The Canyon bikes thread

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
euans2

Re: How many people have bought Canyons?

Postby euans2 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 18:03 pm

jizzleb wrote:Just thought I would let people know who are currently waiting for their bike. I ordered a Nerve XC last week. I received an email on Friday saying it was going to be shipped shortly however today I received this email

" Your Canyon order is ready to ship but we found a problem with your card when we tried to take payment.

The problem affecting your order is part of a wider problem relating to the roll out of the 3D security software on the European mainland. Please can we ask you to be patient while it is resolved during the next 48hrs.

As soon as the problem is resolved the order will be passed UPS and you will receive an email with a link to the online UPS tracking for your order. Then delivery to a mainland UK address typically takes three days. UPS will attempt to deliver three times on the three consecutive days."

Nothing major but you might find a few days delay on your order.

That's not Canyons fault, that's the security features that the banks put in place to help prevent fraudulent use of of our cards. I got the same email after my bank had already called me, the issue was sorted in less than half an hour.

compo

Postby compo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 21:49 pm

When mine was ordered they initially blocked the card. A quick call to the bank and it could be ordered. A very good system if you ask me, stops fraud etc

Jimx26

Postby Jimx26 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 21:56 pm

Took a couple of goes with mine also despite the bank telling me they had not rejected the payment. Canyon sent me another payment link and it all went through ok and they dispatched the bike same day,

user7743

Postby user7743 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 07:13 am

Hi all,

An expat living in Germany here. I recently got myself a Canyon AM 7.0 second hand and so far loving it. I have been away from bikes for many years. Now having bought my bike second hand I have never had to have any direct contact with Canyon UK or DE... However...

playasyougo wrote:Painey, I know your frustration with the level of service from Canyon UK and Germany’s HQ. The HQ seem to just shrug off enquiries good and bad if they are from the UK. They must genuinely not be bothered or just want to leave it all to the UK side who they must think is on the ball with everything.

Unfortunately that seems to be just German customer service for you. I am sure many Germans who have experience of the UK or the US for example will agree, German service simply pales in comparison. I have had the "don't give a damn" attitude from pretty much everyone be that BMW after sales care or the local supermarket so don't think its just because your in the UK, chances are you could get the same attitude if your were a German customer in Germany. However, that's not to say you cannot get good service in Germany, it just seems to not necessarily be the norm.

German service foibles aside, I don't think I would hesitate to buy a new Canyon based on the quality of what I got as a second hand bike.

jizzleb

Postby jizzleb » Tue Aug 07, 2012 08:19 am

compo wrote:When mine was ordered they initially blocked the card. A quick call to the bank and it could be ordered. A very good system if you ask me, stops fraud etc

I initially had a problem where the card wouldn't go through. The bank then called and checked a few security bits and bobs and it went through via the canyon website, however I then received the email from them so not sure if it's completely linked.

Either way can't wait for the bike!
Canyon Nerve XC
Spec Allez
GT XCR SingleSpeed
GT Dyno

steve_muzzy

Postby steve_muzzy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 07:22 am

poppit wrote:I suppose its just how it is buying over the net, mostly its fine sometimes things take a bit longer. We've all probably had to wait longer than we thought for stuff, I'm sure it'll work out ok.

The issue is that when I first ordered the bike I was told it would be delivered on week 30

That was already a 8 week wait, however one I was more than prepared to do for such a great bike and I was aware of this at time of order - now its week 33 come Monday and I still have nothing from UPS, to be fair CAnyon got back to me within 48 hours to say there was a slight dealy in manufacture but that my bike was ready - however nothing since then (this was last Friday)

I think the bike will be great and I can't wait to ride it, however quite envious of the people who ordered one and got it a week later:(

jizzleb

Postby jizzleb » Tue Aug 14, 2012 08:49 am

Not usually one to provide such a review but having recently received a new Nerve XC 7.0 I was very impressed with the service from Canyon. Email responses were quick and phone call's were answered without delay. There was a problem with the credit card initially but I was updated accordingly whilst they sorted out the problem.

The bike itself is excellent, build quality is great, everything in order. Packaged well and delivery times were quicker than expected (by about 3 weeks). There is slight chip on the bottom of the fork lowers which I have emailed them about but it's just one of those things.

Personally not having a LBS near by and doing most maintenance myself it was of no benefit for me to purchase from an LBS, and cost saving for the spec on the Canyon is pretty much unbeatable at the moment IMO.

