Chief Whip is rude to policemen

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
jthef

Re: Chief Whip is rude to policemen

Postby jthef » Fri Sep 21, 2012 21:10 pm

For me there are 2 people showing utter contenpt for the other.
1st the police man's contempt for the cyclist (not knowing if there was an exceptional reason why he directed the MP off his bike)
2nd the MP's response.

If there was no exceptional reason the police man should be educated/told off (I think disciplining is a bit strong for this) but I find his insistence he gets off his bike exceptional annoying and highlights the attitude of some police to cyclists!
The MP's response is more complicated.
1st the the response, he is meant to represent us and if he can't handle a bit of strife of a police man should he he in office.
2nd the contempt he holds for the police, just imagine the contempt he holds for Joe Blogs?
3rd if he has said those thing he should have been arrested there is a good chance we would have been!
and therefore he is not fit to hold a position in government.

but overall I'm still annoyed that a cyclist is told to get of his bike and walk, but if he was in a car no problem :(

jejv

Postby jejv » Fri Sep 21, 2012 22:04 pm

Umm, two arseholes had an argument. That happens.

WTF is it doing on Newsnight ?

Haven't they got any stories from last year's Private Eye they can cover ?

Like money laundering on UK high streets ? Death, abuse, and persecution of whistleblowers, in the NHS ?

What's happening with CIB3 at the moment ?
Or Nadir's donations ?

Greg66 Tri v2.0

Postby Greg66 Tri v2.0 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 22:22 pm

TailWindHome wrote:
Greg66 wrote:If a police officer gets upset at a bit of name calling, you have to question pretty seriously whether he's the right man to be guarding the entrance to Downing St.

I think I'd be irritated if one of the arrogant pricks I was there to protect called me a f*cking pleb.

If he was a drunk outside a pub he'd be spending the night in the cells. No?

Maybe, maybe not. Actually, I doubt it.

Nationally reported incident? No. Irritated, yes, but FFS get some perspective. (Unless he really is a bit of a pleb, and it hit a nerve. In which case: what a baby).

I guess this underlines to me how much Britain has changed in the last 20 years. Then, you would put your mortgage on the average pc being pretty right wing. Now, they seem to have assumed the mantle of public sector workers who just happen to do police work.
Swim. Bike. Run. Yup, that's definitely what I'm supposed to be doing.

Bike 1
Bike 2
Bike 3

SimonAH

Postby SimonAH » Fri Sep 21, 2012 22:34 pm

<goes off to set up the popcorn machine>
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

The Hundredth Idiot

Postby The Hundredth Idiot » Fri Sep 21, 2012 22:40 pm

That's my take on this too: a PC decides to be a pompous little shite just because he can, and an MP should have let it wash over him but instead reacts like a pompous little shite.

Without knowing the full story, I've certainly been in similar situations to the MP (but reacted differently). London Bridge Station staff are usually great, but every so often one of them decides to go all anti-bike on you and starts insisting you obey some obscure rule that has never been applied before and seems to have no purpose other than to irritate (especially when you're ordered to do it with a surly attitude rather than asked politely). It annoys me out of all proportion, but last time I just turned around and walked off muttering under my breath - it's just not worth having a fight over.

It's not just a bike thing. I've seen irate (non-cycling) commuters hauled off trains by the Transport Police for getting shirty about things. Michael Douglas, Falling Down - just lots of little things which are trivial in themselves but eventually one tips you over the edge.
Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Fri Sep 21, 2012 23:47 pm

Greg66 wrote:
TailWindHome wrote:
Greg66 wrote:If a police officer gets upset at a bit of name calling, you have to question pretty seriously whether he's the right man to be guarding the entrance to Downing St.

I think I'd be irritated if one of the arrogant pricks I was there to protect called me a f*cking pleb.

If he was a drunk outside a pub he'd be spending the night in the cells. No?

Maybe, maybe not. Actually, I doubt it.

Nationally reported incident? No. Irritated, yes, but FFS get some perspective. (Unless he really is a bit of a pleb, and it hit a nerve. In which case: what a baby).

I guess this underlines to me how much Britain has changed in the last 20 years. Then, you would put your mortgage on the average pc being pretty right wing. Now, they seem to have assumed the mantle of public sector workers who just happen to do police work.

I think the police have always been a bit of a left/right paradox.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Sat Sep 22, 2012 07:59 am

Indeed.

Their political alignment tends to move with whatever the general employment situation is...

bails87

Postby bails87 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 09:24 am

I thought the Met said there had been no complaint. The officer involved just told his superior what happened, presumably because his superior said "Hey, Mike, what was that pompous ars* shouting about?". So it's nothing to do with a pc being "soft" or "left wing". :? It was the journos who heard it and put it in the papers.
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

MisterMuncher

Postby MisterMuncher » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:57 pm

I don't see anything particularly "soft" about being unwilling to take guff from some officious little git.

