Three Peaks

Talk about your races - Time Trials, Road Races or Cyclocross.
PeteMadoc

Re: Three Peaks

Postby PeteMadoc » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:54 pm

hammerite wrote:I'm not in the race but I am "threepeakcurious".

What footwear do you wear? Not sure I'd fancy running on rock in bike shoes, but I take it no one uses flat pedals and wears fell running shoes?

MTB clipless shoes

I just bought some with a fairly decent rubber sole, nice and grippy. They have 2 football style studs at the front which should help when running up grassy hills.

BeaconRuth

Postby BeaconRuth » Tue Jul 24, 2012 13:06 pm

PeteMadoc wrote:Arrrggh

Another question.

How the feck do you carry water???? I've watched some videos and some of the top guys have helpers they grab a bottle off on the route. I'm guessing the options are use a camelback type thing or stick a bottle in your jersey pocket which may well fall out.

What is the norm?

I think a camelbak is the main solution used by those without helpers. Also provides somewhere to put spare rations, clothes and innertubes.

Ruth

hammerite

Postby hammerite » Tue Jul 24, 2012 13:41 pm

PeteMadoc wrote:
hammerite wrote:I'm not in the race but I am "threepeakcurious".

What footwear do you wear? Not sure I'd fancy running on rock in bike shoes, but I take it no one uses flat pedals and wears fell running shoes?

MTB clipless shoes

I just bought some with a fairly decent rubber sole, nice and grippy. They have 2 football style studs at the front which should help when running up grassy hills.

Ah ok. Yes I have some of those for cross.

Hard sole though. Not sure I'd fancy trusting them running up/down rocky stuff.

PeteMadoc

Postby PeteMadoc » Tue Jul 24, 2012 13:51 pm

hammerite wrote:
Ah ok. Yes I have some of those for cross.

Hard sole though. Not sure I'd fancy trusting them running up/down rocky stuff.

Yeah my old ones had a really hard sole so I had a look for something else. Found some Lake shoes reduced on Wiggle and they have much more give in them and more grip too so win win.

PeteMadoc

Postby PeteMadoc » Tue Jul 24, 2012 13:53 pm

BeaconRuth wrote:
PeteMadoc wrote:Arrrggh

Another question.

How the feck do you carry water???? I've watched some videos and some of the top guys have helpers they grab a bottle off on the route. I'm guessing the options are use a camelback type thing or stick a bottle in your jersey pocket which may well fall out.

What is the norm?

I think a camelbak is the main solution used by those without helpers. Also provides somewhere to put spare rations, clothes and innertubes.

Ruth

Looking at pictures from past years there seems to be a real mix of solutions. Many seem to have 1 bottle on the seat tube but I can't imagine this is very comfortable when shouldering the bike, I'll have a little experiment. Others seem to have no water at all and others have a camelback

PeteMadoc

Postby PeteMadoc » Fri Sep 21, 2012 14:23 pm

Gave the bike a service last night. New cables and everything cleaned and lubed. Fancy pipe lagging installed.

My target is to come somewhere near the top 100 but as it's my first time I don't really know what to expect so won't be too upset if it all goes wrong.

Anyone else getting excited?

I think I solved my water carrying issues, think I've persuaded my wife to be a support crew and hand out bottles to me :D

SheffSimon

Postby SheffSimon » Fri Sep 21, 2012 15:24 pm

Last time I rode, there were quite a few people on penyghent lane handing out drinks to all and sundry, blackcurrant cordial and salt springs to mind.....that was in the era of toeclips and Rivat cross boots mind :D

Anyway, chapeau and good luck to all those riding on Sunday week, its 'kin pleasurable purgatory at the time, especially by the time you get to penyghent lane, but great once its over :) Wish I was riding...

bexslack

Postby bexslack » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:23 pm

I don't know whether to be nervous or excited about this. I have a total lack of off road experience, can't change a puncture in less than 20 minutes and have never even seen the hills we will be climbing.

But I'm going to give it my best shot and see where I end up. A&E probably!

