When to down a gel?

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
Rulebritania
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:17 pm

When to down a gel?

Postby Rulebritania » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:18 am

Hi,
I've got a couple hi 5 gels but I have no idea when I should take one. I am a beginner so I'm pushing hard and managing 20-25 miles without gel but I'm going to push further on Saturday.

What sort of distances should I be thinking to take one?
At what point in the ride?
What boost will I expect?
Are they really worth it?
Don't call me sir I work for a living

danowat
Posts: 2830
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 13:58 pm

Re: When to down a gel?

Postby danowat » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:21 am

Firstly, I don't think Gels are worth using outside of racing, so with that in mind........

What sort of distances should I be thinking to take one? 50 Miles and over
At what point in the ride? 45mins - 60mins intervals
What boost will I expect? Never felt a "boost"
Are they really worth it? In racing, yes

User avatar
SBezza
Posts: 2172
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 09:02 am

Re: When to down a gel?

Postby SBezza » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:34 am

No need really for a training ride, I only ever use them when racing, when eating is not an option, ie 50 mile and 100 mile TT's.

For a training ride, just eat normal food, though to be honest you have enough stored energy in your body if eating a good balanced diet for 3 or 4 hours if riding at an endurance effort, you will only start eating into glycogen alot quicker if you really ramp the effort up, but then you would probably struggle to do more than 2 hours anyhow whether you ate anything or not as fatigue would set in.

How far do you plan on going, and how long would you expect this to take you, and at what effort were you planning on.

Rulebritania
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:17 pm

Re: When to down a gel?

Postby Rulebritania » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:15 pm

Cheers Fella's
I'm only a beginner at all this although I am already hooked. :mrgreen:
My furthest ride was week last Wed: 34.1mi Distance 1,723ft Elevation 02:45:48 Moving Time

I want to better that distance wise anyway.
Don't call me sir I work for a living

Trev The Rev
Posts: 1005
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 09:10 am

Re: When to down a gel?

Postby Trev The Rev » Sun Sep 30, 2012 08:17 am

Rulebritania wrote:Hi,
I've got a couple hi 5 gels but I have no idea when I should take one. I am a beginner so I'm pushing hard and managing 20-25 miles without gel but I'm going to push further on Saturday.

What sort of distances should I be thinking to take one?
At what point in the ride?
What boost will I expect?
Are they really worth it?




You don't need gels, try real food.

philthy3
Posts: 2710
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 16:22 pm

Re: When to down a gel?

Postby philthy3 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:06 am

We'll all have different opinions; personally, I don't consumer gels on rides less than 50 miles and I don't race.

Gels are easier to carry than wrapped up food although I also take a banana out with me. On a 100 mile ride I can carry plenty of gels and energy bars in my rear pockets to sustain me without stopping off anywhere or having to use saddle bags. Gels don't appeal to everyone, but it is wrong to assume that people don't need them if they aren't racing. You may exert a lot of energy on your recreational rides and benefit from a quick energy boost. Gels were originally designed for racing but are nowadays aimed at all levels of sport especially endurance activities. If you exert the energy, use a gel/energy bar, but, normal food is fine if you choose to carry it or want to use cafe stops on a ride.

http://www.scienceinsport.com/event-cyc ... rtive.html
We're all buffoons; some slightly less than others.

User avatar
Herbsman
Posts: 1940
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 18:31 pm

Re: When to down a gel?

Postby Herbsman » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:07 am

I don't know but I can tell you when you shouldn't take one:
  • During a training ride
  • During a sportive
  • During a recovery ride
  • During a short race (1h or less)
  • During breakfast
  • During sexual intercourse

If you don't know when to down a gel, then you don't need to down a gel. It sounds like you've been sold something you've been falsely led to believe you need. If I were you I would take them back for a refund or give them to someone who needs them.
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

Rulebritania
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:17 pm

Re: When to down a gel?

Postby Rulebritania » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:40 am

Thank you for the replies, although some have a patronizing tone, I am as said in the initial post a beginner therefore not "in the know"

But thank you anyway
Don't call me sir I work for a living

philthy3
Posts: 2710
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 16:22 pm

Re: When to down a gel?

Postby philthy3 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:46 am

Herbsman wrote:I don't know but I can tell you when you shouldn't take one:
  • During a training ride
  • During a sportive
  • During a recovery ride
  • During a short race (1h or less)
  • During breakfast
  • During sexual intercourse

If you don't know when to down a gel, then you don't need to down a gel. It sounds like you've been sold something you've been falsely led to believe you need. If I were you I would take them back for a refund or give them to someone who needs them.


Based on what factual information?
We're all buffoons; some slightly less than others.

User avatar
T.M.H.N.E.T
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:20 pm

Re: When to down a gel?

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:00 pm

philthy3 wrote:
Herbsman wrote:I don't know but I can tell you when you shouldn't take one:
  • During a training ride
  • During a sportive
  • During a recovery ride
  • During a short race (1h or less)
  • During breakfast
  • During sexual intercourse

If you don't know when to down a gel, then you don't need to down a gel. It sounds like you've been sold something you've been falsely led to believe you need. If I were you I would take them back for a refund or give them to someone who needs them.