Greg66 Tri v2.0

Postby Greg66 Tri v2.0 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 14:14 pm

MisterMuncher wrote: some officious little git.

Would that be the politician or the policeman? :wink:

"Soft" is going crying to your superior, and allowing the whole thing to be leaked to the press to make a political point.

"Not soft" would have been to suck it up and move on. Much like we do when some dickhead driver gives us grief/verbals/a swerve.

Bike 1
Bike 2
Bike 3

bails87

Postby bails87 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 15:05 pm

I don't recall reading that the PC was crying at any point.

And nothing was leaked to the press, it was said in view of journos who promptly reported what they'd seen.

You seem to be blaming the PC for allowing a newspaper to print something that was seen by it's journos. :?
MTB/CX

EKE_38BPM

Postby EKE_38BPM » Sat Sep 22, 2012 15:19 pm

Has anyone asked why he couldn't ride through the vehicle entrance? And if so, what was the answer?
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Sat Sep 22, 2012 15:23 pm

EKE_38BPM wrote:Has anyone asked why he couldn't ride through the vehicle entrance? And if so, what was the answer?

I read somewhere that 'unnessecary' opening of the main gate is seen as a security risk.
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

EKE_38BPM

Postby EKE_38BPM » Sat Sep 22, 2012 15:26 pm

TailWindHome wrote:
EKE_38BPM wrote:Has anyone asked why he couldn't ride through the vehicle entrance? And if so, what was the answer?

I read somewhere that 'unnessecary' opening of the main gate is seen as a security risk.

What a lame excuse. Sounds like a copper wanting to exert his authoritah.

bails87

Postby bails87 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 15:42 pm

EKE_38BPM wrote:
TailWindHome wrote:

Who met a politician who wanted to exert his authoritah :wink:
MTB/CX

EKE_38BPM

Postby EKE_38BPM » Sat Sep 22, 2012 15:45 pm

bails87 wrote:
EKE_38BPM wrote:
TailWindHome wrote:

Who met a politician who wanted to exert his authoritah :wink:

It is a bit like a perfect storm with one side reinforcing the other. Both want to be top dog, no-one wants to back down. Some people do act irrationally when they see a bike though, maybe the copper is one of those?

Greg66 Tri v2.0

Postby Greg66 Tri v2.0 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 16:50 pm

bails87 wrote:I don't recall reading that the PC was crying at any point.

And nothing was leaked to the press, it was said in view of journos who promptly reported what they'd seen.

You seem to be blaming the PC for allowing a newspaper to print something that was seen by it's journos. :?

Why do you say that (I'm curious, not needling. For once).

The Sun (here) doesn't claim one of its reporters witnessed the incident. It quotes "a source". Who I would guess was the policeman in question.

Furthermore, that story carries an account of what the policeman told his superior officer, which can only have come from one of two mouths.

Bike 1
Bike 2
Bike 3

rebs

Postby rebs » Sun Sep 23, 2012 01:02 am

Surely it was just easier to open a little gate instead of a bike gate for a man and his bike no? the whole story has amazing at how blown out of proportion. Although bloody funny.

But then who like a good verbal handbags with "nasty corrupt Tory MP" vs "Nasty corrupt facist pig" :roll:

Although I do beleive Mr Whip certainly showed his Tory colours.. snobby barsteward :P Think it'll be wrong for him to be sacked over such comments but I don't think anyone should be punished for speaking like that to the police. But I really wish there is never a need to do so.... doe that sound too hippie for my own good? :P

DrLex

Postby DrLex » Sun Sep 23, 2012 07:19 am

Greg66 wrote:[...]
Furthermore, that story carries an account of what the policeman told his superior officer, which can only have come from one of two mouths.

Indeed, and from a chum's email yesterday:
"I was having a drink with the officer in question and he's not letting this one go.  Mitchell has a long history of particularly vile treatment of those charged with ensuring his safety and this was the final straw."
Expect it to rumble on a while longer.

jimmypippa

Postby jimmypippa » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:34 am

DrLex wrote:
Greg66 wrote:[...]

Indeed, and from a chum's email yesterday:
"I was having a drink with the officer in question and he's not letting this one go.  Mitchell has a long history of particularly vile treatment of those charged with ensuring his safety and this was the final straw."
Expect it to rumble on a while longer.

Interesting... The story makes more sense now.

If you continually wee-wee off people who you meet in the course of their work - they won't bother making life easy for you when it is as easy to make it harder. They won't cut you any slack if you then lose your rag.

Return to “Commuting Chat”