Alternate day, 5/2 diet

Get fit for riding.
YeehaaMcgee

Re: Alternate day, 5/2 diet

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Thu Sep 06, 2012 22:22 pm

sandy771 wrote:No I can't - I have been trying to do that for 30 odd years.

Normal dieting means a change of lifestyle for the next 6/12 months, there is no realistic end in sight so when people fail, as they do, they usually give up. This diet works because when I feel like a snack on my fasting day (well 500 cal day) I don't because I think that tomorrow or worst case the day after I am off the diet and can have what ever I want for the next 5 days.

It's prob hard to fathom if you have never had a weight problem.

If you want to lose weight and keep it off, it's not going to be a 6 month thing. Eat less for a while, and your appetite reduces. Keep at it, and you'll end up eating a bit less.
I've given up drugs, drinking, smoking and over eating - it's all just getting the right mindset.

Or, since we're on a biking site, to put it another way...
Imagine it as getting up a huge hill. Yeah, the first time you do it it's hard, and you'll not want to do it again. But force yourself, and it will be a little easier.
Keep at it and keep at it, and the hill won't bother you at all.

mcnultycop

Postby mcnultycop » Thu Sep 06, 2012 23:19 pm

I changed my food and exercise habits, just by being sensible, and lost 4 stone in a year, 6 stone in total. I've let it slip a bit and half a stone sneaked back on, but I've just tweaked my diet again and it's coming off again. Fad diets don't work because you only do them for a limited time, so when you stop you can't sustain a weight. My diet is brilliant, loads of meat, eggs and veg, 7 days a week.

sandy771

Postby sandy771 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 09:18 am

I always wonder what the agenda is of people who post "I lost x pounds by doing a 'normal' diet", is it "look how good I am, aren't I clever!"?

I expect that everyone knows that if you cut down and eat sensibly that you will lose weight. But, if it was as easy as you smart arses suggest then the 40% of people in this country who are classed as overweight wouldn't be.

In my case I can keep my weight stable by exercising as much as I currently do but what i need to do is get a few stone off. This is happening. The trick is to find a diet you can sustain, I know I can't sustain a normal diet (for long enough), I have tried. I also know that given the choice of continuing to enjoy life as I do or cuting back and eating and drinking sensibly then I would choose the former. This diet allows me to be good when I want to be good and be bad for the rest of the time. That suits me.

Most generally accepted stuff starts as a fad, I expect weight watchers and slimmer sworld were once. Not suggesting that this diet will become mainstream but if it helps a few people then it is a good thing. My Dr thought it was.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Fri Sep 07, 2012 09:32 am

sandy771 wrote:I also know that given the choice of continuing to enjoy life as I do or cuting back and eating and drinking sensibly then I would choose the former.

Sorry to be blunt, but with that attitude, you will never, ever, get and stay thinner.
Making a temporary change will sove nothing, you need to get your head into the state where you're making permament changes to your lifestyle.

sandy771

Postby sandy771 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 09:46 am

YeehaaMcgee wrote:
sandy771 wrote:I also know that given the choice of continuing to enjoy life as I do or cuting back and eating and drinking sensibly then I would choose the former.

Sorry to be blunt, but with that attitude, you will never, ever, get and stay thinner.
Making a temporary change will sove nothing, you need to get your head into the state where you're making permament changes to your lifestyle.

Why not? as I said above, I can keep my weight stable it follows that if I lose a stone or two then I will be able to maintain the new weight.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:04 am

But you can't keep your weight stable. You've said that you've been trying for years, well if that was the case, then any short term dieting would have gradually resulted in weight loss, since you would have maintained that reduced weight.
You also wouldn't have got so big to start with.
You're going to have lower energy requirements as you get thinner, meaning that as you lose weight, you will have to eat less and less. Seriously, it's a complete life long change, not a quick fix.

njee20

Postby njee20 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:15 am

How does this work if you actually want to do exercise rather than just be lazy? Presumably <600 calories a day will mean that if you happen to be riding on those days you'll be pretty ruined, particularly the second?

