Arm warmers/leg warmers, what's the point ?

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
ForumNewbie

Re: Arm warmers/leg warmers, what's the point ?

Postby ForumNewbie » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:15 am

Mikey41 wrote:
Churchill123 wrote:Anyone recommend any leg warmers - and are they as uncomfortable to wear as i imagine?

I got some from Lidl! They are warm enough, don't slip and are in fact very comfortable. Other brands are bound to be better, but for a tenner I have no complaints.

Yesterday I tried out the leg warmers I bought from Lidl a few months ago. Although they seemed to fit when I put them on, after a few hundred yards they were slipping down my legs and after about half a mile I had to stop and take them off.

g00se

Postby g00se » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:02 am

Another +1 for the Endura leg warmers - the FS260 Pro ones. They stay in place and use different materials for different areas. The only downside is the logos eventually start to wash off.

Pross

Postby Pross » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:10 pm

g00se wrote:Another +1 for the Endura leg warmers - the FS260 Pro ones. They stay in place and use different materials for different areas. The only downside is the logos eventually start to wash off.

And another - logos are just about to go completely.

Dashik

Postby Dashik » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:25 pm

So what did you buy? A logo or leg/arm warmers?

If they still do the job.....

g00se

Postby g00se » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:59 pm

Dashik wrote:So what did you buy? A logo or leg/arm warmers?

I know - but a £2 printed t-shirt from Primark will survive the wash, you would have thought £30 technical clothing would too...

Seriously, though, when you're buying cycling gear you can end up spending a fortune on clothing. You want it to look the part and not start looking tatty straight away. It's not just small logos, it's reflectives too.

littleprawn

Postby littleprawn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 15:04 pm

1st proper winter for me cycling. I got my bike at the end of last year and did start commuting on it since start of Easter. I do remember using my old running thermal top and jogging bottom on a few cold Saturday cycles at the beginning of this year which kept me warmish.

I bought some cheap arm/ leg warmers from Lidl a few months ago and wore both them on a 40 mile bike ride yesterday and they did their job. Both have been used on my bike commute and are great pieces of items along with my skull cap for keeping my warm in the wind and elements.

The arm/ leg warmers they are not the brand names but functionally they did the job and when I save more money I might upgrade them. Biking as many have said is not cheap and there are other items I need to get.

As another tip, I hand wash some of my cycling gear and if I machine wash I make sure the reflective elements are turned 'inside out' to extend their life.
Cannondale CAADX 5 105
Trek T10

Pross

Postby Pross » Mon Oct 01, 2012 15:49 pm

Dashik wrote:So what did you buy? A logo or leg/arm warmers?

Um, that's why I've said another +1 for them. They're excellent quality, stay where they should and keep me warm. I was just agreeing on the logo coming off too which is a shame as they look a bit scruffy as a result.

Silly Old Hector

Postby Silly Old Hector » Mon Oct 01, 2012 19:22 pm

g00se wrote:Another +1 for the Endura leg warmers - the FS260 Pro ones. They stay in place and use different materials for different areas. The only downside is the logos eventually start to wash off.

Used mine for the first time yesterday. Great overall, but found I needed to adjust one of them as it kept slipping slightly.
All the gear, but no idea...

Gizmodo

Postby Gizmodo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 20:49 pm

Silly Old Hector wrote:Used mine for the first time yesterday. Great overall, but found I needed to adjust one of them as it kept slipping slightly.

Did you wear your leg warmers over or under your shorts?

I find the grippers have to be on the skin to work, so over your shorts means they slip down. That means they are slightly more difficult to remove if it does get warm, but not that difficult.

wasabi_m

Postby wasabi_m » Tue Oct 02, 2012 21:22 pm

Just bought assos leg protectors. Been fantastic last couple of weeks.

Silly Old Hector

Postby Silly Old Hector » Wed Oct 03, 2012 19:11 pm

Gizmodo wrote:
Silly Old Hector wrote:Used mine for the first time yesterday. Great overall, but found I needed to adjust one of them as it kept slipping slightly.

Did you wear your leg warmers over or under your shorts?

I find the grippers have to be on the skin to work, so over your shorts means they slip down. That means they are slightly more difficult to remove if it does get warm, but not that difficult.

Under a pair of Castelli bibs :roll: , but I do suffer from short leg syndrome :cry:

Think I just need to get used to them.
All the gear, but no idea...

Wily-Quixote

Postby Wily-Quixote » Thu Oct 04, 2012 07:55 am

Used to wear them, don't see the point now. I wear a long sleeved base layer under my jersey for cold days and a short sleeved jersey for hot days. If t starts nippy and warms up i just wear a gilet over a long sleeve jersey, it's never too hot for a long sleeve jersey until the depths of summer, when in SE australia it's often 20+ degrees in the morning anyway.
Leg warmers are just stupid IMO, if it's that cold you need proper winter fleecy bits over your thighs. If it's an inbetweeny day where it starts cool and warms up just wear tights. Either way you have to stop to take the leg warmers off so you may as well be in tights (assuming you're wearing overtights...not tights with amn integrated chamois). They always creep down your legs anyway.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Thu Oct 04, 2012 08:08 am

Wily-Quixote wrote:Leg warmers are just stupid IMO, if it's that cold you need proper winter fleecy bits over your thighs. If it's an inbetweeny day where it starts cool and warms up just wear tights. Either way you have to stop to take the leg warmers off so you may as well be in tights (assuming you're wearing overtights...not tights with amn integrated chamois). They always creep down your legs anyway.

Not so; you are very wrong there. For example, at the moment, it's cold enough in the mornings that I want my legs covered but I certainly don't want any additional layers anywhere else. Tights would be far too hot. And my leg warmers stay put! At least for a couple of hours anyway - might have to make some adjustment then but I can cope with that. Besides, there are plenty of days where it stays cold but not fleecy cold all day.
Faster than a tent.......

Chris James

Postby Chris James » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:32 am

I must admit I find leg warmers a bit pointless.

I like arm warmers and kneewarmers but when it is chilly enough for my lower shins to be covered then I also will want a bit of extra material around mupper thighs and groin and so will put tights on.

It has to be single digits for me to wear a jersey. Current sort of weather (starts off coldish but warms up to 12 degrees or so) is prefect for arm / knee warmers and gilets in my opinion.

giant man

Postby giant man » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:29 am

No, leg warmers are great and very versatile! Love them with 3/4 knicks or roubaix shorts, great autumn wear.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finding the right saddle is the holy grail for the cyclist, good luck, it may take some time .....

Return to “Road Beginners”