Your Anti-Rants here

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
roger merriman

Re: Your Anti-Rants here

Postby roger merriman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 08:20 am

nice weather for this weekend which is nice since planning a Birthday ride to BoxHill (ie before the speed bumps!) and Sunday I seem to be going to watch the Olympic MTBing which is a lovely surprise!

bails87

Postby bails87 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 09:11 am

I went for a very promising ride at the weekend. Managed over 15 miles and my knee* was still okay when I got home.

I was doing some HR zone 'training', so keeping my HR fairly low, which meant I wasn't pushing hard. That probably helped, but it's definitely improving. I might be back on for a commute soon :D

Just in time too, someone's nicked one of my KoMs :twisted:

*The case of the f*cked up knee has been with the police's 'decision panel' for over a month while they decide if driving straight into someone in broad daylight is a good idea or not.
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Mon Aug 13, 2012 14:14 pm

Peanut butter M&M's.

who knew?
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Asprilla

Postby Asprilla » Mon Aug 13, 2012 14:51 pm

After weeks of secret practice, The Mighty Pickle turned to her Mother and in a clear voice requested some aid with the task she was trying to accomplish by saying 'Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope'.

Jackpot.

Her next trick is going to be telling mummy when she thinks the shopping trolley is full by telling her that we need a bigger boat.

suzyb

Postby suzyb » Mon Aug 13, 2012 15:35 pm

Asprilla wrote:Her next trick is going to be telling mummy when she thinks the shopping trolley is full by telling her that we need a bigger boat.

Damn it now you have me trying to work out where that's from.

Kieran_Burns

Postby Kieran_Burns » Mon Aug 13, 2012 15:38 pm

suzyb wrote:
Asprilla wrote:Her next trick is going to be telling mummy when she thinks the shopping trolley is full by telling her that we need a bigger boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvCI-gNK_y4
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Mon Aug 13, 2012 15:52 pm

Asprilla wrote:After weeks of secret practice, The Mighty Pickle turned to her Mother and in a clear voice requested some aid with the task she was trying to accomplish by saying 'Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope'.

Jackpot.

Her next trick is going to be telling mummy when she thinks the shopping trolley is full by telling her that we need a bigger boat.

Heh. When you say secret practice, do you mean you cached her, or that she came out with it spontaneously?
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

Kieran_Burns

Postby Kieran_Burns » Mon Aug 13, 2012 16:00 pm

rjsterry wrote:
Asprilla wrote:After weeks of secret practice, The Mighty Pickle turned to her Mother and in a clear voice requested some aid with the task she was trying to accomplish by saying 'Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope'.

Jackpot.

Heh. When you say secret practice, do you mean you cached her, or that she came out with it spontaneously?

Well he did suggest she was storing it up.....

(I know it's a typo)
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Mon Aug 13, 2012 16:23 pm

A friend has just dropped off a second hand bike for the littl'un - apparently it is "pink and purple and bluuuuuue"
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Mon Aug 13, 2012 17:00 pm

Kieran_Burns wrote:
suzyb wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvCI-gNK_y4

Dont even need to watch the Clip,

One of the best lines from one of the best films ever. I am in fact reading the book ATM

:twisted:
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Sharkyssurfers

Postby Sharkyssurfers » Tue Aug 14, 2012 07:36 am

just past 5000 miles for this year that is all move along, this is not the biker you've been looking for :)
Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Tue Aug 14, 2012 16:54 pm

Like to say a big thank you to redvee, for sending me some crud race screws.

Also you cant beat German efficiency, Rose bikes I salute you for speed and price.

Topaxci

Postby Topaxci » Wed Aug 15, 2012 06:43 am

New road bike arrived last night :D

Rode it to work this morning and smashed 6 out of 7 Strava segments with new personal bests.
And we're still just getting to know each other, looking forward to the next few weeks. :)

The Fuggler

Postby The Fuggler » Wed Aug 15, 2012 14:13 pm

^^ Nice work indeed!

Head full of fluff and rubbish at the moment. Got out for a ride on some new roads and all is well with the world again. Happy days...
FCN 3 / 4

bails87

Postby bails87 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 09:21 am

Another slightly longer ride earlier in the week. Did 20 miles before deciding to quit while I was ahead, again at a low HR. The knee is a little achey again, but most definitely improving.

I found out yesterday that the driver will be being sent on a "Driver Alertness Course", which IMO is fair enough. She was nice enough at the scene after the collision, which happened because of dimness rather than any malice. If she'd been a pain about it or tried to blame me then I'd have pushed for points instead, but "look where your going, now give us £50" will do.
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

walkingbootweather

Postby walkingbootweather » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:26 am

Absolutely pee'd down on my way home last night. Some clown in a Golf thought it was hillarious to drive through a huge puddle soaking me in the progress. Shoes still damp for this mornings ride in.

Why in anti-rants?

I stopped off on my way home to see Kat Copeland show off her gold medal. In amongst the ceremony with lots of 'suits & chains' keen on the sound of their own voices, it was great to see Kat get down with the kids in the pouring rain to pose for pictures. Makes you proud.
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 07:42 am

tailwind...all the way to freakin work!

i was hold 30mph until i had to stop at the "anti-fun" gates on the track

marvelous

going to be hard going on the way home if its in my face though
Keeping it classy since '83

aclivity

Postby aclivity » Fri Aug 17, 2012 08:53 am

This morning - 11 months, 2 weeks and 4 days after I first started commuting to the station by bike - I passed my 1000th commuting mile. And I feel fantastic about it.

I know I am a minnow in a pool of carp on this forum, but it's a massive achievement for me.

The next 12 months have a plan which has already started of selling stuff on eBay to fund something aluminium framed with carbon forks, and goes on to building up mileage gradually, including some evening and weekend rides so that by the time the clocks go forward next spring I will be able to make the full 44 mile round trip into the office on two wheels, and by June will be able to cycle from home to Shap in one go (c. 70 miles) in preparation for the London 100 ride that I have foolishly signed up for in August.

I realise that my plan may need a little fleshing out, but these are some of my milestones so far, and I am relishing the challenge.

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 09:01 am

aclivity wrote:This morning - 11 months, 2 weeks and 4 days after I first started commuting to the station by bike - I passed my 1000th commuting mile. And I feel fantastic about it.

I know I am a minnow in a pool of carp on this forum, but it's a massive achievement for me.

The next 12 months have a plan which has already started of selling stuff on eBay to fund something aluminium framed with carbon forks, and goes on to building up mileage gradually, including some evening and weekend rides so that by the time the clocks go forward next spring I will be able to make the full 44 mile round trip into the office on two wheels, and by June will be able to cycle from home to Shap in one go (c. 70 miles) in preparation for the London 100 ride that I have foolishly signed up for in August.

I realise that my plan may need a little fleshing out, but these are some of my milestones so far, and I am relishing the challenge.

top banana!

good going

Nice area Shap, can be a wee bit windy though!
Keeping it classy since '83

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Mon Aug 20, 2012 09:55 am

New PB for a lap of Richmond park.

Got it just under 19 minutes.

W00p!

Return to “Commuting Chat”