I have only been riding for around 4 years and this is the second "proper" bike I have purchased so I am very inexperienced and have little comparison however it's a thumbs up for Canyon from me.
Canyon Nerve XC
Spec Allez
GT XCR SingleSpeed
GT Dyno

frazered

Postby frazered » Wed Aug 15, 2012 17:05 pm

canyon sale now on - nerve am 7 in mamba is very tempting!

euans2

Postby euans2 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 18:15 pm

frazered wrote:canyon sale now on - nerve am 7 in mamba is very tempting!

Thats what I have, glad I took the plunge

poppit

Postby poppit » Wed Aug 15, 2012 18:51 pm

frazered wrote:canyon sale now on - nerve am 7 in mamba is very tempting!

It's Sparbuch time.
Eddy Merckx EMX-3
Cougar Zero Uno
Canyon Nerve AM 8.0
Genesis Core 50
Mekk Pista T1

steve_muzzy

Postby steve_muzzy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 07:28 am

my strive finally arrived yesterday (3.5 weeks late!) however my god the wait was worth it

Took it for an installation ride at Carron Valley (local trail, more fun than technical) and the bike really impressed, very composed over rock gardens and despite being a bit on the hefty side climbed well, especially with the shock wound down - really not sure on the Fat Albert tyres though, they just seem to lack bite and the back end was quite loose... I also have a what seems typical Reverb problem and only getting 60/70 mm of travel (should be 125)

For anyone not sure about getting one I my experience was overall quite good, yes the bike was late but I got some compensation for this and the end product is well worth it, we met a guy with a nuke proof mega (direct competitor) on the trail, he had spent £300 more than me and had less of a bike, we swapped shots and he admitted mine rode better :):) - I also see that the model up ES8 is now under £2000 which is a phenomenal price for the spec

On arrival the bike took 5 minutes to put together and another 5 to get the shock and forks set to my weight/sag likeness. I am not sure the "bike Guard" was more than a sturdy bike box but the bike got here with no damage and was really well packed

Soong

Postby Soong » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:55 am

Every calculator I try says 58/60 but the Canyon site says 56.

I'm 6' 2" (188cm) with a 33.5" (85cm) inseam.

Can others with a Canyon frame please let me know what you went for? Thanks.

steve_muzzy

Postby steve_muzzy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:08 pm

5ft 10, shortish legs longer body than average, medium fits like a glove

jizzleb

Postby jizzleb » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:14 pm

steve_muzzy wrote:5ft 10, shortish legs longer body than average, medium fits like a glove

Same here. Medium XC fits perfectly even though website said small.
Canyon Nerve XC
Spec Allez
GT XCR SingleSpeed
GT Dyno

Sumi

Postby Sumi » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi guys,

Trying to get a 29er from them but everything on the site is next to sold out in my size (im 189cms tall) and i really desperate to get a hold of one.

Anywhere else i can get them besides their website?

poppit

Postby poppit » Sun Aug 26, 2012 13:08 pm

Sumi wrote:Hi guys,

Trying to get a 29er from them but everything on the site is next to sold out in my size (im 189cms tall) and i really desperate to get a hold of one.

Anywhere else i can get them besides their website?

If there is I've not heard of it, as far as I know it's internet only.
Eddy Merckx EMX-3
Cougar Zero Uno
Canyon Nerve AM 8.0
Genesis Core 50
Mekk Pista T1

yanktanks

Postby yanktanks » Sun Aug 26, 2012 13:28 pm

Hi Guys

Just brought a Nerve 8.0x and have been told delivery next week can't wait

poppit

Postby poppit » Mon Aug 27, 2012 07:46 am

I just wish the weather was a bit better so I could actually get out more on mine, using the hardtail more often than not at the moment.

It'll be interesting to see what affect the improving exchange rates have on the spec and the prices of 2013 bikes.
Eddy Merckx EMX-3
Cougar Zero Uno
Canyon Nerve AM 8.0
Genesis Core 50
Mekk Pista T1

Woody80

Postby Woody80 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 07:52 am

poppit wrote:I just wish the weather was a bit better so I could actually get out more on mine, using the hardtail more often than not at the moment.

Just go and get it dirty!

lm_trek

Postby lm_trek » Tue Aug 28, 2012 18:35 pm

My OH ordered the Nerve 8.0w yesterday, got the invoice comfirming payment today, estimated delivery time is week 35, according to there website thats this week?? whats the chances of getting a despatched email tomorrow??

The reason we went for one was the value for money, just can't beat it, had to go for the smallest frame, might have to tinker with the stem etc when it comes but looks like a great little bike, and if it gets my OH out more often on the bike then its worth every penny.

Return to “MTB General”