Silly commuting racing

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Koncordski

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Koncordski » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:01 am

Wrath Rob wrote:
Koncordski wrote:God it was wet and blustery last night, screaming through richmond park in the dark wind and rain is awesome fun, forgotten how much i enjoy the wet when you've got fitted guards on. 8)

Love mudguards, starting to hate the Gatorskins more as their lack of grip in the wet is becoming an issue again. Maybe time for some 4 Seasons or 4000s?

Yep, changed to the 4 seasons from gators, never changed them back. 8)
----------------
#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

coriordan

Postby coriordan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:15 am

4000s are cheap from bikediscount.de. 22 each or something. I'll be lucky if mine last the winter.

Headhuunter

Postby Headhuunter » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:17 am

willy b wrote:Fair enough, You may indeed need a 64cm then. Strange that they only got upto a 58cm, unless it's slightly more compact geometry?

I'm 6'3 and I've got a 58cm Ribble non audax 7005 race bike. The geometry is more old fashioned so not sloping so smaller sizes are OK. My "weekend bike" has a more sloping geometry and I needed a 61cm. At 6'6 you might be pushed but you might get away with a 58cm with a long seatpost and stem...
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

whitebait01

Postby whitebait01 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:18 am

Had a bit of a funny one this morning, went via A503/A1 which was nice, a guy on a red specialized in Castelli shorts kept me honest and it was nice to have a chat at lights etc. Anyone on here?

It was really greasy out though and had a few hairy moments, almost donked the back of a stopped bus when a van overtaking it slammed his brakes on leaving me nowhere to go (and had another cyclist almost go into the back of me). Spent some time sideways when a ped stepped out into the road with no warning in Angel and had both wheels slip sideways on a wet drain cover coming up to traffic lights almost making me wobble into a stationary motorbike. Dunno what's wrong with me, but I'll be taking it easy on the way home...
Ribble Audax - FCN 5
Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3

pangolin

Postby pangolin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:33 am

whitebait01 wrote:It was really greasy out though and had a few hairy moments, almost donked the back of a stopped bus when a van overtaking it slammed his brakes on leaving me nowhere to go (and had another cyclist almost go into the back of me). Spent some time sideways when a ped stepped out into the road with no warning in Angel and had both wheels slip sideways on a wet drain cover coming up to traffic lights almost making me wobble into a stationary motorbike. Dunno what's wrong with me, but I'll be taking it easy on the way home...

Yeah I had at least 3 dodgy moments on the way in, once properly locked up the rear wheel. Told myself off and tried to cycle more carefully, maybe it is just the roads though.
Genesis Croix de Fer

tetm

Postby tetm » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:34 am

tetm wrote:Anybody on here riding a white Spesh and wearing a Sky jersey between Millbank and Queen Street?

No? Good. Because you ride like a prick, and you're slow to boot.

pitchshifter

Postby pitchshifter » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:37 am

coriordan wrote:4000s are cheap from bikediscount.de. 22 each or something. I'll be lucky if mine last the winter.

I have had mine since 2010 :shock: 2 p*nctures maybe 3? Over 3000 miles and I have only just switched the rear and the front around. Don't cut up anything like my Gatorskins did either.

whitebait01

Postby whitebait01 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:14 am

Headhuunter wrote:
willy b wrote:Fair enough, You may indeed need a 64cm then. Strange that they only got upto a 58cm, unless it's slightly more compact geometry?

I'm 6'3 and I've got a 58cm Ribble non audax 7005 race bike. The geometry is more old fashioned so not sloping so smaller sizes are OK. My "weekend bike" has a more sloping geometry and I needed a 61cm. At 6'6 you might be pushed but you might get away with a 58cm with a long seatpost and stem...

Prior to the Ribble I had a 60cm Ridgeback Horizon which I felt rather cramped on. I've got a 130mm stem on the Ribble (could probably do with 120mm but getting on fine with it so haven't swapped it out yet). And I think I've got over 6" of seatpost showing on the Ribble... It's not a super long toptube on it though, 595mm I think?
Ribble Audax - FCN 5
Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 17:51 pm

Witnessed an interesting coming together of a fakenger and stealth mtb/commuter this morning, they seemed to bounce off each other quite some distance then stand up and do the very British polite apology thing.

Didn't look like a soft landing either
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

pangolin

Postby pangolin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 07:58 am

Hi my name is Pangolin and I have been beaten by Movember shorts guy.

That is all.
Genesis Croix de Fer

willy b

Postby willy b » Thu Oct 04, 2012 08:14 am

pangolin wrote:Hi my name is Pangolin and I have been beaten by Movember shorts guy.

That is all.

He is quite quick though isn't he?

