Strava 'Bagging'

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
JGSI

Strava 'Bagging'

Postby JGSI » Mon Jul 23, 2012 16:32 pm

I have ported my thread over from Dustbin death thread holder of Bottom Bracket..

It is for all Strava fanboys and girls to vent their triumph or anguish.
It brings the 'pettiness' of human nature out.. as I noticed someone had claimed a kom by using a local race circuit and then adding on a tiny bit extra... so to thwart this cunning plan, the kom has been recreated to reflect just the race circuit... life is tough.. now all he has to do to is ride it 6mph faster :mrgreen:
I'm 9th , so I did this for the greater good.

ALIHISGREAT

Re: Strava 'Bagging'

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Mon Jul 23, 2012 17:15 pm

I'm looking forward to going home to Cambridgeshire in a few weeks.. much less Strava competition than in Oxfordshire..

doubt I'll be bagging any KOMs.. but some top 10s should be easy... because there aren't really any hills :lol:

dw300

Postby dw300 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 00:03 am

Could this be the least impressive KoM ever ?? I churned out a whopping 104w to get this one, and I'm pretty sure I had a tailwind ..

http://app.strava.com/segments/1499170

Shall I set up a BikeRadar Strava Club?
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Tue Jul 24, 2012 05:14 am

dw300 wrote:Could this be the least impressive KoM ever ?? I churned out a whopping 104w to get this one, and I'm pretty sure I had a tailwind ..

http://app.strava.com/segments/1499170

I dont see why not,,,,,,,,

one of my KoMs was set when I was being hung out to dry at the backof a road race.. the weird thing was, there at least 3 other riders using Strava via their Garmins at the same time... :?

Warwickshire Whizzer

Postby Warwickshire Whizzer » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:08 pm

I've gave it some beans on a sgement a couple of times last week, and again this week, only to get no where near the top 10. Then, looking closely at the leaderboard, I realised the top times had the same date, closer inspection revealed them to be set on the regular local chaingang bash. Pah.

derbygrimpeur

Postby derbygrimpeur » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:42 pm

I added a short, flat segment near my house and set a pleasing 30.x mph KOM/CR. It was then beaten a few days later by someone at 35mph+ :shock: Looking at the performance chart he went from 23mph to 43mph within 3 seconds a quarter way through the segment :? Don't think it's possible to do 35mph on this segment for normal riders, and this guy is decidely normal looking at the rest of his rides.

Argghhhhh

On a different note, I find myself now paying alot more attention to wind direction when planning my routes to ensure tailwinds up the KOMs I really want. Have spotted a change in wind direction for tomorrow so will be off out to have a third attempt at a local climb I'm currently too far off the pace on.

Great website though, every ride seems to be a training session now

Pross

Postby Pross » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:50 pm

I held the KOM (crap term considering it's completely flat) on a section of cycleway near my house in both directions. Whilst uploading my first ever sportive to Strava last Sunday I had the dreaded message to say I'd lost it in one direction. So on the Monday, just over a mile into my 18 miles commute that I was using to recover from the previous day's exertion, I had to ride a bit harder to get the KOM back (I managed to extend it significantly today to stop the thieving interloper coming back and taking it off me again!!).

snowley

Postby snowley » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:50 pm

I think there are some very optimistic times on most of the segments out there unless they are set by pro's.

Its a brilliant motivation tool though, makes me push myself every ride as to not embarrass myself with a crap placing.....(although i still do)!!

Pross

Postby Pross » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Warwickshire Whizzer wrote:I've gave it some beans on a sgement a couple of times last week, and again this week, only to get no where near the top 10. Then, looking closely at the leaderboard, I realised the top times had the same date, closer inspection revealed them to be set on the regular local chaingang bash. Pah.

