which smartphone?

The centre for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
crispy1980

Re: which smartphone?

Postby crispy1980 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 20:58 pm

well i pretty much have made my mind up on the samsung. in all honesty its probably way more advanced than we need at the mo but its got to last two years so im thinking top at the momnet to last. ive got it for £28.50 per month, free phone, 600 mins , unlimited texts and 1gb of data on orange network. thnik the iphone may have been better for ease of use but i dont linke the way that apple have you under there control

karlbrewster

Postby karlbrewster » Thu Jul 05, 2012 00:55 am

oodboo wrote:
karlbrewster wrote:iPhone man... , battery lasts longer.

Longer than what? And if it does then that's only because of it's piddly little screen.

I easily get a days use (including about 3 hours of strava tracking) out of my phone and you can expect to need to charge a smartphone every night if you use it. Whenever I see a friends iphone it's on charge.

It lasts longer than its closest rival - the Samsung galaxy S series. I fully agree the screen is less than impressive though.

Montevideoguy

Postby Montevideoguy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 18:16 pm

I have to say that the battery life on my One S is pretty damn good (can get a day and a half), and I love the form factor of it. I just wish there was removable storage and a better screen... and the option to revert to stock ICS without rooting and sticking a custom rom on it.

Also, for "gorilla glass", the screen scratches far too easy for my liking.
Formally known as Coatbridgeguy

erinmills

Postby erinmills » Fri Jul 13, 2012 02:46 am

i'm using Galaxy S3 & i'm quite pleased so far. Though they could use a little upgrade in the battery life department..

anj132

Postby anj132 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 09:22 am

My wife recently got an S2 which worked out cheaper than the S3 and latest iphones, she didn't want to pay much over £20 a month. Similar iphone for price was the 3GS and doesn't really spec up to the S2. She wasn't keen on the size of the S2 at first - she had an xperia X10 mini pro before but now she loves it. It's great for fbook and the like.

crispy1980

Postby crispy1980 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 14:09 pm

had the phone for a week now and have to say it is excellent, does everything you want and more. as said, battery doesnt last too long but it does get some hammer. really pleased with it and would reccomend to anyone. also, some say that android is more difficult to use, well both me and the missus have never had one before but i we both find it pretty intuitive to use and have had no problems

lighty89

Postby lighty89 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 21:33 pm

BlackBerry for me, Bold 9900.
Brilliant for communication.
No crap apps, just a phone that's quick and isnt meant for time-wasting (got my iPad for that)?
MTB - VooDoo Bantu
Commuter - Raleigh Grande

bluechair84

Postby bluechair84 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 08:25 am

I've recently turned off data on my Defy which has increased battery life massively. I don't really need my phone to tell me when I have email as I'm close to a computer most of the time, I just turn it on when if I need to browse for something online. When it comes to strava, I can run it for hours and still have plenty of battery left now. I get over two days easily out of the phone having made this change.

grant64

Postby grant64 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 07:45 am

crispy1980 wrote:right, the missus has decided that she would like a smart phone for the first time. as im having another bike i cant moan too much! she mainly wants it for surfing the web plus the usual phone stuff. it is the first smartphone she has had so needs to be pretty esasy to use. i also want to use the gps function to track my cycling routes etc. looking at reviews im thinking that the best bet would either be samsung galaxy s3, sony xperia s or iphone 4 . trouble with the iphone is that the monthly costs seem to be more for the same level of data/minutes/texts than the android based phones? what would be your recommendations from the above? ( or any other you could recommend) cheers, chrisHome Voip

ps alos on experience, how much data per month should i be allowing for general web access?

At this point I say you wait another month until the iPhone 5 comes out and then evaluate your choices then.

Thanks,

Grant

allthegearnoidea

Postby allthegearnoidea » Wed Aug 08, 2012 07:56 am

And then you'll be on £40+ a month +£200+ for the handset and not necccesarily have a better handset!!
Timmo.
After all, I am Cornish!
http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481

oodboo

Postby oodboo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 08:01 am

grant64 wrote:At this point I say you wait another month until the iPhone 5 comes out and then evaluate your choices then.

Thanks,

Grant

Or you could read the thread and see that he already got the Galaxy SIII.
I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava

Return to “The Hub”