Where to train in or around south west london

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
bobo696

Where to train in or around south west london

Postby bobo696 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 21:56 pm

Hi everyone !

I'm getting hooked by road cycling and am doing the 100miles (!!!) st crispin day night ride as my forst ever "sportive". That seems a lot but they say it's very doable because flat...

I started recently going to richmond park to do laps. It's nice because there are not too many cars. But I would like to diversify my training else I will get bored quickly !

Where are you guys and girls going for training ? In a ideal world I'm looking for trafic free routes, but alternatively routes with not a lot of cars are okay as well. However I hate the busy roads, which I take often enough during my everyday commutes...

Thanks for the advices :)

Curious Yellow

Re: Where to train in or around south west london

Postby Curious Yellow » Tue Sep 25, 2012 19:29 pm

If you have a Garmin then try the Garmin Connect site. Or you could just sign up for Connect and see what routes people have already mapped out. Could be a bit hit and miss about how busy/quiet they are. Roads in London generally seem to be quiet before 7am-ish and after 8pm-ish.

okgo

Postby okgo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 20:53 pm

Join Kingston Wheelers :)
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

bobo696

Postby bobo696 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 22:14 pm

No unfortunately I don't have a garmin, just my android phone and a heartrate monitor...

As for joining a club it sounds great but my weekends are often busy... I would have to find a club which does week runs !

wilo13

Postby wilo13 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 22:20 pm

If you cant get out at weekends to do long rides then Richmond park is probs your best bet. I live in Raynes Park and venture out to Boxhill (14miles away) and all the hills in the North Downs. I plan to go along to a Kingston Wheeler club run once I finally have a Sunday free!

Curious Yellow

Postby Curious Yellow » Wed Sep 26, 2012 02:36 am

Most clubs seem to do a short mid week run. Probably 40 miles or so. There is a nice loop to Windsor and back with a bit of a hairy section where you cross a 5 lane carriageway. There's also a Chertsey loop somewhere.

I think it is fairly simple to map either one of these out on Google Maps.

okgo

Postby okgo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 06:09 am

Yes Kingston club does many ad hoc midweek rides. Most days in fact. Last night was a chain gang style ride. Today there are some people heading down to Leith Hill. Tomorrow I'm doing a
140 mile ride with about 6 others. Hardly surprising that with 500 members you can find someone to ride/train with most days of the week :)
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

bobo696

Postby bobo696 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 07:53 am

That sounds great actually... I might have a free sunday soon! Although another worry is that I'm a complete beginner and not at my fittest... I did a TT 3 lap of Richmond park just to try the other day and finished in 77 minutes which seems very slow compared to the times on this forum

guinea

Postby guinea » Wed Sep 26, 2012 08:34 am

Your time around Richmond Park will improve if you keep riding and try hard while doing so.

I went from 85 minutes to under an hour quite quickly.

Ride often and your fitness will follow.

okgo

Postby okgo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:54 am

bobo696 wrote:That sounds great actually... I might have a free sunday soon! Although another worry is that I'm a complete beginner and not at my fittest... I did a TT 3 lap of Richmond park just to try the other day and finished in 77 minutes which seems very slow compared to the times on this forum

Well put it this way, when I started riding I was probably slower than that, riding since then with the club and doing all sorts of different rides distances and intensity's etc I was able to do it in under 50 mins a few months back, probably do a 48 now. So don't worry about now (for what its worth there are rides that cater for nearly all paces of rider, you would be fine on the beginner club run on a Sunday, and just build up from there, and many of the midweek ride are at club-run pace which is around 15-16 mph average).

Anyway, the best way to see if you're up to it (which you will be I'm sure) is to come along to Laithwaites in Surbiton at 9am on Sunday morning, ask somebody in club kit about the beginners ride and off you go, its a 36 mile loop down to Boxhill, then from there you can go on and do many of the 6/7/8 different rides that go out on Sunday or any of the midweek ones I've mentioned.

Have a look on the forum under the club run room, or other club rides to get a taste for it :)

wilo13

Postby wilo13 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 13:24 pm

okgo wrote:Yes Kingston club does many ad hoc midweek rides. Most days in fact. Last night was a chain gang style ride. Today there are some people heading down to Leith Hill. Tomorrow I'm doing a
140 mile ride with about 6 others. Hardly surprising that with 500 members you can find someone to ride/train with most days of the week :)

Where can I find out info on Kingston wheeler rides? I moved from Crawley to Raynes Park about 3 weeks ago and I am looking at joining Kingston wheelers. I am working crazy hours at work at the moment so apart from commuting I have had no time to get out on rides. However once work calms down I would like to try and find some training pals!

okgo

Postby okgo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 13:24 pm

On the website :)

Kingstonwheelers.com

Tricycleboy

Postby Tricycleboy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 15:31 pm

http://www.kingstonwheelers.co.uk/clubrun.shtml

The club run page has few KW routes and maps. I've done a fair few of them alone and they're really nice routes. I too plan to go on an actual club run soonish.

MoscowFlyer

Postby MoscowFlyer » Sat Sep 29, 2012 20:35 pm

I'm looking to tag along with the Wheelers before too long, been meaning to do it for ages now but with two young kids it's hard to find the time. I know they're fairly saturated with members now so you have to join up for two years, I never realised they did slower midweek rides though. I always see the likes of Jim and the faster lot posting some pretty quick times on those midweek runs, just a bit out of my reach pace wise. Midweek evening rides would suit me a lot better though, so maybe I'll make the leap sooner rather than later.

okgo

Postby okgo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 20:28 pm

We do slower mid week ones too.

It's only really a few of us going out midweek at the minute. But more will happen soon.

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”