Spare me any I Told You So's with Halfords but? I'm in pain

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
apreading

Re: Spare me any I Told You So's with Halfords but? I'm in p

Postby apreading » Tue Sep 25, 2012 08:54 am

The stem is at an angle to the top of the forks. On road bikes, often it is angled down as per picture here:

But it can be unscrewed, turned over and will then be angled up as per picture here:

Hopefully it is clear to see the difference - if yours is angled down, then you can flip it over to both raise the handlebars and bring them closer to you. This means that you will be sat more upright and higher up and wont need to crane your neck to much to see forwards.

Rulebritania

Postby Rulebritania » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:55 am

OH I SEE SAID THE BLIND MAN TO HIS DEAF DOG. I will look at doing that. Although I my bike is booked into Halfords for its six week service and new stem tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on
Don't call me sir I work for a living

Sprool

Postby Sprool » Tue Sep 25, 2012 13:29 pm

most stems are between 7 and 10 degree angle, so when you flip it over you get double that in new stem angle compared to the original position. ;)

Rulebritania

Postby Rulebritania » Thu Oct 04, 2012 06:52 am

I have had feedback from Halfords CS, A new stem is still on order (weeks later) and CS have emailed me stating:
"Please can i request that you return the cycle to your local store and ask the instroe team to call me direct to discuss the issues."

Just what they are going to talk about remains to be seen. I am going on Monday when I return from holiday.

JamesB5446

Postby JamesB5446 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 15:55 pm

apreading wrote:The stem is at an angle to the top of the forks. On road bikes, often it is angled down as per picture here:

But it can be unscrewed, turned over and will then be angled up as per picture here:

Hopefully it is clear to see the difference - if yours is angled down, then you can flip it over to both raise the handlebars and bring them closer to you. This means that you will be sat more upright and higher up and wont need to crane your neck to much to see forwards.

That second stem is longer, isn't it? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

dg74

Postby dg74 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 16:45 pm

Sprool wrote:
Rulebritania wrote:Flippin the stem??? Err hello Newbie

Have I violated some cycling code of conduct? Yes I'm certainly a newbie to road bikes, the guy in the LBS said stem flipping was possible but he said it in a way that led me to believe it was not always entirely acceptable. I cope with the stares and giggles as its enabled me to cycle further in more comfort ;)

That really annoys me. I've had people come to my workshop with the same story from the large chain around the corner - it's just them trying to sell you something you may not need!

Next time, ask him why 'it was not always entirely acceptable'. I doubt he'll have a decent answer - unless the stem has 0 degrees either way it is flipped. Which I doubt!

Rant over.

dg74

Postby dg74 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 16:46 pm

JamesB5446 wrote:
apreading wrote:The stem is at an angle to the top of the forks. On road bikes, often it is angled down as per picture here:

That second stem is longer, isn't it? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

it is but he's using it as an example of a flipped stem.

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Thu Oct 04, 2012 18:15 pm

Whilst you're probably borderline in terms of sizing, flipping and maybe running a shorter stem will help, I also expect it's also down to a process of rider adaptation in particular needing time for the neck muscles to become accustomed to holding your head at a more horizontal angle and certainly expect it to take a few weeks to get used to it.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

Rulebritania

Postby Rulebritania » Fri Oct 05, 2012 07:54 am

Monty Dog wrote:Whilst you're probably borderline in terms of sizing, flipping and maybe running a shorter stem will help, I also expect it's also down to a process of rider adaptation in particular needing time for the neck muscles to become accustomed to holding your head at a more horizontal angle and certainly expect it to take a few weeks to get used to it.

I started riding in August and so far 19 rides between 1-3hrs covering 194miles I would think I'd have adapted the neck muscles by now. Personally I think it's down to no being fitted to the bike in the first place. A large chain not interested in that part of a service by employing staff who aren't trained to fit as my experience indicates he stood me next the the saddle to if it was "about" hip level.

t4tomo

Postby t4tomo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:14 am

for my two penneth I think a Smaller frame would amke it worse as the drop from seat to handlebars would end up being greater.

Your backside is always going to be in the same place / height above the pedals, getting your handlebars higher will take some pressure off your neck.

flipping or changing thestem for a one you can angle up greater is going to be cheapest and easiest way.

Also check where the spacers are where the stem conects to the steerer. make sure they are all under the stem as in the pictures below.
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Sprool

Postby Sprool » Fri Oct 05, 2012 14:28 pm

flipping the stem & playing with the spacers is a 10 minute job and costs nothing. Try it out, go for a few miles cruise and you should instantly notice if it has helped at all. If not, then you could lash out £15 on ebay for a cheap stem of different length to try. It will resell easily if it doesn't work out for you.

Rulebritania

Postby Rulebritania » Fri Oct 05, 2012 15:06 pm

I think the stem is the answer as I ordered one at the start of this post, I am anticipating not paying for it owing to if I had been fitted in the first place then the stem would have been put on the bike so it fit me. (we'll see)

cyberknight

Postby cyberknight » Sat Oct 06, 2012 08:39 am

Rulebritania wrote:
Monty Dog wrote:Whilst you're probably borderline in terms of sizing, flipping and maybe running a shorter stem will help, I also expect it's also down to a process of rider adaptation in particular needing time for the neck muscles to become accustomed to holding your head at a more horizontal angle and certainly expect it to take a few weeks to get used to it.

I started riding in August and so far 19 rides between 1-3hrs covering 194miles I would think I'd have adapted the neck muscles by now. Personally I think it's down to no being fitted to the bike in the first place. A large chain not interested in that part of a service by employing staff who aren't trained to fit as my experience indicates he stood me next the the saddle to if it was "about" hip level.

Although the basic fit of the bike might have been wrong to start with it does take a long time to adapt to a riding position.
When i started riding again i used a virtuoso with a shortened, flipped stem that gradually moved from 2 inches above saddle height to level and then around 2" below with the original stem as my body got used to riding .I now use a boardman comp for leisure riding and even after thousands of miles of riding my body is still adapting , i fitted a longer stem as i thought i felt cramped but that lead to an aching neck that only showed itself on rides of 60 + miles .Ended up with the original stem dropped down 2 spacers that gave me longer reach on the arms but not stretched to far forwardto strain the neck.
This site i found has been a great help ..
http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html
http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefitchart.html
FCN 3/5/9

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 08:55 am

@apreading... thanks for illustrating the stem flipping thingy. ive heard the phrase many a time but never been quite sure what it meant. just had a look and my bike can do the same ...

apreading

Postby apreading » Sat Oct 06, 2012 23:34 pm

Mikey23 wrote:@apreading... thanks for illustrating the stem flipping thingy. ive heard the phrase many a time but never been quite sure what it meant. just had a look and my bike can do the same ...

No problem. Some of the Specialized stems are even better, with a clever shim mechanism that allows 2 or 3 different angles, so 4/6 positions when you include flipping!

Captainlip

Postby Captainlip » Sun Oct 07, 2012 08:47 am

best customer ive had so far is, "ive seen this bike on ebay and wonder if you can take your time to measure me to see if it fits"..................err no!
MADONE 5.2

Return to “Road Beginners”