Cut-throat shaving

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Re: Cut-throat shaving

Postby Rick Chasey » Mon Oct 01, 2012 20:36 pm

Who has time to go into a barbers and get shaven every day?

Asprilla

Postby Asprilla » Mon Oct 01, 2012 20:40 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:Who has time to go into a barbers and get shaven every day?

You assume everyone shaves every day.

I shave when Mrs A tells me I can't come near her 'with THAT' on my face and that I look like a '******* tramp'.

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Mon Oct 01, 2012 21:12 pm

I guess so.

I need to shave every day. Tried the beard option and, simply, my hair does not grow in a way that makes me look smart with facial fuzz.

I do have sensitive skin and it gets sore, but I have found that by shaving every day it toughens up and kills the nerves anyway.

So, to those moaning, a little MTFU is in order.

Mouth

Postby Mouth » Mon Oct 01, 2012 22:06 pm

A monthly (or so) treat perhaps? Supplemented by DIY in the middle.
The only disability in life is a poor attitude.

adm1

Postby adm1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 22:22 pm

UndercoverElephant wrote:I'm a double-edge razor man, myself. Fifty Derby Extra blades for a fiver and a proper razor to house them in (Muhle R89 - http://connaughtshaving.com/mur89.html). No nicks, no cuts and a very good shave indeed.

My barber uses a single-edge blade, but I suspect they're just for show-offs, or people shaving other people.

Edit: Yes, they give a much better shave, and will irritate your skin a lot less. They talk a load or tripe on the adverts in order to sell you the latest and greatest. £20 for 8 blades? You must be mad!

This.

Good quality double edged safety razor ( I use a Merkur Futur). Derby blades (best bang for the buck) and then find a soap that suits you. I also like a good badger brush.

The rest is practice. But you'll get a better shave by far than the expensive plastic cartridge blades, so it's a skill worth learning. Plus you get a real old skool buzz out of it.

MisterMuncher

Postby MisterMuncher » Mon Oct 01, 2012 23:53 pm

I use a straight razor, but I'm generally too lazy to shave more than once a week at best. I will resort to a KingOfShaves thing if I'm disinclined to spend the extra time.

No idea what make of razor it is, looks like carbon steel to me, with a bone handle, and is older than dirt. Belonged to my Grandad. It's nice to have a strop in the house to finish up my work knives as well.

domgears

Postby domgears » Tue Oct 02, 2012 03:33 am

Underscore wrote:
Kieran_Burns wrote:
UndercoverElephant wrote:I'm a double-edge razor man, myself. Fifty Derby Extra blades for a fiver and a proper razor to house them in (Muhle R89 - http://connaughtshaving.com/mur89.html). No nicks, no cuts and a very good shave indeed.

My barber uses a single-edge blade, but I suspect they're just for show-offs, or people shaving other people.

Edit: Yes, they give a much better shave, and will irritate your skin a lot less. They talk a load or tripe on the adverts in order to sell you the latest and greatest. £20 for 8 blades? You must be mad!

Is there ANYTHING that can be bought that we don't have a complete snob on this forum for?

Honestly - you lot.... coffee, shaving, watches, bloody MOISTURISER.

I'm going to go and buy some white sliced bread from Aldi.

Yeah, but double-edge shaving isn't snobbery: it's cheaper and better*; snobbery is about things that are more expensive and (possibly) better.

Having said that, the Muhle R89 is basically the same as the Edwin Jagger DE89 that I have but more expensive, so you may have a point... :)

_

* I took up DE shaving about a year ago after find Mach3 to be too expensive while still irritating the neck a bit. I've found DE shaving to take a little longer but it is hugely cheaper and gives much less irritation. Shaving with a cut-throat? Now that, I suspect, is snobbery!

I just started with the Edwin Jagger about 6 weeks ago, yes the pre shave prep takes a little longer, exfoliate then lather up with the badger brush but it is oh so worth it.

Smoother, less sensitivity and just darn classier. True the initial cost is greater but then just replacing the blade once a month it soon becomes cheaper.

my wife was skeptical, couldn't understand why I would spend so much on a brush, razor and soap, that is until I shaved one of her legs for her, while she used the usual cartridge razor on the other, the results speak for themselves.

From what I have read on other shaving forums, just like the cartridge razors, different blades have different characteristics, apparently in the UK if you go to certain shops you can get packs of mixed blades so you can try with different ones to see which suits best, the sharpest I have heard is called "Feather" from Japan but their stuff is expensive

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Tue Oct 02, 2012 07:06 am

Asprilla wrote:

I shave when Mrs A tells me I can't come near her 'with THAT' on my face and that I look like a '******* tramp'.

Are you married to my Wife?

I quite like the idea of a decent razor - might be added to the christmas list.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

jamesco

Postby jamesco » Tue Oct 02, 2012 07:06 am

Easy answer to the price of Mach 5 is to get cheaper alternatives. What does the fifth blade do, anyway, does it catch the hairs that ducked and avoided the first four blades?

