Where do I start !!! Very overweight, unfit older man

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
siamon

Re: Where do I start !!! Very overweight, unfit older man

Postby siamon » Sun Sep 23, 2012 23:51 pm

Depending on how unfit you are, the most beneficial training you can probably do initially, is to take it nice and easy, avoid hills and don't go out and vomit up your lungs on the first ride. I think personal trainers, physios etc call it building a base. Once you have a few weeks of allowing your body to get used to the movement and extra strains etc, then you can make a detailed training schedule (with different types of workouts to illicit different efforts) if that is how you like to do things or you can take the JFT approach.

davidof

Postby davidof » Mon Sep 24, 2012 06:51 am

wytco0 wrote: coupled with the 5:2 fasting that Michael Mosley recently described on BBC Horizon.

I think I'll put my wife on the 5:2 diet. Michael Mosley said he got irritable when he got hungry on the 2 days he fasted, that would be a big improvement over the 7 irritable days a week. :lol:

BowtomePhil

Postby BowtomePhil » Mon Sep 24, 2012 14:05 pm

I started cycling to lose weight 2 years ago, started doing regular 10 miles, 1st took 1 hour, that was a Mountain bike, got a road bike which made it 47 minutes.

I can now do 10 in 33 mins(not all the time, depends on traffic and wind)

The more you ride the stronger you get.

I personally am not all into fad diets and silly diets, I just use the calorie method which is what all diets are based on.

If you eat as you are now and cycle, you will lose weight(assuming you are not putting on weight weekly)

I would watch what you eat and cycle, eat loads of chicken, rice, salads, you can still eat well and lose weight.
Since I started 2 years ago, and had approx 6 months break, I have lost 2 stone 2 pounds. And still losing.

Eat well and excercise, you will lose weight.

bahzob

Postby bahzob » Tue Sep 25, 2012 09:18 am

Dont let your age be a barrier.

I am 53 as well, over the last 3 months I have lost 9kg, am fitter than I have ever been in my life and more fit than most cyclists regardless of age.

Regards advice. Way back when I started seriously trying to get fit and lose weight the single biggest thing I did was invest in a really good indoor trainer and put it upstairs near the bedroom. That way there was no way I could have any excuse for not training and every minute spent exercising was spent exercising (as opposed to getting kitted out, cleaning the bike, fixing punctures, sitting at traffic lights, waiting for the rain to stop etc etc). I've got loads of bells and whistles now including a power meter which is remorseless in telling you what you are really doing in terms of work as opposed to what you think you are. Its remarkable if you just go for a ride outdoors how little exercise you actually end up doing.

I bought some easy to watch dvd series (24 is perfect) and just watched them while pedalling away. That plus counting calories meant the weight came off. Eventually I got fit enough to not look a total ars* in lycra and go out for real without worrying about having to get off and push up every hill.

Der Kaiser

Re: Where do I start !!! Very overweight, unfit elderly(!) m

Postby Der Kaiser » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:02 am

Philinmerthyr wrote:I'm 45 years old and around 22st. I've managed to get a charity guaranteed place on the London 100 ride in Aug 2013. I'm using this as the incentive to train through the winter. I'm riding a heavy mountain bike for now but have promised myself a new bike in the new year if I progress as planned and lose a couple of stone.

How did you manage to get a guaranteed place?

sim303

Postby sim303 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 23:18 pm

Hi there

The only thing that comes to mind when reading your plan (and I think a few others have mentioned it), is you need to start very modestly. Don't get hung up on 30 mins out, 30 mins back - it's just a number. For one thing, for someone who's been out of the biking habit, in the first days and weeks you'll probably have more pressing issues to contend with, such as 'acclimatising' to your saddle ;) The big mistake would be to set the bar too high and then let yourself get discouraged or disillusioned by the inevitable aches and pains at the start. If your experience is anything like mine then when you first start you will be shocked at how unfit you are and how hard you have to work (and I was "only" 84kg when I started cycling again last year) , but believe me after just two or three weeks, if you can ride a bit each day, you will feel a BIG difference, and it will only get better from there. But you do need to give your body a chance to get used to this new form or torture you've devised for it :)

I agree also on the "loop" thing. I personally find loops *far* more satisfying that "out-and-backs" - there's something so dispiriting about going back the way you've just come, over old ground! So crank up google maps or your local OS Explorer and spend a nice evening looking at all the looping permutations you probably hardly realised were even there (if you're used to driving at least).