London-Red

Postby London-Red » Thu Oct 04, 2012 08:18 am

Had a quick chat with a tall guy on a Spesh (I think) who I shared the commute with from RP to Embankment. Anyone on here. I spotted the opportunity for a good tow past Pyschic Gardens, and think I lost who ever it was.

Seemed pretty quick, though.

Wrath Rob

Postby Wrath Rob » Thu Oct 04, 2012 08:18 am

willy b wrote:
pangolin wrote:Hi my name is Pangolin and I have been beaten by Movember shorts guy.

That is all.

He is quite quick though isn't he?

He is. And persistent. But that just means you need to MTFU and try harder.

35 miles on the way home last night so engaged Pootle Mode this morning.
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

DonDaddyD

Postby DonDaddyD » Thu Oct 04, 2012 08:35 am

I met Grégory Baugé - yep, black guy on a Specialized with carbony bits for seat stays. He latched onto me down Dover House Road heading onto Upper Richmond Road and onwards towards Kew Bridge.

I didn't want to give it the belly like, so I held a 25mph descent down Dover House and then a bout of filtering and going up the inside of a bus stopped at the lights meant he got ahead of me on Upper Richmond Road. Traffic was too dense for out of the saddle warfare and this was a brother, there aren't too many of us so I didn't want to take his scalp. I should have done, it took me most of Upper Richmond Road - until the Sheen Lane lights - to catch him and I had to hold 25mph to do it. Caught him and held the wheel, he didn't want to make eye contact with me at the lights and he was skin breathing.

He went left, I went straight and onto Clifford Avenue - Sth Circular, I think - where I was greeted with the rare benefit of several other cyclists on road bikes.

Nice.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Thu Oct 04, 2012 08:43 am

DonDaddyD wrote:I met Grégory Baugé - yep, black guy on a Specialized with carbony bits for seat stays. He latched onto me down Dover House Road heading onto Upper Richmond Road and onwards towards Kew Bridge.

I didn't want to give it the belly like, so I held a 25mph descent down Dover House and then a bout of filtering and going up the inside of a bus stopped at the lights meant he got ahead of me on Upper Richmond Road. Traffic was too dense for out of the saddle warfare and this was a brother, there aren't too many of us so I didn't want to take his scalp. I should have done, it took me most of Upper Richmond Road - until the Sheen Lane lights - to catch him and I had to hold 25mph to do it. Caught him and held the wheel, he didn't want to make eye contact with me at the lights and he was skin breathing.

He went left, I went straight and onto Clifford Avenue - Sth Circular, I think - where I was greeted with the rare benefit of several other cyclists on road bikes.

Nice.

25 down Dover House Road? With all those speed humps, mini roundabouts and parked cars? Maybe it's changed since I lived round the corner, but that sounds a bit dicey. Kew Bridge, you say; is this the new job?

EDIT: Have you considered a CX-style descent of Putney Park Lane?
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

DonDaddyD

Postby DonDaddyD » Thu Oct 04, 2012 09:12 am

25 down Dover House Road? With all those speed humps, mini roundabouts and parked cars? Maybe it's changed since I lived round the corner, but that sounds a bit dicey. Kew Bridge, you say; is this the new job?

The speed bumps are those small ones that don't run the width of the road.

Set your bike to the right of the lane and ride through the gap between the speed hump and islands.

As for the roundabouts, if you can't see a car approaching with enough time to stop then you really ought to question whether you should be riding on the road.

As for CX, wash your mouth out
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Kieran_Burns

Postby Kieran_Burns » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:07 am

DonDaddyD wrote:

Set your bike to the right of the lane and ride through the gap between the speed hump and islands.

As for the roundabouts, if you can't see a car approaching with enough time to stop then you really ought to question whether you should be riding on the road.

Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Koncordski

Postby Koncordski » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:08 am

Nice bimble in this morning on the single speed. The deer photographers were out in force in the park this morning, to be fair it was very picturesque with the sun streaming through the mist and all the Stags going mental at each other.

Only opposition worthy of a mention was the guy riding a black Pearson with DHB shorts who had nice pace along embankment but wasn't too difficult to overhaul and the gorgeous matt black Planet-X with red on the inside of the rear triangle (whatever that bit is called).

Stopped on narrow street when i spotted a mate of mine crossing the road, beautiful sunny day perfect for riding. 8)
----------------
#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:36 am

DonDaddyD wrote:

From memory, the road was usually stacked out with parked cars down both sides, so views at the junctions were pretty restricted but maybe it's clearer in the rush hour. As you might guess, I'm pretty cautious around parked cars right now. Putney Park Lane is perfectly ridable in a normal road bike with a bit of skill.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

Wrath Rob

Postby Wrath Rob » Thu Oct 04, 2012 17:19 pm

Evening Pangolin. Nice to put a face to a name, even if it roused me out of pootle mode to do it.
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Return to “Commuting Chat”