Computers on kids bikes?

Want to get your kids on two wheels? Got any general 'family biking' questions? Chat here

Computers on kids bikes?

A terrible idea - kids need to just have fun without measuring their performance
33%
A great idea - we all like to know how fast we are going and how far we have been
67%
How else are they going to develop good cadence and know if they working at their target heart rate?
No votes

Total votes: 12

walkingbootweather

Computers on kids bikes?

Postby walkingbootweather » Sun Sep 02, 2012 17:17 pm

My 7 year old is badgering me for a bike computer just like his Dad. Do I get him one and if so which one?
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

grizedaleforest

Re: Computers on kids bikes?

Postby grizedaleforest » Sun Sep 02, 2012 17:49 pm

Courses you do. It's part of the fun. But all they'll really want to know is how fast they go and how far they've gone - so the cheapest, simplest one you can find that does that is the one to get.

fnegroni

Postby fnegroni » Mon Sep 03, 2012 18:37 pm

I think it depends on the kid's age and behavior.

I put a computer on my son's bike when he was four, and all he did was stare at the computer to figure out if he were going faster than before, paying less attention to the road.

After a couple of near misses, I decided to remove the device and he started looking where he was going, rather than down on the handlebar.

Simon E

Postby Simon E » Tue Sep 04, 2012 21:46 pm

walkingbootweather wrote:My 7 year old is badgering me for a bike computer just like his Dad. Do I get him one and if so which one?

You're his dad. It's your call, not mine.
Aspire not to have more, but to be more.

Daz555

Postby Daz555 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 02:31 am

walkingbootweather wrote:My 7 year old is badgering me for a bike computer just like his Dad. Do I get him one and if so which one?

I voted no but I suppose as he has expressed an interest why not. My prime concern would be as raised above - that he will be distracted by it.
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

familyonabike

Postby familyonabike » Sat Sep 08, 2012 18:50 pm

I put some on the stoker positions on our tandems when we were touring so the kids would stop asking 'how much further?' They really enjoyed keeping track of distances, max speed, averages etc. and it made quite a difference to their performance and contribution too. Not so sure about on their own bikes though, especially younger if it's going to distract. I guess it all depends upon the child and their skills and attitude regarding using it vs concentrating on the road/ride.
Bored of routine? Embrace adventure. Everyday. http://familyadventureproject.org

cycle monster

Postby cycle monster » Tue Sep 18, 2012 21:14 pm

Computers are great. My boys want the same as Daddy's and love to see themselves achieve new milestones and to learn about time, distance etc. Kids tend not to stare at them and keep failing off, they learn the first time, if it happens. I cannot comment on the perceived problem of taking one's eye off the road, as this is the off road section.

zummerzet-lou

Postby zummerzet-lou » Mon Sep 24, 2012 03:31 am

My 8 year wanted one ... just bought a very cheap computer and he loves it! It does, speed, trip distance, overal distance, average speed and max speed. Not bad for $20 NZ, about 10 quid!!

If it means he's motivated to cycle, and to cycle further I figure it's money well spent! Cost far less than a computer game ;-)

Bartimaeus

Postby Bartimaeus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 18:43 pm

zummerzet-lou wrote:My 8 year wanted one ... just bought a very cheap computer and he loves it! It does, speed, trip distance, overal distance, average speed and max speed. Not bad for $20 NZ, about 10 quid!!

If it means he's motivated to cycle, and to cycle further I figure it's money well spent! Cost far less than a computer game ;-)

Completely agree... fun for them, and inexpensive. Just remind them not to keep looking at it and to concentrate on where they are going.

You'll know when they are ready for GPS and a Strava login, but it won't be for a while yet.

Return to “Family & Kids cycling forum”