Half my local roads are used by the Ras de Cymru so there's just no chance of getting anywhere near the leaderboard. I have toyed with going out in my car running Strava and driving at a just about realistic cycling speed to knock the smiles off their faces.

derbygrimpeur

Postby derbygrimpeur » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:56 pm

Pross, those e-mails "Uh-oh" are so annoying aren't they ;)

I took a KOM off someone last week, only for them to equal my time at the weekend. I will be going out this Saturday to try and better it again. Competitive?

thecrofter

Postby thecrofter » Tue Jul 24, 2012 13:16 pm

My proudest achievment

http://app.strava.com/segments/1430179

There must be someone I've not told yet. :roll:
You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!

ShutUpLegs

Postby ShutUpLegs » Tue Jul 24, 2012 20:43 pm

I edited a segment yesterday when I compared performance with the KOM and realised he overtook me in the last 100 yds.

Result.
I Like Black Bikes

outcastjack

Postby outcastjack » Tue Jul 24, 2012 21:37 pm

thecrofter wrote:My proudest achievment

http://app.strava.com/segments/1430179

There must be someone I've not told yet. :roll:

I kill for a hill like that to be within cycling distance!

I hold second place (for which i battered myself) on a flat straight two mile segment near me, the guy in first averaged over 40mph and slowed to nearly zero at a mini roundabout halfway, it probably shouldn't bug me when people clearly do these things in their cars but it really does.

dw300

Postby dw300 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 00:54 am

JGSI wrote:
dw300 wrote:

Done .. Bike Radar Strava Club .. join now!

Code for signature (remove spaces from closing tags) .. [color=#2EFE2E][b][url=http://app.strava.com/clubs/10494]Bike Radar Strava Club[ /url][ /b][ /color]
Bike Radar Strava Club

thecrofter

Postby thecrofter » Wed Jul 25, 2012 08:13 am

Little local hill on my commute, missed out on a becoming KOM by 1sec this morning..........war has been declared :evil:

http://app.strava.com/activities/14429139#272118173
You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Wed Jul 25, 2012 09:20 am

dw300 wrote:
JGSI wrote:
dw300 wrote:

Done .. Bike Radar Strava Club .. join now!

Code for signature (remove spaces from closing tags) .. [color=#2EFE2E][b][url=http://app.strava.com/clubs/10494]Bike Radar Strava Club[ /url][ /b][ /color]

Done!

err no team kit?.. what about 'ol USPS? :mrgreen:

Graeme Jones

Postby Graeme Jones » Wed Jul 25, 2012 17:36 pm

There is a tough hill by me that I do about 12mph up which isn't too bad but the leader does it at like 22mph which has to be rubbish is pretty steep and long but my aim is to get to 14mph through it.

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Wed Jul 25, 2012 18:10 pm

Graeme Jones wrote:There is a tough hill by me that I do about 12mph up which isn't too bad but the leader does it at like 22mph which has to be rubbish is pretty steep and long but my aim is to get to 14mph through it.

Link it! lets have a look!

dw300

Postby dw300 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 23:22 pm

I have noticed some short steep climbs where the KOM hits the hill very fast and can stay in the big ring. I ride with a guy that can do that on 1/4 or 1/2 mile climbs .. blows my mind. But he's a big guy, and would slow down on a very long climb.

Does anyone subscribe to make use of the age / weight leaderboards? I think I might as it's futile for me to get KOMs on long flat segments against big Rouleurs.
Bike Radar Strava Club

thegreatdivide

Postby thegreatdivide » Thu Jul 26, 2012 07:51 am

The more I use it the more I realise that Strava is really flawed. For example – I went out with two mates last night and one guy uses Strava via his mobile in his back pocket while I use my Garmin (with HRM and cadence). We hit a segment and decided to work together to get a fast time. For the entire climb we were riding at the same pace with a foot space between rear wheels and we went over the top in exactly the same formation. Comparing our post ride stats Mobile Strava mate beat me by three seconds!

For the same ride Strava gave a route distance of a mile more than my Garmin.
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

Return to “The Cake Stop”