Anyway, good excuse to post this classic:
Fúck Everything, We're Doing Five Blades.

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Tue Oct 02, 2012 07:41 am

Mouth wrote:A monthly (or so) treat perhaps? Supplemented by DIY in the middle.

And what about the shaving?

Ba

Dum

Tish
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Tue Oct 02, 2012 07:44 am

MisterMuncher wrote:I use a straight razor, but I'm generally too lazy to shave more than once a week at best. I will resort to a KingOfShaves thing if I'm disinclined to spend the extra time.

No idea what make of razor it is, looks like carbon steel to me, with a bone handle, and is older than dirt. Belonged to my Grandad. It's nice to have a strop in the house to finish up my work knives as well.

I have a full set of blades from my Grandfather but have not as yet tried them. thought about it often but never really had the time.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

MisterMuncher

Postby MisterMuncher » Tue Oct 02, 2012 07:55 am

A good cleaning is essential on old blades. Carbon steel tends to pick up a lot of greasy taint that's a right bugger to get off and keep off. It holds an edge like nobody's business, though.

EKE_38BPM

Postby EKE_38BPM » Tue Oct 02, 2012 08:16 am

Many moons ago I bought a cut throat razor but I was too scared of it for a few weeks to actually shave with it. Eventually I came home from the pub one night and was far enough on the wrong side of sober to think that now would be a good time to try shaving with if for the first time.

I did the right side of my face and was amazed at how smooth it was, much better than the Gillette Sword Mach Protector 3 Orange Sensitive that I had been using. I then went to the left side of my face to continue being amazed when I noticed a thin line of blood oozing through the lather on the right side of my jaw. I washed the lather off and saw a flap of skin about 2cm long and about 3mm deep.

The blade was so sharp that I didn't feel it go in (or maybe that was the alcohol) and I was scared off for a long time. I've tried a few times since but I don't think its sharp enough any more.

Time to get a strop I think.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

BelgianBeerGeek

Postby BelgianBeerGeek » Tue Oct 02, 2012 08:45 am

Mouth wrote:

A monthly (or so) treat perhaps? Supplemented by DIY in the middle.

How the heck is shaving a treat?

CiB

Postby CiB » Tue Oct 02, 2012 08:54 am

BelgianBeerGeek wrote:How the heck is shaving a treat?

It is. 30 minutes or so of what's become known as me-time, pampering yerself on your own in the bathroom with the wireless on and nobody to come and bother you for a while as you've made it known it's better to be left to get on with it.

Emerging with a properly smooth face and the satisfaction of a job well done is a treat in anyone's book surely.

Kieran_Burns

Postby Kieran_Burns » Tue Oct 02, 2012 09:03 am

CiB wrote:
BelgianBeerGeek wrote:How the heck is shaving a treat?

It is. 30 minutes or so of what's become known as me-time, pampering yerself on your own in the bathroom with the wireless on and nobody to come and bother you for a while as you've made it known it's better to be left to get on with it.

Emerging with a properly smooth face and the satisfaction of a job well done is a treat in anyone's book surely.

i assume you're hiding the magazines after your 'me' time. :shock:
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 09:17 am

well seeing as we are talking shaving....

how quick does your face fuzz grow?

i think i must be part mexicana or somethign as i get growth the next day an i think i got a touch of hypertrichosis

ok not in the league of this poor nipper,

but still bad enough to be called a werewolf if i ever go to the beach, i think i had a hairy chest at 13
Keeping it classy since '83

kieranb

Postby kieranb » Tue Oct 02, 2012 09:28 am

I have used a Merkur Futur 760 Safety Razor for the last few years. I got it as a present after my cheapy DE blade was getting a bit worn looking. It is so much cheaper in the long run (and more green - less waste). I use the mach type things only in emergency and do notice the shave is not so good. I don't think I would go to a straight blade.

BigMat

Postby BigMat » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:42 am

I hate shaving. If I wet shave, its nice and smooth for a few hours, then starts to feel bit prickly , then I get a rash, then red spots, then proper yellow head spots after a day or so. I haven'thad a wet shave for about 10 years as a result. It would be interesting to see whether a cut throat shave was better or worse - I fear worse. I can just about get away with an electric shaver, but have resorted to the bearded look since Christmas. Apparently its a bit trendy, so is Ok with the wife for the time being unless it gets a bit too full. I think I can pull it off with jeans and a t-shirt, but I do feel a bit "audax" when i'm in my lycras - think I'll give it until the end of the year and might go clean shaven again for a bit (every man should have a beard for at least one year of their life I reckon).

Asprilla

Postby Asprilla » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:13 pm

rubertoe wrote:
Asprilla wrote:

Are you married to my Wife?

I quite like the idea of a decent razor - might be added to the christmas list.

Possibly. Has she also trained your kids to squeeze your face cheeks into a fish face and say 'Daddy, I'm not kissing you until you shave'?

If so then we share a bigamist.

Return to “Commuting Chat”