Strava 'Bagging'

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
derbygrimpeur

Re: Strava 'Bagging'

Postby derbygrimpeur » Fri Jul 27, 2012 08:17 am

yes, not quite sure why it's taken him two years to upload it - maybe he's uploading old activities, but not sure why he'd go that far back. His actual ride is just a tootle along a bike path (Cloud Hill Trail to Derby and back), puts his bike and the car and sets a few KOMs on his way home.

thecrofter

Postby thecrofter » Fri Jul 27, 2012 09:06 am

derbygrimpeur wrote:had an e-mail telling me I'd lost a KOM this morning. Thought I'd share it with you before I flag it...

http://app.strava.com/rides/14828383#278184051

:lol:

Average 34.5mph and HR 72bpm......(scratches chin) :roll:
You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!

Dmak

Postby Dmak » Fri Jul 27, 2012 09:55 am

I flagged a couple of drives. Do these people do it on purpose?

jibberjim

Postby jibberjim » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:21 am

derbygrimpeur wrote:yes, not quite sure why it's taken him two years to upload it - maybe he's uploading old activities, but not sure why he'd go that far back. His actual ride is just a tootle along a bike path (Cloud Hill Trail to Derby and back), puts his bike and the car and sets a few KOMs on his way home.

I've got rides back over 4 years on Strava, obviously I didn't upload them at the time because Strava didn't exist - nothing weird about uploading them later (it takes moments to shove all your files into an email and send them in) Why would you not upload it to Strava if you want it as a record?
Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/

derbygrimpeur

Postby derbygrimpeur » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:24 am

Yes, sorry, I didn't mean not to upload old files to get records. But this fella's ride was a slow tootle along a bike path - why upload that?

I've flagged it now and got my KOM back :)

I don't think people do it on purpose. They just forget to stop their Garmin and upload the activity without editing it. It's probably more a case of being a bit thick.

springtide9

Postby springtide9 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:49 am

derbygrimpeur wrote:Yes, sorry, I didn't mean not to upload old files to get records. But this fella's ride was a slow tootle along a bike path - why upload that?

I've flagged it now and got my KOM back :)

I don't think people do it on purpose. They just forget to stop their Garmin and upload the activity without editing it. It's probably more a case of being a bit thick.

I think some people just use it for tracking their rides. Also people are uploading their GPS data in bulk... so are probably no bothering to look through their rides before uploading.

Flagging a ride is encouraged to correct some of the failings of Strava (and people's de-diligence).. and not something that should be contemplated over for too long to whether it is the right or wrong thing to do. The user who's ride has been flagged can request that Strava undo this (as I have previously flagged one of my own rides not knowing that 'flagged' actually meant!)
Simon

derbygrimpeur

Postby derbygrimpeur » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:58 am

ah, makes sense.

the_prophet

Postby the_prophet » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:59 am

springtide thanks for the add, good to have more people in the bristol area to follow and compete with

As said above, i use it as a way of logging my rides than using it to blow the leaderboard apart on every ride. its a good tool for those who dont have gps etc. the addition of the league tables is purely a bonus and a chance to have a play on a rest day.

i've only been using it on an off for the last few months, but hoping to use it more often going forward.

dw300

Postby dw300 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:23 pm

With regards to uploading seemingly pointless rides ..

I upload everything, including manually adding all my turbo sessions even if they short and low intensity. I just basically do it to get better stats, and monitor my training volume all in one place. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Also, that guy could have had hundreds of rides and it would take a while to weed through them to discard ones like that .. much easier to upload everything and delete later if you notice a dodgy one.

On a separate note .. I'd like to underline how Strava is great for comparing your own training to other peoples. People won't always verbally divulge to you exactly how much work they're actually doing! And as well as that, you might think you're really pushing your own limits, only to find out that some guy near you is putting in twice the effort .. making you question 'Am I really working as hard as I could?'
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Yes, I too upload tcx files of my turbo work - Trainer Road.
It is so that I can keep a handle on volume and intensity and stick to whatever training plan I am currently using.
Trainer Road will only log turbo work but Strava gives the fuller picture.
I noticed someone localish to me, who can manage 4 / 5 rides weekly and most of them minimum 60 milers ..I am assuming he does not have to work anymore...lucky sod...

