Catford CC Hill Climb

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
curium

Catford CC Hill Climb

Postby curium » Tue Oct 02, 2012 06:11 am

I was going to cycle down and watch the suffering but can't find the climb on google maps.

The website has a link to multimap.com but this doesn't work for me.

Can anyone provide me with a google maps link?

Thanks for your help

phreak

Re: Catford CC Hill Climb

Postby phreak » Tue Oct 02, 2012 06:19 am

I think this is it. I've done a route from the top of Ide Hill (near the car park)

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=yorkshil ... CAsQ_AUoAg

fidgetyphil

Postby fidgetyphil » Tue Oct 02, 2012 07:10 am

Sweet Jesus, I hope its not in Glasgow. I've entered it and was planning on pedaling there from clapham

londoncommuter

Postby londoncommuter » Tue Oct 02, 2012 07:28 am

It does feel like you've ridden to Glasgow and back afterwards.

phreak

Postby phreak » Tue Oct 02, 2012 07:32 am

Bugger, sorry chaps.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ide+ ... 4&t=m&z=14

That should be better :lol:

Extralight

Postby Extralight » Tue Oct 02, 2012 07:45 am

londoncommuter wrote:It does feel like you've ridden to Glasgow and back afterwards.

I know what you mean! I last rode this event in the early 90s, and did quite well. Foolish MAMIL that I am, I've entered this and the Bec Hill climbs again, almost 20 years later. I rode the hills at the weekend. :shock: %$*&ing hell - I struggled to even get up them, let alone race them. I'm sort of hoping they'll be oversubscribed and my enntries will be returned! :oops:

The (second) map that Phreak has posted is correct. The climb goes from B on his map to the junction with the road ahead. It's a horrible, horrible climb! The Bec CC hillclimb up White Lane is a little less hideous (the Catford CC HC is in the morning, and the Bec in the afternoon on the same day). If you're going to see one, why not catch the other? Here's where it is:

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 08:05 am

I think Sean Yates is riding this - his first and last HC apparently!

Le Commentateur

Postby Le Commentateur » Tue Oct 02, 2012 19:55 pm

Extralight wrote:
londoncommuter wrote:It does feel like you've ridden to Glasgow and back afterwards.

I know what you mean! I last rode this event in the early 90s, and did quite well. Foolish MAMIL that I am, I've entered this and the Bec Hill climbs again, almost 20 years later. I rode the hills at the weekend. :shock: %$*&ing hell - I struggled to even get up them, let alone race them. I'm sort of hoping they'll be oversubscribed and my enntries will be returned! :oops:

2/3rds done, the crowds will get you up the last bit.

Le Commentateur

Postby Le Commentateur » Tue Oct 02, 2012 20:09 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:I think Sean Yates is riding this - his first and last HC apparently!

They usually get a 'name' rider in the event each year.

Helps to justify this thread being in the Pro Race forum. :wink:

Nick Fitt

Postby Nick Fitt » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:16 am

Extralight wrote:

The (second) map that Phreak has posted is correct. The climb goes from B on his map to the junction with the road ahead. It's a horrible, horrible climb! The Bec CC hillclimb up White Lane is a little less hideous (the Catford CC HC is in the morning, and the Bec in the afternoon on the same day). If you're going to see one, why not catch the other? Here's where it is:

According to Google maps you have 9 minutes to get up there :wink: :D :D

Extralight

Postby Extralight » Wed Oct 03, 2012 13:28 pm

Le Commentateur wrote:2/3rds done, the crowds will get you up the last bit.

Thanks LC - I hope you're right! I'm worried about stalling and falling off in front of the crowds! Imagine the shame...

If it's wet, it will add an interesting dimension on the last and steepest kick. I had a bit of wheelspin even in the dry.

fidgetyphil

Postby fidgetyphil » Wed Oct 03, 2012 13:39 pm

Disappointingly I got a text saying I had a start time for the event, yesterday. I was hoping the dog had eaten my entry form. I may have to stick a garden fork through my foot the day before. I think it might hurt less.

I'm off for a pie.

Pross

Postby Pross » Wed Oct 03, 2012 14:06 pm

Can't help thinking people are making a mountain out of a molehill (no pun intended) about this hill. Sure, it's steep but from what I can work out it only goes over 10% for about 200 - 300m and briefly touching 18% and is no doubt hard to race up but surely any relatively fit cyclist is capable of just getting up it? It's not exactly Hardknott is it?

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Oct 03, 2012 17:01 pm

Pross wrote:it only goes over 10% for about 200 - 300m and briefly touching 18% and is no doubt hard to race up but surely any relatively fit cyclist is capable of just getting up it?

The Catford is a race but as a previous poster said it is not a Pro Tour race.
Some of us were Amateurs before the Elite racing started.

But anyhow a race is as good as the riders make it and no matter how one Time Trials, then everybody is hurting. Even on the Flat.
Your post is for the Tourists and even they will be out of breath while getting up there.

Directions to the Catford Hill.
Coming up from Sundridge (A25 road). Keep climbing (couple of miles) until Ide Hill village and left turn past village green to keep climbing and then drop down to a road triangle, where left and past pub and up another hill.
Then take a right fork to a minor crossroad. That's it, the top of the Catford is on your right.

From Edenbridge via Four Elms and keep climbing to the road triangle to turn right up the hill/pub you see to your right. Climb this to the fork road etc....

From Tonbridge to Leigh and B 2027 road to Chiddingstone and Bough Beech where, turn right over Rail bridge to Ide Hill. (well you join the road from Edenbridge.

Many years riding or "Lead Car" through these area's

gattocattivo

Postby gattocattivo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 22:43 pm

Pross wrote:Can't help thinking people are making a mountain out of a molehill (no pun intended) about this hill. Sure, it's steep but from what I can work out it only goes over 10% for about 200 - 300m and briefly touching 18% and is no doubt hard to race up but surely any relatively fit cyclist is capable of just getting up it? It's not exactly Hardknott is it?

Pretty wide of the mark. Only the first 100 metres or so are below 10% (you start off on a 'gentle' 8% slope). The average over the whole climb is >12% and the steepest ramps are well over 20%, nearer 25%.
http://app.strava.com/segments/895046
I did it for the first time last year in 2:46, will be back for more punishment again this year.

dsoutar

Postby dsoutar » Thu Oct 04, 2012 06:21 am

gattocattivo wrote:Pretty wide of the mark. Only the first 100 metres or so are below 10% (you start off on a 'gentle' 8% slope). The average over the whole climb is >12% and the steepest ramps are well over 20%, nearer 25%.
I did it for the first time last year in 2:46, will be back for more punishment again this year.

There are some very odd times on that segment. Even discounting the bottom three as some sort of malfunction, I'm not sure I could cycle as slow as the ones immediatley above them without falling off

phreak

Postby phreak » Thu Oct 04, 2012 06:51 am

dsoutar wrote:
gattocattivo wrote:Pretty wide of the mark. Only the first 100 metres or so are below 10% (you start off on a 'gentle' 8% slope). The average over the whole climb is >12% and the steepest ramps are well over 20%, nearer 25%.

There are some very odd times on that segment. Even discounting the bottom three as some sort of malfunction, I'm not sure I could cycle as slow as the ones immediatley above them without falling off

Could they be people stopping on the way up before carrying on?

Pross

Postby Pross » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:47 am

dsoutar wrote:

Walking probably?

Pross

Postby Pross » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:57 am

gattocattivo wrote:
Pross wrote:Can't help thinking people are making a mountain out of a molehill (no pun intended) about this hill. Sure, it's steep but from what I can work out it only goes over 10% for about 200 - 300m and briefly touching 18% and is no doubt hard to race up but surely any relatively fit cyclist is capable of just getting up it? It's not exactly Hardknott is it?

Pretty wide of the mark. Only the first 100 metres or so are below 10% (you start off on a 'gentle' 8% slope). The average over the whole climb is >12% and the steepest ramps are well over 20%, nearer 25%.

The Google map extract above must show the start slightly further down the hill then but Ride With GPS doesn't show anything steeper than 18%. Still very steep and short, steep hill climbs are always the toughest as you can attack them hard. I'm not suggesting it is an easy hill by any means and I certainly wouldn't want to try going hard up it but the response was more to do with people saying it would be a struggle just to get up it.

andyp

Postby andyp » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:04 am

Pross wrote:The Google map extract above must show the start slightly further down the hill then but Ride With GPS doesn't show anything steeper than 18%. Still very steep and short, steep hill climbs are always the toughest as you can attack them hard. I'm not suggesting it is an easy hill by any means and I certainly wouldn't want to try going hard up it but the response was more to do with people saying it would be a struggle just to get up it.

Because the climb is on a heavily wooded, south facing slope, it can be extremely slippery so maintaining traction can be a challenge.

But you are right, anyone who is a regular cyclist should be able to ride up the hill without any issues.

Return to “Pro Race”