High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Get fit for riding.
Jonnoak
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 21:02 pm

High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby Jonnoak » Mon Jul 23, 2012 18:29 pm

Hi, been riding to work (only 2 miles each way) since about Jan.. Cut some out some of the rubbish I eat but still at about 15 1/2 stone (no weight loss). I've just started taking a longer route home and doing a few more miles for fun.. But what would be better for weight loss, standing in the highest possible gear I can or in the lowest going like the clappers not getting anywhere looking a bit daft ?

Any advise welcome.. could do with a little help :)

Cheers

User avatar
T.M.H.N.E.T
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:20 pm

Re: High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Mon Jul 23, 2012 18:39 pm

Try a gear that moves you forward as fast as you need to go. Grinding or spinning is irrelevant if your diet is crap or insufficient,fix that first.

estampida
Posts: 1001
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:35 am

Re: High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby estampida » Mon Jul 23, 2012 19:01 pm

single speed

gearing ideally 2:1

so a 16t rear cog, and a 32t chain ring for example

dont fixie it up, will hurt for the first few weeks, but just lack of maintenance is a winner

User avatar
YeehaaMcgee
Posts: 5955
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 13:30 pm

Re: High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Mon Jul 23, 2012 22:14 pm

Ignore the single speed "special" up there. On a real bike you can get 36/11 or 42/11 depending on the amount of chainrings you have.

Anyway - I'd suggest doing considerably more than 4 miles a day to lose weight - that's only about 15 minutes of cycling!

Jonnoak
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 21:02 pm

Re: High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby Jonnoak » Tue Jul 24, 2012 16:33 pm

Right, so basically sort my diet out (in progress) and get out more ?.. That's what I thought, but wondered if i could get more out of a necessary journey to work. Oh well !!, Cheers :)

User avatar
YeehaaMcgee
Posts: 5955
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 13:30 pm

Re: High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Tue Jul 24, 2012 19:07 pm

I've read some things recently that suggested a very high intensity workout can burn fat at an alarming rate (I had previously been told that such exercise tended to burn stored carbs and sugars, and that long, steady excercise burns fat better, what the hey) - so it might be worth absolutely blasting your ride home as hard and fast as you can, and see if you notice any difference.
Also, try to not sit down at all, stay standing.

I'd suggest taking it easy on the way IN to work though, since you have a full day to deal with, keep the crazyness till the ride home.

User avatar
T.M.H.N.E.T
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:20 pm

Re: High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Tue Jul 24, 2012 19:40 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:I've read some things recently that suggested a very high intensity workout can burn fat at an alarming rate (I had previously been told that such exercise tended to burn stored carbs and sugars, and that long, steady excercise burns fat better, what the hey) - so it might be worth absolutely blasting your ride home as hard and fast as you can, and see if you notice any difference.
Also, try to not sit down at all, stay standing.

I'd suggest taking it easy on the way IN to work though, since you have a full day to deal with, keep the crazyness till the ride home.

Short intense bursts burn a greater percentage of fat but long steady burns more overall calories. So you could cruise to work and kill it on the way home for the same effect.

User avatar
YeehaaMcgee
Posts: 5955
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 13:30 pm

Re: High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Tue Jul 24, 2012 19:45 pm

hello? Is there an echo in here?

User avatar
T.M.H.N.E.T
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:20 pm

Re: High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Tue Jul 24, 2012 20:20 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:hello? Is there an echo in here?

Well you didn't seem entirely sure that what you read was indeed correct. Congratulations it is.

User avatar
YeehaaMcgee
Posts: 5955
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 13:30 pm

Re: High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Tue Jul 24, 2012 20:23 pm

Nope, the "same effect" bit is what I'm on about.

User avatar
T.M.H.N.E.T
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:20 pm

Re: High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Tue Jul 24, 2012 20:30 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:Nope, the "same effect" bit is what I'm on about.

If it would cause you to lose sleep because two people said the same thing on the internet,Ill remove it for you

User avatar
YeehaaMcgee
Posts: 5955
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 13:30 pm

Re: High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Tue Jul 24, 2012 20:56 pm

It's the way you stated it, as though you were correcting, or improving on my suggestion, whereas you were actually suggesting precisely the same thing.

composite
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:06 am

Re: High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby composite » Fri Jul 27, 2012 09:51 am

Its the bloody odd couple in here. Hahah. :D

User avatar
njee20
Posts: 9491
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 20:06 pm

Re: High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby njee20 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:12 am

2 miles?

Run, you'll lose more weight!

Girya
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby Girya » Sat Jul 28, 2012 00:38 am

2miles? You didn't honestly think that amounted to enough for weight loss, 20 miles a week! :shock:

MagnePange
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 10:56 am

Re: High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby MagnePange » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:09 am

If you exercise and don´t loose weight you need to adjust the diet not the gears.
For a weight loos on exercise whitout diet adjustmenst you might need up to 120 minutes of exercise a day (every day in the week) in order to get a significant weight reduction. If you are wery overweight or obese that might be that you lose fat on a lesser extensive exercise program. But the main message is to reduce calories and keep up the good work on your bike!

crispy1980
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 20:44 pm

Re: High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby crispy1980 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 19:38 pm

how long does it take for the ride to work? if you are just gently cruising its not really going to do you any good, you need to be sweating for this to happen. my mate is a good example. he goes to llandegla at least once a week on his own and quite often does two red runs, BUT he goes at his own pace and dosnt push himself, so has found its not doing him much good.

User avatar
pilch
Posts: 1105
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 09:59 am

Re: High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby pilch » Tue Aug 21, 2012 09:03 am

T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:
YeehaaMcgee wrote:I've read some things recently that suggested a very high intensity workout can burn fat at an alarming rate (I had previously been told that such exercise tended to burn stored carbs and sugars, and that long, steady excercise burns fat better, what the hey) - so it might be worth absolutely blasting your ride home as hard and fast as you can, and see if you notice any difference.
Also, try to not sit down at all, stay standing.

I'd suggest taking it easy on the way IN to work though, since you have a full day to deal with, keep the crazyness till the ride home.

Short intense bursts burn a greater percentage of fat but long steady burns more overall calories. So you could cruise to work and kill it on the way home for the same effect.



Here's the science bit
A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer

User avatar
YeehaaMcgee
Posts: 5955
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 13:30 pm

Re: High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:08 pm

That's quite interesting - and also the polar opposite to what I read in several places for many years.
I wonder what caused the sudden shift in opinion on high intensity V sustained low intensity? Was there any research done before?

User avatar
pilch
Posts: 1105
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 09:59 am

Re: High or low gear for some weight loss ?

Postby pilch » Thu Aug 23, 2012 16:35 pm

Don't know about previous studies, I wasn't sure myself, I saw a programme a while ago which sort of said the same thing.... then I looked up 'fat burning' on Joe Friel's blog - he's pretty much the benchmark on cycle training IMO and he cites the case above.
A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer


Return to “Health, Fitness & Training”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests