The Fat Club

Get fit for riding.
rg001800

Re: The Fat Club

Postby rg001800 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 19:49 pm

Hi guys "my names Rich and I'm fat"...

Way about 150 kgs (23 stone). looking at getting a bike so that I can sort my life out (especially as i live really close to a national park), but really worried about what will be able to take my weight.

Not got much of a budget at really £150-£200 and would really appreciate some help. Not sure what to look for, what I might need to compramise on or what to do for the best really. Living so close to the park, I'll be in there most of the time so may get a git rough and rugged.

Please, please help gents - would love your recomendations.

Cheers

Rich

junglist_matty

Postby junglist_matty » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:26 am

rg001800 wrote:Hi guys "my names Rich and I'm fat"...

Way about 150 kgs (23 stone). looking at getting a bike so that I can sort my life out (especially as i live really close to a national park), but really worried about what will be able to take my weight.

Not got much of a budget at really £150-£200 and would really appreciate some help. Not sure what to look for, what I might need to compramise on or what to do for the best really. Living so close to the park, I'll be in there most of the time so may get a git rough and rugged.

Please, please help gents - would love your recomendations.

Cheers

Rich

Brand new you won't get much, the best sort of thing for that budget would be along the lines of this...

How tall are you?

Something like this is going to be all you'll get for your budget....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIAMONDBACK-O ... 153wt_1195

Strong enough, would be a good bike to use for loosing weight, you're not looking for a whippet, go out, do some time on the bike, don't worry about speed or distance.... Just go out and ride, count you're rides in number of hours, start with an aim to do something like 5 hours a week.
Don't get a cycle computer; just use a watch, ride for 30minutes in one direction then turn around and ride back. That's honestly the best solution to loosing weight.... Put the hours in and you'll burn off calories fast. Keep at it, I bet if you ride for 5 hours a week you'll loose in excess of 4lbs a week.

Food
DON'T eat any sweets, chocolate, cakes or crisps.... Avoid foods with saturated fats (i.e. anything fried).

DO:
Breakfast
- Healthy cereals; a bowl of cornflakes, branflakes, wheatabix, shredded wheat etc... Use raisins (not too many) instead of sugar.
- Eat Greek yoghurt mixed with fruit and oats in place of cereal
- Eat 2 slices of toast with a small bit of butter and jam (avoid low-fat spreads, they are rubbish - butter is natural just don't use too much)
- Drink Tea/Coffee with NO sugar / one glass of 100% fruit juice / water

Morning Snack:
- Fruit snacks; cut out ALL rubbish snack foods described above; snack on a banana or apple.
- Tea/Coffee with NO sugar

Water - Drink water throughout the day - helps your digestive system and helps from getting the hungry feeling.

Lunch
- Eat healthy, have a sandwich filled with chicken or Tuna, add lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber etc. to make it taste less boring (If you have to, use a very small amount of mayo or butter).
- Eat a yoghurt
- Eat more fruit
- Drink more water (sugar free fruit squash if you're fed up with water)

Afternoon snack:
same as morning snack, NO rubbish!!!

Drink more water

Dinner
Eat healthy, homemade food, it's not hard.... Stick to simple recipes like potatos, veg & meat/fish (NO sauces), Pasta with mince-meat, onions, tinned tomatoes & garlic.... Use you're head, you should know what is healthy and what isn't (ready meals are not healthy, use raw ingredients, cook yourself). Use oven chips (they are healthy if you don't plaster them with sauce) rather than fried chips.

Desert:
Fruit, nothing else.

Evening exercise:
Go do an hour on the bike

If you follow this sort of healthy living, you'll shed 50kgs in no time at all.... You won't miss the chocolates and rubbish foods once you stop eating them.... If you love things like fish & chips, indian takeaway etc... treat yourself every couple of weeks, it's not bad to eat it once in a while, it's bad to eat it all the time.

rg001800

Postby rg001800 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 20:11 pm

Thanks Matty.
Took the advice and bought the Diomondback - Been out 3 times now. First time my legs felt they were on fire, full of acid!!! Bit dissapointed on the first run as had to get off and have a breather, but carried on. Doing about 3 miles each time and trying to get out 3 times a week (also playing badminton once a week).
Really appreciate the advice on the grub too and going to sit down and work that out also. At the moment just trying to focus on getting some regular exercise and trying to enjoy myself - Cheers.

junglist_matty

Postby junglist_matty » Thu Aug 16, 2012 08:08 am

rg001800 wrote:Thanks Matty.
Took the advice and bought the Diomondback - Been out 3 times now. First time my legs felt they were on fire, full of acid!!! Bit dissapointed on the first run as had to get off and have a breather, but carried on. Doing about 3 miles each time and trying to get out 3 times a week (also playing badminton once a week).
Really appreciate the advice on the grub too and going to sit down and work that out also. At the moment just trying to focus on getting some regular exercise and trying to enjoy myself - Cheers.

