Sports items lack of evidence.

Get fit for riding.
User avatar
YeehaaMcgee
Posts: 5955
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 13:30 pm

Re: Sports items lack of evidence.

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Thu Jul 26, 2012 20:48 pm

T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:protein shakes are an option only.

Wow, exactly the same as lucozade.

Chunkers1980
Posts: 7909
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 14:12 pm

Re: Sports items lack of evidence.

Postby Chunkers1980 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 21:00 pm

But, before I ride if I have a bacons sarnie, bb, bs, always, a banana and a sports drink, I'd feel better prepared, than if I just had water as the drink.... Bet that's what most sensible people would think? Have I too fallen for marketing bs? That's shite, not sauce.

User avatar
T.M.H.N.E.T
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:20 pm

Re: Sports items lack of evidence.

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Fri Jul 27, 2012 03:34 am

YeehaaMcgee wrote:
T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:protein shakes are an option only.

Wow, exactly the same as lucozade.

Without the claims. Amazingly lucozade hydrates exactly the same as water given the number 1 listed ingredient - is water :lol:

User avatar
Briggo
Posts: 3649
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 16:55 pm

Re: Sports items lack of evidence.

Postby Briggo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 18:57 pm

Yes you can eat a meal to achieve the same outcome but it's a lot more convenient to make up a yummy summer fruits protein shake and consume it.

For me the recovery shake has it's place, it just depends where and when I finish a long hard ride and experience tells me that without the shake or some other form of nutritional intake straight after the exercise I'll feel it the next day.

User avatar
YeehaaMcgee
Posts: 5955
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 13:30 pm

Re: Sports items lack of evidence.

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Fri Jul 27, 2012 19:33 pm

Briggo wrote:Yes you can eat a meal to achieve the same outcome but it's a lot more convenient to make up a yummy summer fruits protein shake and consume it.

You'll still need to eat though.

User avatar
Briggo
Posts: 3649
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 16:55 pm

Re: Sports items lack of evidence.

Postby Briggo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 08:43 am

YeehaaMcgee wrote:
Briggo wrote:Yes you can eat a meal to achieve the same outcome but it's a lot more convenient to make up a yummy summer fruits protein shake and consume it.

You'll still need to eat though.


Well I should expect that sort of response from your good self.

Lets not be so selective to suit your argument and respond to the whole peice, where I state its paramount for me to have some form of nutritional intake straight after hard exercise, where it may not be convenient to have a meal e.g. pasta n meat to recover and the ease of creating a recovery drink to achieve the same outcome (i.e. providing an initial intake your body needs of carbs & protein) is more convenient depending on the situation at the end of the ride. It gives you the intake your body needs to start the recovery cycle, which an appropriate meal later on compliments that and does the real work needed.

I don't believe I ever stated I'd replaced all food intake for the summer fruits recovery shake.

User avatar
YeehaaMcgee
Posts: 5955
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 13:30 pm

Re: Sports items lack of evidence.

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Sat Jul 28, 2012 09:10 am

I don't buy it. I don't believe there's a need for immediate protein intake. Just wait till you get some food.

User avatar
Briggo
Posts: 3649
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 16:55 pm

Re: Sports items lack of evidence.

Postby Briggo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 09:55 am

YeehaaMcgee wrote:I don't buy it. I don't believe there's a need for immediate protein intake. Just wait till you get some food.


Well experience dictates to me that I do feel it the next day if I don't take in the carbs and protein shortly after hard exercise, doesn't matter what format I get it in.

MagnePange
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 10:56 am

Re: Sports items lack of evidence.

Postby MagnePange » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:13 am

Sure it lacks evidence. A lot of stuff in sport lacks evidence. Most stuff I think actually. Even "science" in sports are more or less uneffective in the long therm perspective of an MTB riders life.

MTB riding goes on for years: even decades. Most science goes on for 6-10 week periods then the reports need to be written an publisched.....


Return to “Health, Fitness & Training”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests