Creakings, clickings, tickings, clankings and knockings.

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
binsted

Re: Creakings, clickings, tickings, clankings and knockings.

Postby binsted » Sat Jun 02, 2012 08:56 am

Annoying creaking sound when pedalling on my Boardman Hybrid Team and I could not pinpoint where it was from, had a suspicion that it was bottom bracket area. Took it back to Halfords, mechanic knew straight away, whipped out and greased the seat post!!!, creaking now gone, well done Halfords,............. Nul points to me!! :oops:

chunkytfg

Postby chunkytfg » Mon Jun 04, 2012 18:44 pm

Joys of frames! a creak anywhere will transmit all through the frame making any creak sound like it is coming from pretty much anywhere!

Cars do the same :roll:

Islwyn

Postby Islwyn » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:36 am

binsted wrote:whipped out and greased the seat post!!!, creaking now gone

Hmm! Possibly I need to do this to remove my creak.

When sat on the saddle and hands on the handle bars, if I push forward there's a creak. I thought it was coming from my headset but after dismantling and reassembling creak still remains, maybe seat post?

mikenetic

Re: Orbea Onix, Aksium wheels 105 group set

Postby mikenetic » Fri Jun 15, 2012 15:46 pm

Will Nunez wrote:Went for a ride yesterday and all I can do is describe the noise as a squeal.

First thought was brakes, but when squealing i feel no drag on wheels. Loosened each brake and squealing still occured randomly, but only down hill.

Thought it was triggered by brakes but think this is coincidence (ie i use brakes when going downhill and it only happens down hill)

Fellow rider felt the noise was coming from BB but squealing is there when crank static.

I cant locate noise ie wether its front or rear. But did notice that back pedalling did trigger it on one occassion. Am wondering if its rear wheel bearing related or freewheel related. It is totally random and once i stop and start again it has gone.

Any ideas? Wheels are Aksium and have 5000 miles with all original parts, same with Chainset all at 5000 miles

I realise this is an old post, but this sounds like the notorious Mavic Death Wail. My mate's Aksiums suffered from it.

There's a plastic/nylon washer in the freehub that gets dry and starts emitting a horrendous noise when you freewheel. His only did it over a certain rotational speed on the wheel v freehub, so it only happened when tanking it downhill while freewheeling. It's a simple lubrication job to sort it out, normally.

NottsHammer

Postby NottsHammer » Wed Jul 11, 2012 06:30 am

I have just got into work this morning and notice that I have a loose screw jumping around within the front part of my bike, I believe its in the front forks or around that area. Anyone have any idea what and where it could have come from? The brakes work fine and there is nothing loose there as I have checked. Dont really want the front forks or handlebars to come away.

Swampy6442

Postby Swampy6442 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 19:17 pm

EY up ppl - first time user! I ride a Forme Vitesse, Shimano 105 drivetrain, with carbon forks. Its been a great bike for the commute to work - however, over the last two days I have noticed some "sticking" when I go to turn the forks - almost as if it has "locked" (pretty scarey when you go to make a turn but cant!). We have had a lot of rain recently (as I am sure you are all aware!) but am unsure as to whether this is down to lubrication - its happened "all of a sudden" and isnt accompanied by any gritty, scraping sounds/feelings. Anybody help? Advise?

wooller

Postby wooller » Mon Jul 30, 2012 23:02 pm

EY up ppl - first time user! I ride a Forme Vitesse, Shimano 105 drivetrain, with carbon forks. Its been a great bike for the commute to work - however, over the last two days I have noticed some "sticking" when I go to turn the forks - almost as if it has "locked" (pretty scarey when you go to make a turn but cant!). We have had a lot of rain recently (as I am sure you are all aware!) but am unsure as to whether this is down to lubrication - its happened "all of a sudden" and isnt accompanied by any gritty, scraping sounds/feelings. Anybody help? Advise?