Good for you mate.... Now you just gotta keep it up.

Have you got a phone with GPS (android / iPhone)? If so, get yourself the Strava application and GPS track your rides uploading them to Strava so you can keep track of your time on the bike (don't worry about speed or distance for now, it's all about time on the bike).
It will give you stats about your historical riding and it will help you to keep motivated when it's easy to think "I can't be arsed with the bike today" because you will get lots of those days.

Fantastic Mr Fox

Postby Fantastic Mr Fox » Tue Aug 21, 2012 21:51 pm

I'm 12 stone 9lbs and 6 foot tall. I need to loose about a stone and 3lbs I reckon for a London2Paris24 bike ride I'm doing (its 280 miles in 24 hours, pretty much non stop apart from quick food breaks every 35 miles and the ferry crossing) I'm in no hurry to loose weight as its not until July next year. But I figure that as its not possible to loose weight and gain muscle (or so I'm told) that I'd be better off shedding the weight early on and then being able to focus on building up muscle. I know I'm not exactly overweight, infact I'm in the correct BMI range its just I don't want to have to waste energy carrying excess weight.

I'm currently using a spreadsheet to count all my calories, aiming for about 2000 calories a day and drinking 2 protein shakes (before and after my daily bike ride) to minimize muscle loss. Obviously I'm eating very healthily with the odd off day (usually once a weak I'll have a meal out and some desert/chocolate).

I'm riding to a plan I have seen on t'interwebs. Which is:

Monday - Big ride (I'm working my way up and currently on a mountain bike, today's was 30 miles).
Tuesday - Small ride (meant to be 25% of the previous days, so I'll do probably 7-10 miles at the moment at lower pace)
Wednesday - Normal ride (probably around 15 miles).
Thursday - Interval training (about 7 miles, 3 minutes V02 max up a hill, 5 minutes 65%, repeat).
Friday - Normal ride (15 miles).
Weekend - Rest.

Does that sound good? Obviously I'm gradually stepping it up and I'm going to join a cycling club next summer for some chain gang rides to get used to formation cycling as I have no experience. I figure the winter will give me a good way of getting upto fitness whilst other club members will probably ease off a bit over winter.

So yeah, any tips or thoughts?

Fantastic Mr Fox

Postby Fantastic Mr Fox » Tue Aug 21, 2012 22:06 pm

rg001800 wrote:Thanks Matty.

Hello.

I used to weight 15 stone 3lbs, I lost a couple of stone using a calorie counting spreadsheet and it was really effective as it became a bit of a game and I was really aware of what I was eating. Obviously different things work for different people, but its perhaps worth considering. Also, keep doing the exercise as its important and does help with esteem and encourages you to keep up with the diet. But its far more effective to diet well, probably 80% diet to 20% exercise. I'd recommend swimming as its low impact and you'll burn lots of calories doing it. Get into a routine with it as well, don't just do it as and when as its tough to stick to and easier to make excuses.

This is one of my old spreadsheets, I can send you a blank one if you're interested.

wheeledwidewebb

Postby wheeledwidewebb » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:47 am

12/02/2010 was a good day :D

Puggy73

Postby Puggy73 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 20:27 pm

Saw this thread and thought it might be worth me posting my recent weight loss.

I bought a bike last August time with all the good intentions of using it to lose weight as a friend of my dads used that method, however when the bad weather came i basically wimped out riding to work (approx. 3 miles). However after being big pretty much my whole life trying fad diets like the Dr Atkins one (did work just didn't teach me how to eat properly) i got serious this January.

I started at 23 stone on Jan 3rd, I'm currently just below 14 Stone. Now i didn't use the bike as my sole exercise but as an occasional break from going to the gym. The main thing i did to lose weight however was through what and when i put into my mouth. Doing things such as having breakfast within the first 30 minutes of waking, snacking on fruits at set intervals in between meals so i wasn't eating all day, not eating too late at night and trying to restrict carbs at night and understanding a good balance between proteins and carbs and good fats to eat is a really awesome tool for burning fat.

