"Your route could not be saved"

An area to discuss the use of and any issues with using http://www.bikely.com/ and the BikeRadar Routes
cbdr

"Your route could not be saved"

Postby cbdr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 00:54 am

I'm going crazy trying to create a new route. I've done this before and have a few to my account... Returning to Bikely after a long absence. Now I can't save anything. Here's what I'm doing:
1- Log in
2- Click on "Create"Draw Route"
3- Click on "My Location" (actually my house), which the site remembers very well
4- Click on a point near my house, get the "play"-type button
5- Click on a second point, get the "stop"-type button
6- etc... sometimes giving a name for the point, sometimes not
7- Finally, at the right top corner, in the "options" box, I click on "Save Route"
8- I give a new name (testing) or whatever, then a description (bla bla), then my city, which brings up my actual city, province and Canada, a couple of tags, then when I click on "save" I invariably get:

"Your route could not be saved: You are editing a route which doesn't appear to exist"

I thought I was creating and not editing... I don't understand.

Please help, as I really thing Bikely is a cool tool!

Thanks,

Dave Rooney

drewkeeper

Re: "Your route could not be saved"

Postby drewkeeper » Wed Sep 05, 2012 17:08 pm

I am new to Bikely and I have the same issue. I create the route and then I cannot save it.

Your route could not be saved: You are editing a route which doesn't appear to exist

drewkeeper

Postby drewkeeper » Wed Sep 05, 2012 19:13 pm

I used safari instead of chrome and it is working better.

jRC2012

Postby jRC2012 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 22:14 pm

I was able to save it yesterday :D Cannot today :cry:
Your route could not be saved: You are editing a route which doesn't appear to exist
I will try back tonight or tomorrow to see if the problem is fixed.

Alastair29

Postby Alastair29 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 17:09 pm

I too am having these same problems

created lot of routes in the past and two on Monday this week

but everything I do today I get the same message

tried re booting etc but still no job

can someone please get to the bottom of this ASAP as we have a big event in a couple of weeks and I need to save these route on our web and for riders to down load

graybeard76

Postby graybeard76 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 02:15 am

So far, I do not see any replies from someone who runs the bikely web site. I hope they are reading this, because it seems to be a universal problem.
I found the Bikely web site several years ago, and quickly fell in love with it. It had a few quirks then, but was great for the most part. Now after not making any new routes for a year or more, I find it more tedious and more finicky to use. I tried twice today to make a new route, one time it gave me the same error message, the other time it was another problem that prevented me from creating the route. Until they get these bugs worked out, I am going to switch to another bike route web site.

Here are other problems I am having:
- The other time I tried to save my new route it bombed when I tried to put in a city (I selected Dayton). It gave me so many options, the save button disappeared beneath the bottom of the window, and I could not find any way to scroll down to it. I ended up losing the whole thing while trying various options.
- While I was trying to work from a copied route, I found the new way of inserting points very tedious (having to hover over the route until a new dot showed up).
- I also found it almost impossible to “insert” points in front of the start point. It would not let me insert any point between the first and second points.
- It is also extremely tedious that it always pops up a comment window with every new point. (if the auto-follow roads feature included Bike trails that show up on the map, it would make things a lot easier)

spc36

Postby spc36 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 08:27 am

Similar problems.

After importing a '.gpx' file containing either a track or route it appears ok on the map but gives the error: 'Your route could not be saved: You are editing a route which doesn't appear to exist' after following the 'save route' dialog.

Working on a PC running Windows 7, using both IE9 and Chrome browsers.

Lawman1965

Postby Lawman1965 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 09:12 am

I'm having the same issues. Looks like the site is broken.

Rich

Lawman1965

Postby Lawman1965 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 17:08 pm

Oh, and my browser is Chrome on windows 7. And I tried the latest Internet Explorer as well on two different Windows 7 machines. Still get the same error - and it's bloody frustrating coz I just mapped the perfect 90 mile training run and I won't be able to map those same roads as I won't remember them!

Sort it out please.

Rich

Jeff Jones
Editor

Postby Jeff Jones » Mon Sep 10, 2012 08:51 am

I've flagged this with the developer (who's been on hols) and it will be fixed as soon as possible.
Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports

Jeff Jones
Editor

Postby Jeff Jones » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Try it now
Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports

cbdr

Postby cbdr » Mon Sep 10, 2012 15:47 pm

Wow, thanks Jeff. Flagged it at 5 in the morning, problem, seemingly solved at 8... Wildly efficient!!!
Just tried it and it seems perfect again.
Thanks a whole lot!
Dave Rooney, Joliette, Quebec, Canada

nasz

Postby nasz » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:14 am

Same problem - just mapped a 700km route and now cannot save! Best part of 2 hours lost :(
________o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Lunicus Cycle Club - LCC - Train hard, ride easy...
www.lunicuscc.co.uk
www.nutsonbents.com - London to Sydney on Recumbents 2005/6

annamcnuff

Postby annamcnuff » Sun Dec 30, 2012 13:12 pm

Hi There,

I'm having this problem too .... I'd love to use Bikely to map a 13,000 mile route Im doing through the US next summer (excited!), but after doing 1,000km of it last night... I couldn't save it. It said " You do not have permission to edit this route. Route cannot be saved."

Any thoughts on what Im doing wrong?

Ta very much,
Anna

Carbonfiberboy

Postby Carbonfiberboy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 16:20 pm

annamcnuff wrote:Hi There,

I'm having this problem too .... I'd love to use Bikely to map a 13,000 mile route Im doing through the US next summer (excited!), but after doing 1,000km of it last night... I couldn't save it. It said " You do not have permission to edit this route. Route cannot be saved."

Any thoughts on what Im doing wrong?

Ta very much,
Anna
I rather doubt that they've fixed this problem, since this has been repeatedly reported to the devs and has been going on ever since they redid the site over a year ago.

The problem is that the site automatically logs you out after just a few minutes, even though you're working on a route. It doesn't tell you that it's done that. You just get that error message, with no explanation. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The work-around is to open bikely in another tab and log back in. After logging back in, you can close the new tab and return to your working tab. You'll be able to save the route then. It will keep doing that to you again and again if you're working on a long route.

Jeff Jones
Editor

Postby Jeff Jones » Sun Feb 03, 2013 16:31 pm

Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports

palcho

Postby palcho » Mon Dec 02, 2013 23:42 pm

With google chrome seems to work ok.
I have tried with firefox before and I had the same issue you had.

Cygnus

Postby Cygnus » Sat Dec 07, 2013 19:50 pm

I stopped using Bikely years ago, it always had problems even then and no one done anything about it.

jsonuk

Postby jsonuk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:25 pm

I've increased the session timeouts to stop them logging you out. Was 2 hours, now set to 8 hours.

I've also pre-ticked the "remember me" option on the login page. This is important as it will stop you logging out.

The "Your route could not be saved" issue may still be a problem. Using the Beta site, I have noticed no problems.

If you are using the original website, it may not save properly.

I do encourage using the beta site for plotting your routes as it has been improved a lot with many bug fixes - and of course cue sheets and elevation graphs are now present.

SuperBoar

Postby SuperBoar » Wed Aug 12, 2015 04:09 am

It is now August 2015 and this is still a problem? Two days ago it worked fine. Now using a Mac & Safari, a Windows 7 with Chrome, Windows 7 with IE... nothing works. IT IS NOT US BIKELY! Anybody home?

Return to “Bikely”