Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
User avatar
Dellsinho
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 08:26 am

Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby Dellsinho » Mon Sep 17, 2012 09:25 am

Cycling week in Aldi from Thursday 27th I think. Winter stuff and a few tools, the usual stuff.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/25481.htm?WT.z_src=main
Canyon Roadlite
Boardman Hybrid
Dolan FXE

Jonny_Trousers
Posts: 3395
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby Jonny_Trousers » Mon Sep 17, 2012 13:17 pm

Thanks, dude!

User avatar
UndercoverElephant
Posts: 5447
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 09:04 am

Re: Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby UndercoverElephant » Fri Sep 21, 2012 15:52 pm


User avatar
rubertoe
Posts: 3965
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 17:14 pm

Re: Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby rubertoe » Fri Sep 21, 2012 15:55 pm

What are we buying then?

Will have a look at the leg warmers and maybe a merino jersey if they are any good.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

User avatar
Rolf F
Posts: 13583
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 09:29 am

Re: Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby Rolf F » Fri Sep 21, 2012 16:15 pm

Could be relatively expensive. New fluoro rainjacket possibly, the merino, small armwarmers and possibly the bike stand if it looks any good.

Oh, and the toolkit for one to leave at my parents or in the car maybe.

And maybe the winter socks......
Faster than a tent.......

User avatar
Dellsinho
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 08:26 am

Re: Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby Dellsinho » Mon Sep 24, 2012 09:29 am

For me:

Arm warmers
Winter jacket - depending on quality
overshoes - could do with them being waterproof though
Full gloves - old pair are a bit tired now
Also maybe a wimp vest, again depending on quality.

does anyone use the spoke reflectors for dark commuting? Recommended?
Canyon Roadlite
Boardman Hybrid
Dolan FXE

User avatar
SimonAH
Posts: 3442
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 14:02 pm

Re: Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby SimonAH » Mon Sep 24, 2012 09:51 am

The spoke reflectors are awsome. Yes, highly recommended.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

User avatar
DrLex
Posts: 1824
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby DrLex » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:26 am

Ditto; they festoon all of my bikes (even a few on the Roubaix).

The merino top looks to be just 30% merino; I appreciate that even Rapha's sportwool is a blend, but that seems a little on the low side.

User avatar
Mr Sworld
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 00:05 am

Re: Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby Mr Sworld » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:30 am

DrLex wrote:The merino top looks to be just 30% merino; I appreciate that even Rapha's sportwool is a blend, but that seems a little on the low side.


They used to do a 100% Merino top in their skiware, it's quite thin but excellent as a baselayer. Might be worth waiting for that?

User avatar
BigMat
Posts: 4648
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 13:47 pm

Re: Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby BigMat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:03 pm

The merino top is excellent even if only 30% wool. Its a staple part of my winter commuting wardrobe. Merino base layer (as mentioned above), merino top then softshell jacket - toasty in all but the most extreme conditions. Even with just 30% merino, it can be worn many times without getting whiffy, stays warm when wet, dries relatively quickly, washes well - I might even get another one...

User avatar
SecretSam
Posts: 3705
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 14:48 pm

Re: Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby SecretSam » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:52 am

BigMat wrote:The merino top is excellent even if only 30% wool. Its a staple part of my winter commuting wardrobe. Merino base layer (as mentioned above), merino top then softshell jacket - toasty in all but the most extreme conditions. Even with just 30% merino, it can be worn many times without getting whiffy, stays warm when wet, dries relatively quickly, washes well - I might even get another one...


Is it at all 'itchy'?
--------------------
It's just a hill. Get over it.

User avatar
BigMat
Posts: 4648
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 13:47 pm

Re: Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby BigMat » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:36 am

Its more jumper than jersey - I always wear it over a base layer or short sleeved shirt. I imagine it might be a bit itchy if you wore it with nothing underneath, but I don't think that is what it is really intended for.

User avatar
iPete
Posts: 5503
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 14:20 pm

Re: Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby iPete » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:42 am

could any embankmenters pick me up a pack of spoke reflectors if they are going to this?
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/sp ... _26726.htm

User avatar
cookdn
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 16:05 pm

Re: Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby cookdn » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:58 am

Dellsinho wrote:overshoes - could do with them being waterproof though


Don't bother with the overshoes unless you just want a cheap way to try the concept out. They only lasted me a few days in the Lake District rain last autumn and now have holes in the front. This was using MTB SPD shoes rather than road SDP-SL so YMMV. Certainly proved to me that overshoes are worthwhile in the wet, especially on a bike without full mudguards.

Dellsinho wrote:does anyone use the spoke reflectors for dark commuting? Recommended?


Bought a couple of packets of these from LIDL a few weeks ago for £4.99 a box. Each box contains 36 reflectors and are intended to do a single wheel. Not fitted them yet (really bought them for the boy's bikes) but from pictures such as this they seem to do a reasonable job:

Image

Best regards
David
Boardman CX Team

User avatar
CookeeeMonster
Posts: 1542
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 13:47 pm

Re: Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby CookeeeMonster » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:08 pm

cookdn wrote:
Dellsinho wrote:overshoes - could do with them being waterproof though


Don't bother with the overshoes unless you just want a cheap way to try the concept out. They only lasted me a few days in the Lake District rain last autumn and now have holes in the front. This was using MTB SPD shoes rather than road SDP-SL so YMMV. Certainly proved to me that overshoes are worthwhile in the wet, especially on a bike without full mudguards.

Dellsinho wrote:does anyone use the spoke reflectors for dark commuting? Recommended?


Bought a couple of packets of these from LIDL a few weeks ago for £4.99 a box. Each box contains 36 reflectors and are intended to do a single wheel. Not fitted them yet (really bought them for the boy's bikes) but from pictures such as this they seem to do a reasonable job:

Image

Best regards
David


do they wrap around the spokes or do you have to dismantle the wheel and fit the spokes through them?
Rose PRO DX CROSS-3000
Charge Filter

User avatar
bails87
Posts: 13051
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 22:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby bails87 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:34 pm

No, they're a C shape, they just clip on.
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

User avatar
SimonAH
Posts: 3442
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 14:02 pm

Re: Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby SimonAH » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:38 pm

They don't fit on flat bladed spokes though....as I found out when going to fit some to the racing 5s on the Litespeed D'Oh!
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

User avatar
bails87
Posts: 13051
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 22:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby bails87 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 13:01 pm

They fit the bladed spokes on my Shimano wheelset (RS10 maybe).
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

User avatar
Peat
Posts: 1056
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 19:59 pm

Re: Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby Peat » Tue Sep 25, 2012 15:17 pm

cookdn wrote:Image


Farm shop near Milton/Steventon?

User avatar
Agent57
Posts: 2262
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 10:45 am

Re: Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Postby Agent57 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 19:20 pm

Dellsinho wrote:does anyone use the spoke reflectors for dark commuting? Recommended?


I use them, and I reckon they're effective. I recommend them.

Image
MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)


Return to “Commuting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CookeeeMonster and 8 guests