Yesterday I had a pastry for breakfast, rode 25 miles to work, had a 500 calorie lunch, rode 25 miles home and felt crap. Considering I'd already exceeded the daily allowance, I'd really not want to repeat that having eaten no dinner. Not the best 'use' of my calories I know, but still...

Strikes me as a way to either over eat on the 'good' days or send your body into starvation mode.

mcnultycop

Postby mcnultycop » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:34 am

sandy771 wrote:I always wonder what the agenda is of people who post "I lost x pounds by doing a 'normal' diet", is it "look how good I am, aren't I clever!"?

I expect that everyone knows that if you cut down and eat sensibly that you will lose weight. But, if it was as easy as you smart arses suggest then the 40% of people in this country who are classed as overweight wouldn't be.

There is no agenda, I'm responding to a post in the "health, fitness and training" section of an internet forum. If no-one responded forums wouldn't work too well.

I struggled with my weight for ages. It isn't easy to cut back and eat sensibly, it's really difficult, but it is sustainable once you get in the habit.

sandy771 wrote:In my case I can keep my weight stable by exercising as much as I currently do but what i need to do is get a few stone off. This is happening. The trick is to find a diet you can sustain, I know I can't sustain a normal diet (for long enough), I have tried. I also know that given the choice of continuing to enjoy life as I do or cuting back and eating and drinking sensibly then I would choose the former. This diet allows me to be good when I want to be good and be bad for the rest of the time. That suits me.

I can still have a day or two where I eat less well, it's Friday today so I've had a bacon, sausage and egg sandwich. I'm not going to punish myself by eating so few calories for two days that my body starts consuming the muscle put on through training.

sandy771 wrote:Most generally accepted stuff starts as a fad, I expect weight watchers and slimmer sworld were once. Not suggesting that this diet will become mainstream but if it helps a few people then it is a good thing. My Dr thought it was.

Weight-watchers is hardly a fad, it just makes eating sensibly easier and gets people to motivate each other for a couple of quid a week. It isn't something I've ever tried, I prefer to do things my way.

I know by making the changes I have made to my life I will never be huge again. I enjoy the training, I feel miles better and I have learnt to live with less Guinness and Twix.

Fantastic Mr Fox

Postby Fantastic Mr Fox » Fri Sep 07, 2012 13:33 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:
Chunkers1980 wrote:So bums and tums classes are no good?

Yes. Good rule of thumb is that any dietary kind of thing aimed at women, will be complete and total, utter borlorx.

No they're not **** at all. Bums and Tums classes will include exercises that work muscle groups in your core and bum so will help to tone them. So from that POV they're totally legit.

They'll also help you to lose fat in those areas, as well as every other area you may have excess fat in. Targeted weight loss is a myth.

styxd

Postby styxd » Fri Sep 07, 2012 13:42 pm

I cant really see how this diet can work for anyone who does alot of exercise. Fine if you're a lazy fecker, but if you're riding your bike alot it'll be next to useless.

Fantastic Mr Fox

Postby Fantastic Mr Fox » Fri Sep 07, 2012 13:59 pm

styxd wrote:I cant really see how this diet can work for anyone who does alot of exercise. Fine if you're a lazy fecker, but if you're riding your bike alot it'll be next to useless.

As I understand it, its 5 days normal eating and 2 days <600 cals. Even if you're training like a boss you should have 2 rest days a week - so fast on the rest days. Simples.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Fri Sep 07, 2012 14:00 pm

Fantastic Mr Fox wrote:
YeehaaMcgee wrote:

Yes. Good rule of thumb is that any dietary kind of thing aimed at women, will be complete and total, utter borlorx.

No they're not **** at all. Bums and Tums classes will include exercises that work muscle groups in your core and bum so will help to tone them. So from that POV they're totally legit.

They'll also help you to lose fat in those areas, as well as every other area you may have excess fat in. Targeted weight loss is a myth.

you're directly contradicting yourself there.

sandy771

Postby sandy771 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 14:04 pm

styxd wrote:I cant really see how this diet can work for anyone who does alot of exercise. Fine if you're a lazy fecker, but if you're riding your bike alot it'll be next to useless.

Why?

I went from riding my bike a lot and not losing any weight. To riding my bike a lot, dieting, and losing 10LBs over 4 weeks. Seems to me to prove that it is working.

Just to be clear - when I am not on one of my two days of fasting (which don't have to be consecutive) I eat and drink what I want. Obviously this doesn't involve a take away every night or excessive amounts of alcohol every day, becuase i dont want that every day. But it usually involves prob 10 or more pints a week, a few glasses of wine, some cholcolate and cake. I also often eat out (normally three courses in one of our local restaurants). So if I can maintain my fun lifestyle and diet on the days that I want to then it seems win win.

Doc thinks its a good thing. I am not cutting out carbs, eating only protein or living off cabage soup like some of the other fad diets. I generally don't feel hungry on my fasting days (I have done them back to back so far) as I am eating a reasonable size jacket spud with chilli or beans as well as salad and a bit of fruit mid afternoon (which is prob more than a lot of third world people have day to day. I don't even feel overly tired when I exercise (16 miles on Tuesday night - second night of fasting).

As I see it the secret to weight loss (note that I am happy I can maintain my weight) is finding a diet that you can stick with. If this works for me (as it is working for a lot of people) then that has got to be good. Once the weight is off I just need to maintain it and I do enough exercise to achieve that.

It either works for you or it doesn't. If you dont want to try it don't if you do then watch the Horizon proggy or do some research before you do.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Fri Sep 07, 2012 14:10 pm

Erm, your lunch on the fasting day is what most people would consider a normal meal.

njee20

Postby njee20 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 14:11 pm

All due you're talking about 4-6 hours of riding a week, that's not that much. I think I'd struggle to function, particularly if I did the fast days back to back.

Fantastic Mr Fox

Postby Fantastic Mr Fox » Fri Sep 07, 2012 14:37 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:
Fantastic Mr Fox wrote:
YeehaaMcgee wrote:

you're directly contradicting yourself there.

How am I?

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Fri Sep 07, 2012 14:55 pm

Fantastic Mr Fox wrote:Targeted weight loss is a myth

Wel, if that is so, then how do certain excercises...
Fantastic Mr Fox wrote:help you to lose fat in those areas

You can tone up a specific part of your body, but that's just getting the muscles nice and, well, toned. Burning fat doesn't work like that.
If you have a huge gut, and also fatty arms and legs, then you could do hundreds of stomach crunches a day, and you'd still have a big gut. But you'd be losing fat from all over your body.
However, because people tend to have more abdominal fat than anywhere else, you would lose a considerable amount of weight from everywhere else on your body, and still have a big belly.
You would have course, also have fantastically toned stomach muscles, but they'd be invisible behind several inches of flabby fat.

Fantastic Mr Fox

Postby Fantastic Mr Fox » Fri Sep 07, 2012 15:48 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:
Fantastic Mr Fox wrote:Targeted weight loss is a myth

Wel, if that is so, then how do certain excercises...
Fantastic Mr Fox wrote:help you to lose fat in those areas

You can tone up a specific part of your body, but that's just getting the muscles nice and, well, toned. Burning fat doesn't work like that.
If you have a huge gut, and also fatty arms and legs, then you could do hundreds of stomach crunches a day, and you'd still have a big gut. But you'd be losing fat from all over your body.
However, because people tend to have more abdominal fat than anywhere else, you would lose a considerable amount of weight from everywhere else on your body, and still have a big belly.
You would have course, also have fantastically toned stomach muscles, but they'd be invisible behind several inches of flabby fat.

Ah yes, if you edit what I have said then it would appear that you're correct...

However if you read it in its full context - 'They'll also help you to lose fat in those areas, as well as every other area you may have excess fat in' then I've not said you can target weight loss, have I?

If you do any exercise in one area of your body it will help you to lose fat in that area, just not ONLY in that area.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Fri Sep 07, 2012 16:04 pm

I may have misunderstood then, but why add the "in those areas"?

Fantastic Mr Fox

Postby Fantastic Mr Fox » Fri Sep 07, 2012 16:33 pm

Well, because if a 'bums and tums' class claims it'll help you lose fat of your bum and tum then its telling the truth.

Return to “Health, Fitness & Training”