Watch Enthusiasts - Rolex Daytona

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
beancounter

Watch Enthusiasts - Rolex Daytona

Postby beancounter » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:54 am

So, I've just sold my Ducati after 12 years of ownership. I'm a bit too old and knackered for sports bikes now so I won't be replacing it.

I don't feel the need for any more cycles so I'm going to blow the proceeds on another lifetime ambition, a Rolex Daytona.

To all those who know about such things:-

- is there still a waiting list - how long?
- white face or black face?
- what would you buy for £8k?

Thanks for any advice forthcoming

bc
2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
2010 Colnago C50
2005 Colnago C40
2002 Colnago CT1
2010 Colnago World Cup
2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
2009 Merckx LXM
1995 Lemond Gan Team

estampida

Re: Watch Enthusiasts - Rolex Daytona

Postby estampida » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:36 am

metal or leather strap (metal daytona's scratch easily...)

dark face as it looks less fussy then the white face

but if your spending crazy money on a watch why not a omega seamaster or an iwc.... (cheesy but will have wow factor) also a tag heuer monoco (but not the v4 model)

me - I would buy a nice watch but no more than £800

then either get a Harley (not a sports bike like you said) and go touring or take a long holiday for example - overland tour of the east coast of Africa, and a couple of weeks in asia....

but would do something very non-linear with the cash, you cant take a rolex with you......

guinea

Postby guinea » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:54 am

I'm a watch nerd. Rolexes aren't my thing, but if you've lusted after a Daytona for a while you should definitely get one.

The true Daytona should ony be stainless steel. These used to be rare to get a hold of, but the queues are a thing of the past. Phoning around will secure you one.

However, you may want to look at second hand. They hold their value well and you will not lose any money over time. Look at chrono24 or any watch forum with a sales section.

For 8k you could get yourself a Audemars Piguet Royal Oak for some understated class in a sport watch. (note, not the offshore)

mrushton

Postby mrushton » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:56 am

Firstly see about getting one second-hand at eg

http://www.theoldwatchshop.com

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk

Some watches turn out to be 'safe queens' where they are locked away and never worn. The model to own is the s/s bracelet model either black or white (I prefer white). The gold on leather is nice but not for me. You could wear Omega or IWC (prefer IWC myself) or Panerai (nice but trendy) or JLC (very classy and classic). Those Daytonas are over-priced imo.

clarkey cat

Postby clarkey cat » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:23 pm

also, for just general watch-lusting this magazine is the mutts.

http://www.qpmagazine.com/Brands/default.aspx

upperoilcan

Postby upperoilcan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:28 pm

beancounter wrote:
I don't feel the need for any more cycles so I'm going to blow the proceeds on another lifetime ambition, a Rolex Daytona.

Enough said....Go for it and make yourself happy.

i'm lucky enough to have a Breitling Emergency Chrono and it's stainless and yes they scratch but when it goes in for a service all these scratches are buffed out and the watch comes back like new.....

Rolex also do the same.
Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.

Monkeypump

Postby Monkeypump » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:33 pm

Have you tried one on? I lusted after one for years, but the 40mm case looks far too small on my wrist and the steel bracelet not wide enough. My attentions have switched to the Deapsea...

According to a vendor I spoke to recently, the Daytona isn't the 'holy grail' it once was, so (as said above) waiting lists shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't sound like you're buying it as a investment, but if you have one eye on re-sale values be careful which model you choose. Apparently only a few hold their value well. Perhaps vintage is a good option?

Next on my want-list is the Omega Planet Ocean (non-chrono) for a 'big' watch and the Tag Heuer Monza, which is small but stunning. Both are a bit mainstream, but very nice. I'll be waiting a while though!

