - think the wheels actually go ok with it.

siamon

Postby siamon » Tue Jul 24, 2012 14:45 pm

Matt/Rolf,

Just thought the rear end looks very upright (short chainstays) and racy whilst the front end looks like it has a more relaxed bias. Plus the central triangle looks larger than current fashions for the saddle height. Kind of remind me of a Merckx Molteni/Majestic, which is why I asked if the geometry was transferred from another bike.

I agree with the comment above, it looks distinctive yet also has a kind of reserved stylishness which is an unusual combination.

And Rolf, I appreciate the comment about British frame builders but I thought you rolled on a LOOK? Personally I have a Roberts ;)

antlaff

Postby antlaff » Tue Jul 24, 2012 15:27 pm

Great Job...but really like the head badge

MattC59

Postby MattC59 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 15:50 pm

Rolf F wrote:The saddle looks slightly low but it would fit anyone very conventionally who has slightly shorter than average legs.

The saddle height is actually identical to my Trek, I have 34" inside leg and an 6'2". The reason it looks low is that it's not a compact frame, it has a horizontal top tube, rather than the sloping top tube that you see on a lot of bikes these days. I liked the classic look to go with the skinny tubes.

Rolf F wrote:
MattC59 wrote:

Ahhh right. I have to admit to never having noticed any non-smoothness in my brakes but a) I'm crap at noticing subtle deterioration and b) I'm a bit obsessive about bike cleaning so probably nothing gets in anyway! I did nearly comment that they looked like something off an MTB though :lol:

The gore system has a continuous ptfe liner from lever to caliper/derailleur, so you're never n danger of any sh*te getting into the cables. The knobbly condom basically acts as the seal at the end of the liner. These are the road specific version (not sure the difference, I think it's to do with the way the liner enters the lever), but if htey last like those on my mtb, then I'll be happy :)

MattC59

Postby MattC59 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 15:57 pm

siamon wrote:Matt/Rolf,

Just thought the rear end looks very upright (short chainstays) and racy whilst the front end looks like it has a more relaxed bias. Plus the central triangle looks larger than current fashions for the saddle height. Kind of remind me of a Merckx Molteni/Majestic, which is why I asked if the geometry was transferred from another bike.

The back end does look quite upright in the photos, but I think that's down to the angle that the photo's been taken from. The front end is no more relaxed than any other 73 degree head angled bike, again, I think it looks relaxed due to my cr*p photographic skills :oops:

You're right, I know what you mean re: the Merckx bikes :D That's the sort of look I was after, to go with the skinny-ish tubes. The main triangle is larger, but that's just down to it being a classic shape rather than a compact shape. Having a horizontal top tube means that the seat tube is longer, so less seat post is showing.

MattC59

Postby MattC59 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 16:00 pm

Zoomer37 wrote:Thats a great looking bike mate.

Out of interest, has getting the correct postion on those 3T bars been a pain in the ass? I got them and I seem to be forever pissing about with them in the quest to find a decent hand position for the hoods n drops.

I'm off out for a spin in an hour or so (once it's cooled down a bit) but I just went for a horizontal starting position. I'll report back.

tim wand

Postby tim wand » Tue Jul 24, 2012 19:00 pm

Lovely, Thought it was going to be a C59, But thats every bit as nice if not more so.

Place near me (Windmill bikes Wymondham) does Enigma and only the Italian built Colnagos (Master and C59) and the Bianchi Oltre's, Would really be a hard decision if I had the gelt. But a custom built Enigma would probably win it.

Enjoy.

PimpMyBike

Postby PimpMyBike » Tue Jul 24, 2012 19:03 pm

Mmmm...I love the colour of it :)

andy46

Postby andy46 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 21:00 pm

That looks fantastic, well worth the wait. Enjoy it 8)
2009 Scott Spark 50

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport

Yossie

Postby Yossie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 21:21 pm

Stunning - the fabrication is just stunning. Chapeau to Mr welder. Reminds me of Harris/Spondon m/bike frames & Racefit exhausts.

Slam the stem, change everything on it that is white to black and leave it round the back of Casa Yossie please.

Very, very nice.
This is only a joke by the way, I am in no way implying directly or otherwise that there is any kind of link or similarity between BR and North Korea :)

cubedean

Postby cubedean » Wed Jul 25, 2012 06:08 am

my first reply was restrained........i'm actually in love with this.

Gazzaputt

Postby Gazzaputt » Wed Jul 25, 2012 07:32 am

Very nice but my that seatpost is low.

thegreatdivide

Postby thegreatdivide » Wed Jul 25, 2012 08:40 am

[cough] crank and valves [cough]

Really great looking bike though! How are you finding the saddle?

Agreed re red seat post clamp. It would be a nice touch – and so would some red spoked Racing Zeros :)
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

MattC59

Postby MattC59 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 08:44 am

Gazzaputt wrote:Very nice but my that seatpost is low.

Cheers :D

............... but the saddle's not low, as mentioned, the frame has classic geometry, so it only looks low because not having a compact frame means that not much seat post is showing. If I had bought the Echo, with it's sloping top tube, I'd have a 58cm frame, not the 61cm frame, to an extra 3cm of seatpost would be showing. The saddle to BB dimension is 775mm, exactly what the bike fit suggests.

Return to “Your Road Bikes”