The demise of Women's cycling

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Daz555

Re: The demise of Women's cycling

Postby Daz555 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:18 am

I see the track trio of King, Rowsell and Trott are in the RR shortlist. What are the odds of them being involved?
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:25 am

Only if GB want a revolt on their hands from Armitstead, Pooley, Cooke and co, if even just 1 of the King-Rowsell-Trott trio were to be selected for the final team and take the place of an experienced roadie

Daz555

Postby Daz555 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:28 am

Richmond Racer wrote:Only if GB want a revolt on their hands from Armitstead, Pooley, Cooke and co, if even just 1 of the King-Rowsell-Trott trio were to be selected for the final team and take the place of an experienced roadie

Maybe. I think Trott will be awesome on the road when/if she makes the moved but yeah - probably best to blood them in some slightly less high-profile events!

inkyfingers

Postby inkyfingers » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:30 am

How many places do Team GB have in the Women's RR?
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

Daz555

Postby Daz555 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:37 am

inkyfingers wrote:How many places do Team GB have in the Women's RR?

Elite Women – Road Race (7 to start)
Lizzie Armitstead
Hannah Barnes
Katie Colclough
Nicole Cooke
Catherine Hare
Nikki Harris
Dani King
Sharon Laws
Emma Pooley
Joanna Rowsell
Emma Trott
Laura Trott

Elite Women – Time Trial (2 to start)
Wendy Houvenaghel
Sharon Laws
Emma Pooley
Julia Shaw

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:46 am

7 places.

Out of:

Lizzie Armitstead
Hannah Barnes
Katie Colclough
Nicole Cooke
Catherine Hare
Nikki Harris
Dani King
Sharon Laws
Emma Pooley
Joanna Rowsell
Emma Trott
Laura Trott

You'd have thought the first 6 would pick themselves:

Lizzie Armitstead
Hannah Barnes
Katie Colclough
Nicole Cooke
Sharon Laws
Emma Pooley

Then probably Emma Trott. Also Nikki Harris has upped the amount of road racing she's been doing this season. Sarah Storey would have been a decent bet given how she's been racing in the UK this year, but I guess the Paralympics are just too close to the Worlds.

7 is probably a lot of places for GB to fill for a Worlds team given that we dont actually have a lot of women competing at the top level, as another poster's noted.

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:59 am

disgruntledgoat wrote:
frenchfighter wrote:Yeah a little harsh I know. I have no idea about the club you refer to - what is it?

People who work there, at all levels, get generous discounts on clothing, bikes and equipment. I live about 30 miles from the call centre in Irvine and it's quite usual to see groups of folks clad head to toe in Sky gear on Pinarellos.

Also, there were a group of about 15 doing the Flanders sportive when I was there last year, they said the company had paid their entries and contributed to the minibus to get them over there.

Got it. Perks for employees...thought this was something good for members of the public.
Contador is the Greatest

knedlicky

Postby knedlicky » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:48 am

Richmond Racer wrote:7 places.
Out of:

Lizzie Armitstead
Hannah Barnes
Katie Colclough
Nicole Cooke
Catherine Hare
Nikki Harris
Dani King
Sharon Laws
Emma Pooley
Joanna Rowsell
Emma Trott
Laura Trott

You'd have thought the first 6 would pick themselves:

Lizzie Armitstead
Hannah Barnes
Katie Colclough
Nicole Cooke
Sharon Laws
Emma Pooley

Then probably Emma Trott.

Based on performances this season, Sharon Laws should be an automatic choice in the RR team, together with Pooley.
To them, I’d add the top 5 in the list above (so Hare instead of your suggestion, Emma Trott).

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:51 am

Sure, I wasnt very clear - I meant 6 of the 7 names would pick themselves, rather than the first 6 names in the list pasted from the BC website.

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:59 am

Misleading thread title.
We're in a genesis phase for the appreciation of women's cycling in this country; not the the demise... I just think we're in that bit where all companies/organisations who could make a difference are stood around shrugging their shoulders saying "we're looking to action a move forward in this space [what is it? Women's cycling? Oh yeah]... but until our stakeholders see some low-hanging fruit, our hands are tied on this one, etc..."

It was the same with environmental issues: 10/15 years ago you were pinko/green anti-progress hippy if you voiced concerns about untenable industrial or social practices in terms of pollution or ecological damage - most companies were too busy with their heads in the trough. Now it's on pretty much every boardroom agenda.

It's just a bloody shame that in the meantime, there are going to be many women who drift away from racing because the rewards are so meagre.