Pross

Postby Pross » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:35 am

PeteMadoc wrote:Gave the bike a service last night. New cables and everything cleaned and lubed. Fancy pipe lagging installed.

You might be better with the pipe lagging going around the cornet of the top tube / seat tube where it sits on your shoulder.

PeteMadoc

Postby PeteMadoc » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:00 pm

Pross wrote:
PeteMadoc wrote:Gave the bike a service last night. New cables and everything cleaned and lubed. Fancy pipe lagging installed.

You might be better with the pipe lagging going around the cornet of the top tube / seat tube where it sits on your shoulder.

Thanks for the tip but I've done a few training rides and I'm happy with lagging just on the top tube. The only problem I have is the non drive side crank arm can dig into by lower back at times but I'll live with it. A Gilet in the back pocket pads it out a bit.

Could everyone please join me in a quick prayer for some good weather :D

SheffSimon

Postby SheffSimon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:56 am

PeteMadoc wrote:
Pross wrote:

Thanks for the tip but I've done a few training rides and I'm happy with lagging just on the top tube. The only problem I have is the non drive side crank arm can dig into by lower back at times but I'll live with it. A Gilet in the back pocket pads it out a bit.

Could everyone please join me in a quick prayer for some good weather :D

Do you still have to carry a bivvy bag and whistle?

Probably the pain/cramp in your legs whilst staggering up Whernside and Penyghent Lane will distract you from the crank digging in yer kidneys :)

Gonna be a muddy one I guess with the recent biblical downpours....

PeteMadoc

Postby PeteMadoc » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:05 pm

SheffSimon wrote:
Do you still have to carry a bivvy bag and whistle?

Probably the pain/cramp in your legs whilst staggering up Whernside and Penyghent Lane will distract you from the crank digging in yer kidneys :)

Gonna be a muddy one I guess with the recent biblical downpours....

Yup, still need the bag and whistle. Downpours are continuing so it's going to be a real mudbath! Nervous already

Mike67

Postby Mike67 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 16:03 pm

Just beginning to wonder if there's such a thing as clipless wellies :D

All set otherwise, though not had much chance to test the kit in anger so far this week.

I'm more worried about the car park field...does anyone know if we're likely to get our cars out alive?
Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
Lots of bits

PeteMadoc

Postby PeteMadoc » Sun Sep 30, 2012 21:28 pm

Never again!

That is all

bexslack

Postby bexslack » Sun Sep 30, 2012 22:40 pm

PeteMadoc wrote:Never again!

That is all

+1

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Mon Oct 01, 2012 07:17 am

Anyone that finishes this has my utmost respect! Well done fellas.
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

Mike67

Postby Mike67 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 07:38 am

PeteMadoc wrote:Never again!

That is all

Ahhh..you're only saying that 'cos you feel like you been put in a washing machine on a cold wash with a bunch of rocks for 5 hours or so :D (6.5 in my case :( )
I was lucky??? enough to be one of the last few allowed up Pen-y-Ghent which in the end I appreciated as it was the only one I could ride most of the way down.

Must say I've never actually been blown off my bike before...ended up in a ditch off the track coming down Ingleborough...:D

The weather couldn't be as bad as that again...could it?
At least we have a few months to forget just how bad it was before we put next years entry in :wink:
Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
Lots of bits

Graeme_S

Postby Graeme_S » Mon Oct 01, 2012 09:06 am

Serious amounts of respect folks. Looks and sounds utterly miserable, look forwards to hearing all the gory details when you've recovered enough to write them up!

PeteMadoc

Postby PeteMadoc » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:41 am

Another great shot

I'll be back with some gory details later

SheffSimon

Postby SheffSimon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:18 pm

Graeme_S wrote:Serious amounts of respect folks. Looks and sounds utterly miserable, look forwards to hearing all the gory details when you've recovered enough to write them up!

Nice to see the organisers providing bike washing facilities :)

Chapeau to all those that rode, and to those saying never again just remind yourself of that statement when you are dragging yereslf up Penyghent next year :)

Return to “Amateur Race”