CambsNewbie

Postby CambsNewbie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 15:02 pm

OMG!! I have created a monster! Just back from a ride. First thing is check strava! And I'm 8th out of 18 for one segment!!!!! How I don't know, the other most be truely awful!

I think this will be the death of me one way or another!! :D

dw300

Postby dw300 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 18:21 pm

Noticed 3 KoMs by Team BR today, we'll done folks! I got one on a completely innocuous descent, and tied one (which doesn't count unfortunately). Kudos given!

27 members so far..
Bike Radar Strava Club

Jez mon

Postby Jez mon » Sun Jul 29, 2012 18:46 pm

dw300 wrote:Noticed 3 KoMs by Team BR today, we'll done folks! I got one on a completely innocuous descent, and tied one (which doesn't count unfortunately). Kudos given!

27 members so far..

Haha, I only held that KOM because I was the first of my club to get to a computer, the run blew apart on the stretch, and unfortunately, both of the riders ahead of me also had strava!!

Gonna ride over to that bit of road during the week and get it back lol!
You live and learn. At any rate, you live
Twitter

thecrofter

Postby thecrofter » Sun Jul 29, 2012 19:19 pm

No KOM's today, but 7 PR's :D
You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Sun Jul 29, 2012 19:43 pm

thecrofter wrote:No KOM's today, but 7 PR's :D

I'm going out to PR some climbs after work tomorrow... although i may be being a little optimisitc.. it just depends which way the 14mph wind (27mph gusts!) is blowing :mrgreen:

also does anyone else get frustrated that you can't see the leaderboards by weight and leaderboards by age without premium membership?

Its just really annoys me.

dw300

Postby dw300 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 19:45 pm

Jez mon wrote:
dw300 wrote:Noticed 3 KoMs by Team BR today, we'll done folks! I got one on a completely innocuous descent, and tied one (which doesn't count unfortunately). Kudos given!

27 members so far..

Haha, I only held that KOM because I was the first of my club to get to a computer, the run blew apart on the stretch, and unfortunately, both of the riders ahead of me also had strava!!

Gonna ride over to that bit of road during the week and get it back lol!

Ha, hate that!

You're totally letting the side down, we want KoMs!! .. Only kidding, 7 PRs on one ride = Good Legs!
Bike Radar Strava Club

dw300

Postby dw300 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 19:52 pm

ALIHISGREAT wrote:

I'm going out to PR some climbs after work tomorrow... although i may be being a little optimisitc.. it just depends which way the 14mph wind (27mph gusts!) is blowing :mrgreen:

also does anyone else get frustrated that you can't see the leaderboards by weight and leaderboards by age without premium membership?

Weather sucked today! I hate the wind.

I'd love to get a look at those filtered leaderboards .. I suspected I'd own a few more KoMs than I currently do .. that could just be wishful thinking though.
Bike Radar Strava Club

ShutUpLegs

Postby ShutUpLegs » Sun Jul 29, 2012 21:06 pm

dw300 wrote:
ALIHISGREAT wrote:

Weather sucked today! I hate the wind.

I'd love to get a look at those filtered leaderboards .. I suspected I'd own a few more KoMs than I currently do .. that could just be wishful thinking though.

Why, are you old & fat :?:
I Like Black Bikes

dw300

Postby dw300 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 22:01 pm

ShutUpLegs wrote:

Just old and slow :(
Bike Radar Strava Club

ShutUpLegs

Postby ShutUpLegs » Mon Jul 30, 2012 07:46 am

dw300 wrote:
ShutUpLegs wrote:

Just old and slow :(

I meant to say old and heavy as opposed to fat :wink:

I find filtering on current week or month more helpful :lol:
I Like Black Bikes