If you're going all-out on a Daytona, get the Everose!

canbakay

Postby canbakay » Mon Sep 17, 2012 14:36 pm

I've always obsessed about watches, something passed from my father. The watch should be picked according to lifestyle (I don't mean bank account, I literally mean style) and size of wrist. The daytona, which I love and tried the pink version didn't suit me, too chunky. I prefer the leather strapped watches. I suggest looking at Breguet if you'd consider adding a bit more. The classique line.

styxd

Postby styxd » Mon Sep 17, 2012 14:39 pm

The watch should be picked according to lifestyle

:?:

What do you mean? You can only wear a Seamaster if you're James Bond? What are all the overweight middle aged mend going to buy instead?

De Sisti

Postby De Sisti » Mon Sep 17, 2012 15:39 pm

I'd go for a Rolex Submariner (non-date) or an Omega Railmaster.

As I wasn't eligible for a pay-off when I left the RAF in 1993, after 9 years service,
I decided to buy a nice watch (and a double bass). The shop I went to didn't have
the Rolex Submariner, so with money burning a hole in my wallet I decided to buy
the Rolex Explorer II that they had on display.

I faffed about buying an Omega Railmaster in 2008. By the time I made up my mind to
buy the watch, it had been sold. (It was less than 12 months old, going for £1200).

Edit: I've just realised that I have a genuine Rolex Explorer II white dial for sale
if you know anyone who'e interested.

canbakay

Postby canbakay » Mon Sep 17, 2012 16:17 pm

styxd wrote:
The watch should be picked according to lifestyle

:?:

What do you mean? You can only wear a Seamaster if you're James Bond? What are all the overweight middle aged mend going to buy instead?

as i said very clearly, style.

I'm mostly in grey and navy suits hence the leather strap watch. When casual, i'll have a steel, chunkier and more casual watch on.

Of course there are those Steve Job styles where they'll be 50 year old lawyers and like to wear casios. That also is a style statement.

Nothing about age or weight.

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 16:52 pm

If you love the watch then get it, but Rolexes have never really got me drooling. For that sort of money you might want to look at an IWC like the 'Big Pilot' or a Panerai - in particular the limited editions which seem to go up in value over time so you can always recoup your investment and more if you fancy a change.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Peddle Up!

Postby Peddle Up! » Mon Sep 17, 2012 18:05 pm

I went through a phase of chrono-style watches, but now the simpler the better.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Secteur

Postby Secteur » Mon Sep 17, 2012 19:22 pm

Come over to TZ-UK.com (you have to register during business hours) - there's a very very loosely moderated and mostly safe sales corner there, and there's currently a mint unworn Daytona for around £6k if I recall correctly

fatreg

Postby fatreg » Mon Sep 17, 2012 20:47 pm

For 8K, I'd be getting one of these or these

beancounter

Postby beancounter » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

bc
2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
2010 Colnago C50
2005 Colnago C40
2002 Colnago CT1
2010 Colnago World Cup
2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
2009 Merckx LXM
1995 Lemond Gan Team

jonomc4

Postby jonomc4 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:12 am

got to say - my favourite watches are Franck Muller - never been a Rolex fan for a utility watch I prefer a Bretling.

garrynolan

Postby garrynolan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 19:47 pm

3 questions - 1/ Who is Rolex Daytona; 2/ What is he/she enthusiastic about; and 3/ Why should I watch?
Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!

verylonglegs

Postby verylonglegs » Tue Sep 18, 2012 21:26 pm

Blancpain fifty fathom for me if I was in your shoes.

rodgers73

Postby rodgers73 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 13:00 pm

I'm sure my comments will be skimmed over given the tone of this discussion, but anyway.

I love watches but for me the cheaper the better. I'm not yet 50 but I am a lawyer and I wear a £30 Swatch. On a weekend I wear a £20 Timex and I think they're both lovely. When I'm on my bike I wear a big rubber/plastic sports watch that was £7 off Ebay.

For me the joy is in the simplicity and lack of pretension (not being rude about expensive watches!) that these things have.

So, I'd spend the £8k on something that will give me some good memories like a holiday or some sort of adventure/expedition.

Return to “The Cake Stop”