Keep racing on the roads. Please.

Talk about your races - Time Trials, Road Races or Cyclocross.
David Mclean

Re: Keep racing on the roads. Please.

Postby David Mclean » Wed Sep 12, 2012 17:50 pm

Brian Cookson has responded to my post on the Veloriders forum - the discussion went in a different direction there. It was less about volunteering. Here is his reply: http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/view ... 81#1287581

DavidJB

Postby DavidJB » Fri Sep 14, 2012 07:17 am

A side note for this topic however pertinent for road racing is that in road races the organisers rarely seem to be prepared for the event of a crash. It almost seems like cycling's dirty little secret that people crash in races. I've seen a lot of crashes recently (and been involved in one where I couldn't continue) and there never seems to be a first aider on hand, you always have to wait for an ambulance before any medical assistance is given.

Cycling is a dangerous sport and I understand its a headache to put on a race and I appreciate people that give their time and effort to give us races, however, I feel more should be done to plan in the event of the crash and make sure adequate medical attention is on hand for a fast response for riders with serious injuries and it should be mandatory for at least one support vehicle to contain someone with a valid first aider certificate.

Edit: before anyone mounts their high horse this is just my experience of this situation in a small number of races this year. Obviously some organisers will give more weight to this than others but BC guidelines (although I'm not familiar with them so please correct me if they are) should be in place to standardise the level of support when things go wrong.

mamba80

Postby mamba80 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 07:40 am

Thought it was a mandatory requirement? (for BC races) we ve always had to have a first aider in the race convey, though not always their own following car ie in Serv or Comms car.

back to the topic - i believe it would help if the race entry fee was upped to say £20 or 25 for a RR, this would allow for payment to organisers and Marshalls for at the very least petrol expenses - i know folk wont like this but racers need to appreciate that fuel is on a never ending upward spiral as is BC levies that are now higher than ever, its harder to justify asking people to help when that help will leave them out of pocket, not to mention their time, its only fair to pay reasonable expenses.

The issue we ve got (in the s/w) is not enough e1s for a nat b race to run on its own and not need a separate 3/4 to subsidise it and increased fees means we could offer more in the way of prizes for 2nds and 3rds in this cat of races, perhaps encouraging them to enter???? - it would also help if the e1s didnt ride so agressively at the very start of the race, leaving most 2nds and 3rds on their own, burned off, but i guess thats racing and would be impossible to control.

DavidJB

Postby DavidJB » Fri Sep 14, 2012 08:43 am

mamba80 wrote:Thought it was a mandatory requirement? (for BC races) we ve always had to have a first aider in the race convey, though not always their own following car ie in Serv or Comms car.

Thanks mamba,

As I said I'm not familiar with BC's polices on this. Its good to know it's mandatory.

David Mclean

Postby David Mclean » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:02 am

mamba80 wrote:Thought it was a mandatory requirement? (for BC races) we ve always had to have a first aider in the race convey, though not always their own following car ie in Serv or Comms car.

back to the topic - i believe it would help if the race entry fee was upped to say £20 or 25 for a RR, this would allow for payment to organisers and Marshalls for at the very least petrol expenses - i know folk wont like this but racers need to appreciate that fuel is on a never ending upward spiral as is BC levies that are now higher than ever, its harder to justify asking people to help when that help will leave them out of pocket, not to mention their time, its only fair to pay reasonable expenses.

The issue we ve got (in the s/w) is not enough e1s for a nat b race to run on its own and not need a separate 3/4 to subsidise it and increased fees means we could offer more in the way of prizes for 2nds and 3rds in this cat of races, perhaps encouraging them to enter???? - it would also help if the e1s didnt ride so agressively at the very start of the race, leaving most 2nds and 3rds on their own, burned off, but i guess thats racing and would be impossible to control.

This all comes back to the 1960 act which limits field sizes hugely and indiscriminately. Larger fields mean more entries and so you get more bang for your buck. If we were allowed fields of up to 120 riders (a number that many but certainly not all courses could handle) you could afford all the marshal's petrol plus have a couple of NEG motorbikes for safety (they make an enormous difference to controlling oncoming traffic). Bigger fields (perhaps counter-intuitively) means better safety, unfortunately the law prevents this right now.

I've done amateur races in Italy with fields of over 200, cheap entries, all the age groupers/categories lumped together in one race (not strictly necessary) and enough marshals, motorcycle outriders and so on to safely manage it all, even on difficult courses.

I understand what you're saying about Nat. B races, the category and points system as it currently stands doesn't work all that well, that's for another thread though I feel (I have a good idea on what to do...). My original post was intended mainly to help change the outdated law. Incidentally Brian Cookson, head of BC has said he will respond in the coming days to my original message (see the Veloriders thread: http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/view ... 86#1287621).

Tom Butcher

Postby Tom Butcher » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:14 pm

Not sure about that - I think 80 is plenty in a lower category amateur race on open roads - for higher cat races mostly I think the problem is normally filling the field as it is rather than allowing more riders. I regularly ride LVRC and one of the things that makes them safer (apart from rider attitude) is that the bunch rarely exceeds 50-60 riders.

Races should really be able to afford NEG even with a field of 70+, if money is an issue then the most obvious thing to do is stop giving out prize money.
------------------------
it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

mamba80

Postby mamba80 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 19:37 pm

Wow 200+ riders? closed roads? i d have thought the opposite would work better (in the uk) ie limit fields to 40 max (For regional races only and didnt 40 + 6 reserves used to be the norm? - with far less slower/traffic) - that could possibly open up more courses and with smaller fields, more new riders would be willing to have a go, meaning a bigger pool of volunteers/organisers so more races to cater for these new racers?

maybe wishful thinking but at the moment we really do need more people involved in the sport - not just taking apart.

hammerite

Postby hammerite » Fri Sep 14, 2012 22:37 pm

DavidJB as mamba said a first aider in the convoy is compulsory. Perhaps the problem could be that the first aider is the last car in the convoy, so it could be a few minutes until medical assistance is on hand. However, a first aider is just that, they usually can just make someone comfortable until they can get some professional medical assistance (if serious enough and needed). I have a first aid certificate, but I wouldn't want to do this at a race as I've hardly had to use it since I got the certificate, so I've got someone who offers a first aid service to do this.

As for paying expenses. I've offered expenses for drivers in the convoy and will be claiming some myself. We should just about break even, but we're not in it for to turn a profit, the race just has to wash it's face.

Return to “Amateur Race”