In short, listen to your body, not the numbers, and find ways to vary your routes so that it never falls into drudgery (the curse of the gym). Good luck!

PompeyPaul

Postby PompeyPaul » Wed Sep 26, 2012 14:39 pm

1) Follow a Low GI Diet

Many good books out there on this

Chris Carmichael Food for Fitness a good place to start.

2) Dont look at the scales at first ... look in the mirror to see improvements

3) Enjoy your bike

keef66

Postby keef66 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 09:39 am

I'm 55 and started with a proper road bike 5 years ago. I don't train as such, just get out on the bike whenever I can. Often I'll just bimble along, sometimes I'll really push myself, depends on how I feel once I get out there. I do have reasonable lights and mudguards, so I'm able to keep cycling all year round which I think helps.

Decent clothing is also an important factor. I have some DHB winter bibtights, woolie boolie socks and some cheapo Planet X overshoes which make winter riding almost pleasant.

I try to get in 2 midweek evening rides and a longer weekend one as a minimum. Last Saturday I did my longest ride to date which was just over 60 miles. (wished I'd added an extra couple cos that would've made it a metric century. grr!)

+ 1 to the recommendation to head out into the wind so you'll have a tailwind to help you home. I went out in the gale on Monday night; gruelling headwind for 40 minutes, then a 30 mph blast back home in 15 minutes :D

Similarly if you're planning a circular route, try to do the hillier bits early on. (I did the opposite on my 60 miler; all the flat stuff first, which gave me a false sense of security and the lumpy bits came as a bit of a surprise!)

Most of all, just get out there and do it!

nmcgann

Postby nmcgann » Sat Sep 29, 2012 19:25 pm

Some good advice in this thread. It's really just a case of keeping at it - ride, lose a bit of weight, you find you are able to ride further and faster - lose a bit more weight - and so on, round and round.

Getting a turbo trainer so you can ride indoors when the weather is rough or time is limited is good advice too. Turbos are dull, but anything that helps with consistency is worthwhile.

wytco0

Postby wytco0 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 13:23 pm

nmcgann wrote:Some good advice in this thread. It's really just a case of keeping at it - ride, lose a bit of weight, you find you are able to ride further and faster - lose a bit more weight - and so on, round and round.

Thanks everyone for your advice and support its much appreciated. I am now very nearly ready to start on my road to cycle fitness, only got the bar tape to do. I have been a bit dealyed as I decided to service my old hybrid for riding when its wet and that resulted in a few diversions for new bits etc. Current plan is for first ride on Cannondale next weekend.

nmcgann wrote:Getting a turbo trainer so you can ride indoors when the weather is rough or time is limited is good advice too. Turbos are dull, but anything that helps with consistency is worthwhile.

Odd you should say that becasue I have been thinking of getting one, but like most thinkgs bike I dont really know what to go for. So having read lots of reviews I am going to order this one because it looks OK, cost is OK and from the reviews it seesm pretty decent, I am assuming that I cant go far wrong with it. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-satori-high-power-cycle-trainer/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&utm_content=Tacx-Tacx_Satori_High_Power_Cycle_Trainer-Blue%2fGrey

BowtomePhil

Postby BowtomePhil » Mon Oct 01, 2012 14:28 pm

I just got that one and man do you sweat, which is a good thing, body burns fat when creating sweat.

tenbar

Postby tenbar » Mon Oct 01, 2012 15:22 pm

BowtomePhil wrote:I just got that one and man do you sweat, which is a good thing, body burns fat when creating sweat.

does that mean you burn fat when you're a bit hot and sitting having a beer?

BowtomePhil

Postby BowtomePhil » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:43 pm

You burn fat just by breathing.

