Horizontal drop outs and disc brakes

Home of daft questions and helpful answers.
Godders1

Horizontal drop outs and disc brakes

Postby Godders1 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:51 pm

The chain on my pompetamine was looking a bit saggy so I pulled the wheel back slightly to take out the slack but this means the disc rotor has been pulled a small way out of the brake calliper. There’s still a good 4/5ths of brake pad on rotor but is there likely to be any issue with this? It felt OK on the ride to work this morning.

I guess the chain might have worn a bit hence the need to increase tension but replacing a static chain seems like overkill at this stage (it’s probably only done about 2k miles).

The Rookie

Re: Horizontal drop outs and disc brakes

Postby The Rookie » Tue Sep 11, 2012 01:27 am

The only horizonal dropout bike frame I've worked on with discs (a Scott) had slotted disc tabs so you could align the calliper with the disc location, have on-one neglected that or have you not spotted it?

If they haven't thought of that, you could still loosen all the mountings and move it all back, may gain an mm or two.

Godders1

Postby Godders1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Sorry, I'm struggling to understand what you mean by "slotted disc tabs". Are these a feature of the rotor or the caliper?

On inspection the mounting doesn't look like it will allow for any adjustment of the caliper position.

The brakes are Avid BB7, a decent pic of the mounting from google images:

Godders1

Postby Godders1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 18:20 pm

Oh you mean slotted disc tags like this? :oops:

I'm such a tit sometimes. Image

Return to “The Workshop.”