Could be that the headset is too tight, lift the front wheel off the floor and move the handle bars side to side, if it is stiff then slightly loosen the top bolt on the headset and try again, keep repeating till it feels looser. If nothing is happening and its staying the same tighten the bolt back up as it could be that a bearing in the race has cracked or could just need to regrease your headset. If your not too sure on how to carry out the procedures yourself take it to your local bike shop.

wooller

Postby wooller » Mon Jul 30, 2012 23:06 pm

NottsHammer wrote:I have just got into work this morning and notice that I have a loose screw jumping around within the front part of my bike, I believe its in the front forks or around that area. Anyone have any idea what and where it could have come from? The brakes work fine and there is nothing loose there as I have checked. Dont really want the front forks or handlebars to come away.

Check the Stem on the bike there should be two allen key bolts either side and a single allen key bolt on the top, if that's all in check then don't worry your handle bars are not coming off nor forks dropping out. You could check the mounting bolt on the front brake but im pretty sure you would have noticed that. Might be an idea to check the 4 bolts that hold the actual bars in place aside from that i cant think of any other bolts in that area unless u have an accessorie.

B.M.R.

Postby B.M.R. » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:38 am

I had annoying squeaky tick that was happening everytime my back wheel went round, but only when I was sitting on the bike. It happened whether I was freewheeling or pedalling, so I guessed it wasn't gear related. There was nothing physically in the way which was causing a contact noise.
Going on the link to the noise website on page 1 of this thread offered a explanation and a solution. I used lubricating spray at the point at which the rear wheel spokes join the rim (spoke nipples? The bits you can adjust to tighten or loosen the spokes), went round the whole wheel lubing each one, and no more noise from the back wheel. Apparently its a yearly maintenance thing to lube the spokes like this, I'd never done it in 3 years of owning my bike - but it had only started making the noise last month.

jus71n

Postby jus71n » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:26 am

Had some problems with my new Felt AR3, creaking on crankl rotation, could have sworn it was the BB, finally sorted it after....

Checking & adjusting di2 gears (not alligned), greasing cleats, removing & pasting seat pillar/clamp, striping & pasting stem/handle bars, oiling brakes, oiling spokes, and finalling striping down the seat base assembly & pasting every surface on putting back together. To finish off torqued all bolts to manufacture spec.

To be honest I expected better from the bike shop that supplied it, all that should have been sorted on build!

Just one question tho, over bumps still getting a noise from the forks/headset/stem area, this normal for a carbon bike? If not is there a cure?
Cannondale synapse disc (ultegra)

Felt AR3 Di2 :) (6870 11spd upgrade)

Felt F65x

AllezGaz

Postby AllezGaz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:40 pm

Islwyn wrote:
binsted wrote:whipped out and greased the seat post!!!, creaking now gone

Hmm! Possibly I need to do this to remove my creak.

When sat on the saddle and hands on the handle bars, if I push forward there's a creak. I thought it was coming from my headset but after dismantling and reassembling creak still remains, maybe seat post?

I got exactly the same prob. Frustrating!

Soong

Postby Soong » Thu Aug 30, 2012 09:24 am

I'm getting a creaking sound when turning the handlebar. It's coming from where the frame meets the fork. Alu frame, carbon fork.

It's only a week old as well! Only just started doing it. Any ideas?

cgraley77

Postby cgraley77 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 09:10 am

Hello, long time watcher of the forum here but only just joined today in the hope of getting some good advice.

I've done some google searching on my problem but nothing seems to correlate.

When I hit the front brake lightly, I get an annoying rhythmic knocking noise, and the sound seems to diminish as I pull the brake harder. It must be something to do with the front end, as there is no sound when using the rear brake.

Research has told me it could be the quick release not tight enough, which I have already ruled out.
People have also said it could be the fork to stem bolt being undertightened, however I tested this by applying the front brake when stationary and pushing the bike forward; no wobble and no noise.

As far as I can see, the front wheel is true and free from bumps.

So I'm running out of ideas. The knocking isn't detrimental to my braking, it's just damn annoying!

Any help from someone more knowledgable than me would be extremely appreciated please.