Weigh yourself before you go to bed, then weigh yourself in the morning, you can lose 2 pounds.

keef66

Postby keef66 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 13:53 pm

BowtomePhil wrote:You burn fat just by breathing.

Weigh yourself before you go to bed, then weigh yourself in the morning, you can lose 2 pounds.

I suspect most of that is water

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Tue Oct 02, 2012 13:54 pm

keef66 wrote:
BowtomePhil wrote:You burn fat just by breathing.

I suspect most of that is water

Pretty much all of it will be water.

nweststeyn

Postby nweststeyn » Mon Oct 15, 2012 09:11 am

Come on now wytco0! Update please! :D

wytco0

Postby wytco0 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:07 pm

nweststeyn wrote:Come on now wytco0! Update please! :D

Very timely as yesterday I went for my first ride although not on the Cannondale. I have spent last few weeks trying to research nutrition and making plans for my diet, I haven’t weighed myself but I don’t think my weight has changed at all.

Yesterday’s ride didn’t go as planned see http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12884415 I had a lot of trouble sleeping due to leg pain, late night bath helped a lot and then in desperation I took some paracetamol and managed to get to sleep at about 0300, however I feel fine today with a little bit of muscle soreness but thats all.

Good things about the ride were that I enjoyed much of it and even though it didnt go as planned I am looking foward to getting out again soon.

My next ride will be much shorter probably 10miles or less and I will stay with shorter distances until I have a bit of stamina. For yesterday’s ride I took my bike to the start point which was the garage where its having an MOT, this meant I couldn’t really bale out of the ride and return and by missing a turning the carefully planned 15 miles ended up being nearer 20.

I am also going to spend a bit of time on my Tacx turbo trainer later in the week just to get used to it, that’s assuming I can put the blo**y thing together properly, I think I need to use some of the additional bits of plastic that came with it as the wheel doesn’t touch the roller thing, however the Tacx instructions are truly terrible.

Trev The Rev

Postby Trev The Rev » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:22 pm

You must destroy the instructions, much easier without them.

Longershanks

Postby Longershanks » Mon Oct 15, 2012 18:54 pm

'A close friend of mine who is a very experienced cyclist, challenged me to be able to ride from my house to his mothers by next summer, its only about 50 kms but for me that is a long way'.

You'll smash it.
Personally i would try and ride at a pace where you're not out of breath. Sounds hard but it's a good way of knowing that you are taking it easy, which is what you need to do for a month at the very least.

Now the weather is turning you don't want to be going out and pushing it too much. Use the winter as a chance to build your fitness up really slow. Come April you will have built a good base up and you can start going out and pushing that bit harder.

Don't waste your money with a personal trainer, you can get help from people on here.

Above all make sure you enjoy it and don't worry too much about speed.

D.

wytco0

Postby wytco0 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 21:29 pm

Longershanks wrote:'A close friend of mine who is a very experienced cyclist, challenged me to be able to ride from my house to his mothers by next summer, its only about 50 kms but for me that is a long way'.

You'll smash it.
Personally i would try and ride at a pace where you're not out of breath. Sounds hard but it's a good way of knowing that you are taking it easy, which is what you need to do for a month at the very least.

Thanks for the encouragement and even thought yesterdays ride didn't go as planned I do feel good having done it. I am riding pretty slowly and also trying to keep the force on the pedals down and riding in a lower gear that I would naturaly, my mate who challenged me to ride to his Mums, said that was a good way of ensuring that I dont overstress my legs and joints.

I notice that I have a tendancy to pedal for a bit then freewheel rather than peddaling all the time, I dont know if this is just a bad habit, a reation to tiredness or something else? but I think I need to teach myself to keep pedalling all the time.

Longershanks wrote:Now the weather is turning you don't want to be going out and pushing it too much. Use the winter as a chance to build your fitness up really slow. Come April you will have built a good base up and you can start going out and pushing that bit harder. Don't waste your money with a personal trainer, you can get help from people on here.

Thanks , I have certainly found that the advice I have recieved here is first class and very supportive and its much appreciated.

Longershanks wrote:Above all make sure you enjoy it and don't worry too much about speed.

D.

Will do :D :D

Tim

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”