Based on what factual information?

Perhaps the beginner cyclist OP who cycles 25miles might be a fair example

Rulebritania
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:17 pm

Re: When to down a gel?

Postby Rulebritania » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:02 pm

Based on what factual information?[/quote]
Perhaps the beginner cyclist OP who cycles 25miles might be a fair example[/quote]

:?: Nope Don't get it?
Don't call me sir I work for a living

User avatar
T.M.H.N.E.T
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:20 pm

Re: When to down a gel?

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:17 pm

Rulebritania wrote:
:?: Nope Don't get it?

Really? Come on :roll:

philthy3
Posts: 2710
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 16:22 pm

Re: When to down a gel?

Postby philthy3 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 13:21 pm

No, he lists training rides and sportives as examples when not to use gels and not the 25 mile ride of the OP. Looks suspiciously like c.o.c.k waving to me rather than any factual reason why you shouldn't use gels etc on training or sportive rides.
We're all buffoons; some slightly less than others.

User avatar
T.M.H.N.E.T
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:20 pm

Re: When to down a gel?

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Sun Sep 30, 2012 13:43 pm

philthy3 wrote:No, he lists training rides and sportives as examples when not to use gels and not the 25 mile ride of the OP. Looks suspiciously like c.o.c.k waving to me rather than any factual reason why you shouldn't use gels etc on training or sportive rides.

If you wouldn't/shouldn't use a gel in a sportive or training ride, then why would anyone assume it's a good idea on a 25mile leisure ride?

User avatar
Herbsman
Posts: 1940
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 18:31 pm

Re: When to down a gel?

Postby Herbsman » Sun Sep 30, 2012 14:29 pm

philthy3 wrote:No, he lists training rides and sportives as examples when not to use gels and not the 25 mile ride of the OP. Looks suspiciously like c.o.c.k waving to me rather than any factual reason why you shouldn't use gels etc on training or sportive rides.

Using gels is a waste of money in most situations as there is just no need for them. Hence me saying if you don't know when to take one one, then you don't need to take one. I never said anyone had to agree with my opinion so feel free to waste your money on unnecessary products if you want to.
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

philthy3
Posts: 2710
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 16:22 pm

Re: When to down a gel?

Postby philthy3 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 14:35 pm

Eh? That isn't what he posted and nobody is suggesting you need a gel on a 25 mile ride. I'd like to know why he suggests you shouldn't use gels during sportives or training rides without qualifying it. Gels, recovery drinks, energy bars etc are not developed for the sole use of those who race and the likes of SIS and the other manufacturers, along with sportive organisers recommend their use. Blimey, they even hand them out at feed stations on some of them.
We're all buffoons; some slightly less than others.

User avatar
Herbsman
Posts: 1940
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 18:31 pm

Re: When to down a gel?

Postby Herbsman » Sun Sep 30, 2012 14:39 pm

philthy3 wrote:Gels are easier to carry than wrapped up food

Based on what factual information?
philthy3 wrote:You may exert a lot of energy on your recreational rides and benefit from a quick energy boost.

Based on what factual information?
philthy3 wrote:Gels were originally designed for racing but are nowadays aimed at all levels of sport

What a ridiculous statement. A company aims a product at a certain target market to make themselves more profit, not to help people out.
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

philthy3
Posts: 2710
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 16:22 pm

Re: When to down a gel?

Postby philthy3 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 14:41 pm

Herbsman wrote:
philthy3 wrote:No, he lists training rides and sportives as examples when not to use gels and not the 25 mile ride of the OP. Looks suspiciously like c.o.c.k waving to me rather than any factual reason why you shouldn't use gels etc on training or sportive rides.

Using gels is a waste of money in most situations as there is just no need for them. Hence me saying if you don't know when to take one one, then you don't need to take one. I never said anyone had to agree with my opinion so feel free to waste your money on unnecessary products if you want to.


That's fair enough, but your reason is you prefer to use normal food rather than pay for the alternatives and that if the OP doesn't feel that they could use one, then they don't need one. That isn't a reason for not using them during the aforementioned sportives and training rides.
We're all buffoons; some slightly less than others.

User avatar
Herbsman
Posts: 1940
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 18:31 pm

Re: When to down a gel?

Postby Herbsman » Sun Sep 30, 2012 14:42 pm

philthy3 wrote:...the likes of SIS and the other manufacturers, along with sportive organisers recommend their use.

And why do you think that is? For our benefit? Or because it leads to increased sales?

Taking gels during a sportive may do no harm, but my opinion (which I never presented as a fact) is that they are unnecessary.
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

User avatar
Herbsman
Posts: 1940
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 18:31 pm

Re: When to down a gel?

Postby Herbsman » Sun Sep 30, 2012 14:45 pm

Not sure why you feel the need to argue with an opinion that differs from your own especially when you yourself acknowledged the fact that
We'll all have different opinions
. You acknowledge that fact yet as soon as you see an opinion that you don't like, you start an argument :?
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!


Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: colinsmith123, jumbo67, Mccrear and 4 guests