Thread To Tell Everyone What Fettling You've Just Done

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
SimonAH

Re: Thread To Tell Everyone What Fettling You've Just Done

Postby SimonAH » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:10 pm

rubertoe wrote:Crudracers went back on last night (thanks Redvee). Magnet for the computer came of about halfway through my commute (knocking was doing my head in)

So will be remounting the sensor and the pick up mount later and adjusting the gears which are a bit jumpy

Fettling tip for spoke magnets - once they are in place and the little wheel tightened up apply a small blob of superglue top and bottom where the clamp goes round the spoke.

Problem gone.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Keyser__Soze

Postby Keyser__Soze » Tue Sep 11, 2012 20:43 pm

Fun evening of maintenance....

The missus's wheels seem to have slightly different spacings hence the rear derailleur requires re-indexing every time she changes between her RS80s and her Zipps. Add to this new cables stretching and her RD didn't work at all today, skipping all over the place. Stripped the cassettes off, played with swapping cassettes over (one's Shim, t'other SRAM) and removing the 10spd Shimano spacer from the Shim cassette, loosened and re-tightened derailleur, re-indexed. Tested out on the turbo and seems better with the same setting working across both wheels. Probably ended up with neither wheelset working properly when she takes it out on the road tho...

Honking noise again on my good bike, which was loose BB cups last time. Removed crank to check. BB cups seemed pretty tight but removed them, put more threadlock on and tightened them up again. Hopefully this should sort it.
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 21:40 pm

Finished building my son's road bike. Fitted chain and cables and then just fiddled about with everything. Rode it round the block and it's really rather nice. He's over the moon.
Hang on, this needs to go in the old frankenbike thread.

bails87

Postby bails87 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 07:17 am

bails87 wrote:I swapped my Boardman stem and ITM bars for Deda Zero/Newton ones. supposedly in the same colour but the stem is a bit bronzy whereas the bars are actually a pretty good match to the grey of the frame. New bar tape too, obviously.

I had to change the brake lever positions. One was a couple of millimetres lower than the other (surprisingly noticable when riding), and the bars had to be rotated 'back'/'up' by quite a bit, but I've got the position right now. I think.

I also redid the bar tape, and now I'm concerned that I've made it too short..... :oops:
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Wed Sep 12, 2012 07:29 am

Lubed the very dry chain; fettled with the rear deraileur and fashioned a new damper for my crud racers as one of them has disapeared and it was rubbing on the rim/tyre.

Running so much quieter this morning.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

edhornby

Postby edhornby » Wed Sep 12, 2012 08:42 am

I'm having a nightmare with loose nuts on the rear hub of my fixed gear, I readjust and they work loose after one ride... anyone done a proper service on a novatec (one of the sealed jobbies) fixed hub? is it worth giving it to the LBS to put fresh bearings in or can you dismantle clean rebuild at home ?

cheers
"I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
--Jens Voight

bails87

Postby bails87 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 08:45 am

You probably just push the old bearings out and push some new ones in, if they're anything like the (apparently rebadged Novatec) hubs on my MTB.
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

redvee

Postby redvee » Wed Sep 12, 2012 22:19 pm

Treated the front wheel to new bearings and grease and got rid of the 3mm play in the cones which explains why the tyre was rubbing on the guard for a few days.

Asprilla

Postby Asprilla » Fri Sep 14, 2012 08:59 am

Fresh grip tape and a general fettle ready for tomorrow's Legs of Steel.

Unfortunately two hours of coughing between 23.00 and 01.00 means I couldn't test ride this morning and I doubt I'll be riding at the weekend.

jonomc4

Postby jonomc4 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:51 am

just changed my sirrus elite into drop handle bars from a t-bar to make it a better winter bike - only issue was not knowing I had to change the v brakes to mini v's - once that was done all is hunky doory!

pangolin

Postby pangolin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 14:27 pm

Really dodgy creaking from front end on the way home, steering too stiff too, so took the forks off and cleaned and greased everything before reassembling.

Seemed to sort the creaks. But for a while now I have been unable to get the headset tightened correctly. It goes from too loose (forks rock back and forth) to too tight (actual resistance to steering) with nothing in between.

Took it to LBS a while ago and they serviced a bunch of other stuff but told me headset was actually fine.

Any suggestions? I thought maybe it was missing a bit! Don't know much about headsets though.
Genesis Croix de Fer

Mark Elvin

Postby Mark Elvin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 15:07 pm

Trying to sort the creak on the LH crank arm out......
2012 Cannondale Synapse

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 14:43 pm

Just cleaned both commuters dry & wet, swapped over the front mech for a band on and adjusted shifting.

However whilst swapping out mech I found loads of never going to be used parts which once the photos finish uploading will be going on the classified section.
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Sharkyssurfers

Postby Sharkyssurfers » Mon Sep 17, 2012 07:45 am

wash and blow dried the bike at the weekend, also fitted the crud racers only took me an hour!, but it looks good now, just noticed there is a lot of play in the headset i.e. if I put the front brake on the bars and forks can still move backwards and forwards by quite a bit, hopefully it will last until I can afford new bearings etc..
Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 08:09 am

replaced the stupid rubber straps on my sks race blades with jubilee clips on my rear wheel guard.

now no more squeeks an creaks

god knows how i will do the same for the front (carbon) forks
Keeping it classy since '83

davis

Postby davis » Mon Sep 17, 2012 08:12 am

Sharkyssurfers wrote:wash and blow dried the bike at the weekend, also fitted the crud racers only took me an hour!, but it looks good now, just noticed there is a lot of play in the headset i.e. if I put the front brake on the bars and forks can still move backwards and forwards by quite a bit, hopefully it will last until I can afford new bearings etc..

You have tried simply tightening the headset, right?
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Sharkyssurfers

Postby Sharkyssurfers » Mon Sep 17, 2012 08:15 am

oh yes its tight all right
Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1

flimflam_machine

Postby flimflam_machine » Mon Sep 17, 2012 08:38 am

Built up a new back wheel to replace the old one that I bent by over-inflating an inner tube and blowing the tyre off the side of the rim. First run in on the new wheel today, seems to work pretty nicely!

JonGinge

Postby JonGinge » Mon Sep 17, 2012 08:53 am

Finally got around to spending the 15minutes it took to replace the headset on my planet-x. Also replaced some cleats.

Must also replace the front tyre and inflate the tyres a bit. These jobs never stop, eh?
FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
Planet-x Scott
Rides

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 09:39 am

I seem to spend as much time fixing other peoples bikes as I do my own. I can't help myself, I went for a ride with some friends and wound up fixing their bikes before we went out. Is there some sort of help group I can sign up to?
On our bikes I changed the tyres on the EPO's station hack after blowing one off the rim and did the final fettling of the boy's new bike.
Fitting new wheels to mine today. Yippee.

Return to “Commuting Chat”