Sports Drinks/What Fluid

Get fit for riding.
YeehaaMcgee

Re: Sports Drinks/What Fluid

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Wed Aug 15, 2012 14:30 pm

T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:I'm not actually sufficiently articulate or intelligent to offer a response, so I shall just make a snide remark without actually expressing any direct opinion.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Wed Aug 15, 2012 18:14 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:I'm not actually sufficiently articulate or intelligent to offer a response, so I shall just make a snide remark without actually expressing any direct opinion.

cube101

Postby cube101 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 14:55 pm

ohh T.M.H.N.E.T do elaborate please, always keen to learn!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Sat Aug 18, 2012 15:00 pm

cube101 wrote:ohh T.M.H.N.E.T do elaborate please, always keen to learn!

You first

cube101 wrote:The idea that water is not a good for hydration always makes me laugh.

Where did you get this idea from?

cube101

Postby cube101 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 15:14 pm

okay I see where you coming from.... a glib statment maybe,
but still, the BBC link is worth a watch, and ill keep enjoying my plain water bottle whilst out riding safe in knowledge that the BBC say it's as good as a branded sport drink ;-) at least for the level i'm at.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Sat Aug 18, 2012 15:28 pm

cube101 wrote:okay I see where you coming from.... a glib statment maybe,
but still, the BBC link is worth a watch, and ill keep enjoying my plain water bottle whilst out riding safe in knowledge that the BBC say it's as good as a branded sport drink ;-) at least for the level i'm at.

As it happens I've watched it many times, and disected the poor information to help some braindead forumites get a grasp of it many times also :D

You are aware though that the entire documentary was directed at 2x a week halfassed joggers rather than anyone who actually exercises for a purpose?

cube101

Postby cube101 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 15:43 pm

Yes.. i was being ironic and hence the reason I qualified my latest half arsed comment with 'for the level I’m at'
I guess we need to define parameters more clearly, as Panarama is not exactly highbrow, I kind of guessed that those involved in 'exercises for a purpose' would not be taking it with too much seriousness, or at least read around any research they use (or mis-use) but for us twice a week halfassed whatever’s the general premise of the program, or the bit I referenced could well hold true? a 500ml bottle of water will be just as effective at keeping you hydrated as a 500ml bottle of <insert brand> sport?
Anyway as I say applogies for my original glib statment, I should be more thoughtful when posting.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Sat Aug 18, 2012 22:03 pm

T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:

As it happens I've watched it many times, and disected the poor information to help some braindead forumites get a grasp of it many times also :D

You are aware though that the entire documentary was directed at 2x a week halfassed joggers rather than anyone who actually exercises for a purpose?

Not really true though, is it? Since they actually had a section on marathon runners.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Mon Aug 20, 2012 03:31 am

YeehaaMcgee wrote:
T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:

Not really true though, is it? Since they actually had a section on marathon runners.

Ok,since pedantry is all you have left to offer. "Almost all of the documentary was directed at 2x a week halfassed joggers"

ps: you reported my other posts didn't you? :lol:

springtide9

Postby springtide9 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 18:38 pm

T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:Ok,since pedantry is all you have left to offer. "Almost all of the documentary was directed at 2x a week halfassed joggers"
ps: you reported my other posts didn't you? :lol:

^^ this ^^

It's amazing how many people you see down the gym, obviously there to loose some weight, but drinking sports drinks for a 30 min spin class. They probably consume more calories in the drink than they burn during the session. Good for them for getting down the gym, but I will agree that some sports drinks/products are directed at people who don't need then in order to increase sales.

This is slightly different to someone that does 4+ hr rides of a reasonable intensity.
Simon

parf

Postby parf » Mon Jan 14, 2013 21:04 pm

i make my own energy drinks with glucose powder and green tea but lately i have been adding baobab powder and i am now riding further and quicker than ever. i dont think its a case of me getting fitter or stronger i am 45 and have been riding for 20 years. has anyone else heard of or use this stuff?

ckelly10

Postby ckelly10 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 16:49 pm

Great info...and I always thought sticking to water as apposed to buying stuff like Gatorade was better for me. Also nice comment about dehydration...I usually only really have a proper drink when I feel thirsty otherwise I just push on - will not be doing this in the future.

Concorde

Postby Concorde » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:54 pm

Going to look into making my own isotonic drinks as filling the water bladder with lucozade I def find better than just taking water with me.

Original post is a bit incorrect mind, the sodium in a drink does not promote water uptake in the body. if there's higher sodiun in the drink than in the body the water will move out of the body, not what we want. Hence, be careful on the salt you put in if you make your own isotonic drinks!

joolsabel

Postby joolsabel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 08:16 am

I've just started cycling again after 30 years and I'm losing weight and currently 17 stones. I live in hilly LAncashire and I did my first 24 miler last week and even though I completed it and felt brilliant, I was absolutely b****xed afterwards. Nearly passed out in supermarket later on.

I realise now that I should have taken some energy bars and electrolyte solution so the next ride I did I had an energy bar after about half and hour and drank some high 5 2:1 and once again completed the ride but was b*****xed afterwards. I am burning around 1800kcals and aim to eat around 1600-1800 a day on my diet. I use endomondo & myfitpal to track my food and I still had 1200 kcal's available at the end of the day which I did not eat.

This is probably a stupid question, but do I need to eat more energy bars / drink more carb fluid during the ride? Am on the hairy dieters diet. Very hilly where I live which is great for training. Dont want to be a racing snake just fit enough to complete a long charity cycle ride this year.

Any advice on nutrition greatly received!

Jools

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Thu Apr 04, 2013 08:47 am

Ditch the energy bars and carb drinks, they're just not needed on a ride that short. Build up your fitness instead, by building up to that distance. After a while, you'll cover that kind of distance without even thinking about it.

mmacavity

Postby mmacavity » Tue Jul 02, 2013 05:07 am

mmacavity

Postby mmacavity » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:00 am

Robert Lustig talking about sugar.
Gatorade gets a mention at about 1:00:00 in (the 5 to 10 minutes before it is also informative)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

neilus

Postby neilus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 20:05 pm

Interesting...i make my own juice/water/salt drink and definitely feel my stamina hugely improved over just water. But now ill be more night time mtbing, and sweating a fraction compared to a hot summers day...which is serious amounts!
So my question is; will the salt serve any purpose when not losing huge amounts of h20 via sweating? can i leave it out? Odd, i used an aromatic salt and it went kinda well with the apple juice!
Cheers

allmountainventure

Postby allmountainventure » Fri Oct 04, 2013 07:09 am

A few people have told me that you cant absorb more than 0.5 - 0.75L fluids per hour. Anything else just sits in your stomach.
True or false?

Redjeep!

Postby Redjeep! » Fri Oct 04, 2013 19:06 pm

Current recommendation is to drink to thirst, which will probably keep you under the 0.75l / hour space.

Return to “Health, Fitness & Training”