Never felt better, and better yet I now don't feel like "the fat guy" of the group. Stick at it!

Fantastic Mr Fox

Postby Fantastic Mr Fox » Thu Aug 30, 2012 23:13 pm

That's some mega weight loss! Nice one. Now the tough challenge will be to adjust to a more sustainable diet long term and then to keep it off. Good luck!

Puggy73

Postby Puggy73 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 21:43 pm

Yeah, well I'll be keeping to the same principles of structuring when I eat and keeping exercise as hobbies (hence the MTB'ing) to help keep it off, once i knew I could get down this far I've always considered the biggest challenge is keeping it off, I can't just go back to how i was before with careless eating habits. I'm also becoming one of those strange people who enjoys going to the gym so i may as well focus on that too for a while.

junglist_matty

Postby junglist_matty » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:15 am

Fantastic Mr Fox wrote:I'm 12 stone 9lbs and 6 foot tall. I need to loose about a stone and 3lbs I reckon for a London2Paris24 bike ride I'm doing (its 280 miles in 24 hours, pretty much non stop apart from quick food breaks every 35 miles and the ferry crossing

You're 177lbs and 6ft tall.... That's not fat; in fact, it's even considered "NORMAL" weight on BMI (24).

On the other hand, I'm 6ft 2" and weigh in at 215lbs; according to BMI I'm "OVERWEIGHT" with a BMI of 27.6

London to Paris in 24 hours? Easily do-able; you'd only need an average speed of 15mph including rest and ferry crossing.... That's a recovery pace for any decent road rider, all you need to do is get out on your bike and ride, start training now, ensure you're doing at least 100miles a week for a good couple of months before the event and you'll do it without any problem.

Fantastic Mr Fox

Postby Fantastic Mr Fox » Fri Sep 07, 2012 13:55 pm

junglist_matty wrote:
Fantastic Mr Fox wrote:I'm 12 stone 9lbs and 6 foot tall. I need to loose about a stone and 3lbs I reckon for a London2Paris24 bike ride I'm doing (its 280 miles in 24 hours, pretty much non stop apart from quick food breaks every 35 miles and the ferry crossing

You're 177lbs and 6ft tall.... That's not fat; in fact, it's even considered "NORMAL" weight on BMI (24).

On the other hand, I'm 6ft 2" and weigh in at 215lbs; according to BMI I'm "OVERWEIGHT" with a BMI of 27.6

London to Paris in 24 hours? Easily do-able; you'd only need an average speed of 15mph including rest and ferry crossing.... That's a recovery pace for any decent road rider, all you need to do is get out on your bike and ride, start training now, ensure you're doing at least 100miles a week for a good couple of months before the event and you'll do it without any problem.

Its 280 miles in 24 hours with a rest stop every 35 miles, average speed is around 17mph. Out of 200+ of club riders last year, 30 did it.

Its not as easy as you seem to think. Either way I'm down to 12'6 now, only a stone to go.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Fri Sep 07, 2012 14:34 pm

junglist_matty wrote:

BMI is a totally useless measurement of anything. It's just a number that can go up or down.

junglist_matty

Postby junglist_matty » Mon Sep 10, 2012 13:38 pm

T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:
junglist_matty wrote:

BMI is a totally useless measurement of anything. It's just a number that can go up or down.

On the whole, BMI is accurate enough for the majority of the population.... The cases it's not good is people like rugby players, weight lifters etc... who are well built and obviously weigh more than the average person of the same height.
If you are in the NORMAL BMI range, it's highly unlikely you are going to be fat; there are possibly some cases where people have abnormally low muscle mass and lots of fat, but you certainly wouldn't be able to ride a bike with that little muscle.... BMI tells nothing about health, but it is a good indication for the majority of people and if anyone is in the NORMAL range, they are not really fat, maybe slightly over-weight, but in reality, they are certainly not going to be more than a stone overweight.

styxd

Postby styxd » Mon Sep 10, 2012 13:45 pm

what is "overweight"?