Dorset Boy

Postby Dorset Boy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:17 pm

If he's a trader, surely Frenchie could redirect some of his bonus into sponsoring a women's team..... :lol:

I do think there is a vicious circle in play, and unless the UCI change their stance, things will remain difficult for the women. It needs the UCI to provide some sort of incentive for the pro-tour teams to run a ladies team, as well as including some of the women's races in the TV packages sold to broadcasters, or give the TV rights away free for a period to help attract sponsors.

All in all, it needs kick starting, and I'd have thought the UCI, in conjunction with some of the pro-tour teams, are the ones to do this.

Le Commentateur

Postby Le Commentateur » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:32 pm

But it's the race owners who sell the TV rights, not the UCI. That's what the war with ASO was all about a few years ago. Until someone can persuade the people that own the big races to include a women's event in their portfolio, either as a standalone race or as an auxilliary event such as in Tour of Flanders or Fleche-Wallonne, we won't see much on TV. Wish somebody would pick up the Giro Donne coverage, at least that's an hour-a-day of ready-made highlights just needing an English voice-over.

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Wed Sep 05, 2012 13:56 pm

Dorset Boy wrote:If he's a trader, surely Frenchie could redirect some of his bonus into sponsoring a women's team..... :lol:

Perhaps he's more of a merchant banker?

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Wed Sep 05, 2012 14:03 pm

Dorset Boy wrote:All in all, it needs kick starting, and I'd have thought the UCI, in conjunction with some of the pro-tour teams, are the ones to do this.

You'd think so, wouldn't you...

I'll admit to very limited knowledge of who else pulls the strings in the UCI bunker other than McQuaid and a couple of others, but the general sense I get from them is that they've hitched a ride on a fast train, but they're all in the seats facing backwards... And in the buffet car.
Perhaps this Armstrong thing might lead to a bit of a cull and an opportunity to rid the sport of some of those in the UCI who "lost their way" when certain teams and riders were losing theirs...

Dorset Boy

Postby Dorset Boy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 14:22 pm

OCDuPalais wrote:
Dorset Boy wrote:All in all, it needs kick starting, and I'd have thought the UCI, in conjunction with some of the pro-tour teams, are the ones to do this.

You'd think so, wouldn't you...

I'll admit to very limited knowledge of who else pulls the strings in the UCI bunker other than McQuaid and a couple of others, but the general sense I get from them is that they've hitched a ride on a fast train, but they're all in the seats facing backwards... with their snouts deep, deep in the trough.
Perhaps this Armstrong thing might lead to a bit of a cull and an opportunity to rid the sport of some of those in the UCI who "lost their way" when certain teams and riders were losing theirs...

FIFU

knedlicky

Postby knedlicky » Wed Sep 05, 2012 16:49 pm

Dorset Boy wrote:It needs the UCI to provide some sort of incentive for the pro-tour teams to run a ladies team, ....
All in all, it needs kick starting, and I'd have thought the UCI, in conjunction with some of the pro-tour teams, are the ones to do this.

But some pro-tour teams do already run women’s teams – Lotto, Rabobank, Skil-Argos, Greenedge-Orica. Some smaller sponsors also back both men’s and women’s teams.

Rather than just expecting Sky or some other sponsor to do the promotion work for women’s cycling, one could also hope BC could do more to popularise things.

mroli

Postby mroli » Wed Sep 05, 2012 21:37 pm

frenchfighter wrote:
disgruntledgoat wrote:
frenchfighter wrote:Yeah a little harsh I know. I have no idea about the club you refer to - what is it?

People who work there, at all levels, get generous discounts on clothing, bikes and equipment. I live about 30 miles from the call centre in Irvine and it's quite usual to see groups of folks clad head to toe in Sky gear on Pinarellos.

Also, there were a group of about 15 doing the Flanders sportive when I was there last year, they said the company had paid their entries and contributed to the minibus to get them over there.

Got it. Perks for employees...thought this was something good for members of the public.

Sky velo is the club. http://skyvelo.co.uk/about-the-club/

If you want something that benefits the wider cycling community try the UK wide sky rides.

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 09:05 am

Contador is the Greatest

inkyfingers

Postby inkyfingers » Thu Sep 06, 2012 09:07 am

frenchfighter wrote:Solo win for Pooley yesterday:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... e-win.html

Thanks for the link. Looks like she's coming into form nicely for the worlds.
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Just a thought, we have an hour and a half of the "sprint" race live from Canada this evening on Eurosport, where is the women's race?

Return to “Pro Race”