Thanks
C

Navrig

Postby Navrig » Thu Sep 06, 2012 14:35 pm

cgraley77 wrote:Hello, long time watcher of the forum here but only just joined today in the hope of getting some good advice.

I've done some google searching on my problem but nothing seems to correlate.

When I hit the front brake lightly, I get an annoying rhythmic knocking noise, and the sound seems to diminish as I pull the brake harder. It must be something to do with the front end, as there is no sound when using the rear brake.

Research has told me it could be the quick release not tight enough, which I have already ruled out.
People have also said it could be the fork to stem bolt being undertightened, however I tested this by applying the front brake when stationary and pushing the bike forward; no wobble and no noise.

As far as I can see, the front wheel is true and free from bumps.

So I'm running out of ideas. The knocking isn't detrimental to my braking, it's just damn annoying!

Any help from someone more knowledgable than me would be extremely appreciated please.

Thanks
C

The brake blocks work better if "toed in", that is, the front of the brake block connects with the rim marginally before the the rest of the brake block. In other words the rim and brake block are not exactly parallel. This prevents brake squeal and vibration.

If not that check that the headset is tight. Stand beside the bike and holding the handlebars lock the front bake. Now push and pull the bike in a forward/backward motion. Can you feel or hear play between the handlebars and the stem. If there is, the headset needs tightening.

cgraley77

Postby cgraley77 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 13:23 pm

The brake blocks work better if "toed in", that is, the front of the brake block connects with the rim marginally before the the rest of the brake block. In other words the rim and brake block are not exactly parallel. This prevents brake squeal and vibration.

If not that check that the headset is tight. Stand beside the bike and holding the handlebars lock the front bake. Now push and pull the bike in a forward/backward motion. Can you feel or hear play between the handlebars and the stem. If there is, the headset needs tightening.

Cheers Navrig, I'll check that out tonight when I get home and report back any findings.

covert ops

Postby covert ops » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:21 pm

hi all,

After 13 months of trouble free riding, a metallic knocking noise has suddenly appeared from my rear mavic ksyrium and i've noticed that the axel has a lot of play in it. Cones are tight but is seems as if my axel has been swapped for one that is 1mm slimmer. My local LBS suggested that i gunk it in crease to see if that helps before i take it in to them.

The wheel itself spins freely on the axel and i cannot feel/hear any other noises.

Any hints would be welcome!

Thanks

Sprool

Postby Sprool » Mon Sep 17, 2012 22:04 pm

MTB been creaking annoyingly for the last 6 months. Traced it to the set of road wheels fitted - when i swapped the off-road wheels/tyres it ran sweet and silent. I tightened a few spokes and oiled where the spokes cross over each other. Now its silent and smooth.

meursault

Postby meursault » Mon Oct 08, 2012 18:29 pm

I have Boardman Team (non carbon), and a click when pedaling from (I think) the bottom bracket. Which BB and crank tool do I need to dis-assemble and clean up? Sram rival groupset.

This one?

Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

jerichokb

Postby jerichokb » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:11 pm

meursault wrote:I have Boardman Team (non carbon), and a click when pedaling from (I think) the bottom bracket. Which BB and crank tool do I need to dis-assemble and clean up? Sram rival groupset.

I had a similar issue, thought it was the bottom bracket - but all that was needed was actually just to grease the pedal threads. Problem solved - for a lot less hassle than removing and re-installing the bottom bracket.

meursault

Postby meursault » Tue Oct 16, 2012 17:47 pm

jerichokb wrote:
meursault wrote:I have Boardman Team (non carbon), and a click when pedaling from (I think) the bottom bracket. Which BB and crank tool do I need to dis-assemble and clean up? Sram rival groupset.

I had a similar issue, thought it was the bottom bracket - but all that was needed was actually just to grease the pedal threads. Problem solved - for a lot less hassle than removing and re-installing the bottom bracket.

Nice one, I will give this a go, could well be the issue. If not it's something eliminated from my enquires :)
Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

Return to “Workshop”