Dazzaster

Postby Dazzaster » Mon Sep 10, 2012 20:43 pm

seen this and feel i need to join in!

im Darren and im a fatass!

im 6ft1 and was 20.9stone... 3 weeks ago i began to try the slimfast shakes (1 for brekki, 1 for lunch and a proper dinner ) i've been going to the gym once a week as i work stupid shifts ( support worker ). i completely stopped snacking and have been rather (not too) cautious about what im now eating. after 2 week i had lost a stone which i was happy as a start, my aim is to get down to 16.5/17 stone by new year. i know i'll never be slim as i have always been stocky since i was young and rugby was my main thing until a spinal injury stopped me. now back on a bike im hoping to shift some weight quicker than just gym'in it alone.

Fantastic Mr Fox

Postby Fantastic Mr Fox » Wed Sep 12, 2012 16:22 pm

junglist_matty wrote:
T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:
junglist_matty wrote:

On the whole, BMI is accurate enough for the majority of the population.... The cases it's not good is people like rugby players, weight lifters etc... who are well built and obviously weigh more than the average person of the same height.
If you are in the NORMAL BMI range, it's highly unlikely you are going to be fat; there are possibly some cases where people have abnormally low muscle mass and lots of fat, but you certainly wouldn't be able to ride a bike with that little muscle.... BMI tells nothing about health, but it is a good indication for the majority of people and if anyone is in the NORMAL range, they are not really fat, maybe slightly over-weight, but in reality, they are certainly not going to be more than a stone overweight.

Its not that I'm over weight, just that I want to lose the weight for performance reasons. I'd never drop so much that I would be under my BMI, with my target weight I'll be somewhere in the middle. At the moment my BMI is just over 23 at 12 stone 6, potentially I could go down to 9 stone 8 and still be in the healthy BMI zone, but I'm aiming for 11 stone 6 so its all good.

Fantastic Mr Fox

Postby Fantastic Mr Fox » Wed Sep 12, 2012 16:44 pm

Dazzaster wrote:seen this and feel i need to join in!

im Darren and im a fatass!

im 6ft1 and was 20.9stone... 3 weeks ago i began to try the slimfast shakes (1 for brekki, 1 for lunch and a proper dinner ) i've been going to the gym once a week as i work stupid shifts ( support worker ). i completely stopped snacking and have been rather (not too) cautious about what im now eating. after 2 week i had lost a stone which i was happy as a start, my aim is to get down to 16.5/17 stone by new year. i know i'll never be slim as i have always been stocky since i was young and rugby was my main thing until a spinal injury stopped me. now back on a bike im hoping to shift some weight quicker than just gym'in it alone.

I'd suggest on the days you go to the gym that you have some form of protein before/after and some carbs before, otherwise you won't be able to give the gym 100%. Also beware that although on the shakes you can drop weight really fast, you can also pick it up really fast after and your weight loss will slow as you get down to a more sensible BMI. As for the 'I'm a stocky build' thing, that's generally the excuse people use for not losing as much weight as they should. Try and put the stocky excuse aside and just get to your correct BMI range.

redbikejohn

Postby redbikejohn » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:19 am

Hi everyone. My first Post is here as i didn't see a 'post your welcome here' thread in the beginers forum.

Anyway - yes i'm fat too. Been like that most of my life (11.5 pounds at birth!) with exception to two years in the army in SA and a few years back when i realy got into MTB'ing in a big way. realy enjoyed it and got out about four times a week doing between 14 and 20 miles a day. Then i got back into dirt bike (with engines) and it been a slippery slope ever since. I'm now 95 plus kg but only 1.7 something tall so not a lard bucket like some but still overweight. i need to lose weight and get fit to increase my performance on the race track (enduro and xc on dirt bikes). The problem is i just find it so hard to motivate myself. it just way too easy to get home and turn the tv on or go on-line to a forum of one sort or another. my riding partner got a kid (so don't see him much) and i'm so bloody lazy! sit down at work most of the time too :roll:

SilverSenator

Postby SilverSenator » Tue Oct 30, 2012 18:32 pm

Can't believe it's almost 3 years since I last posted here.
Lost around 7 stone since my last post too.
So for all of those starting on your weight loss journey I'm proof it can be done.
Starting Weight: 25 st 13.44 lbs - On: 20/05/09
Current Weight: 16 st 7 lbs - On: 10/11/12
Weight Loss: 9 st 6.44 lbs
Current BMR: 2095 Calories

Return to “Health, Fitness & Training”