Going clipless

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
Mark_Cookie

Going clipless

Postby Mark_Cookie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 15:27 pm

Hi,

I'm sure every clipless user has been here before, but I've only ever ridden with flats since I started riding a few years ago but I'm thinking of going clipless for a number of reasons:

I'm a spin instructor - and I use SPD's on the spin bikes, the power delivery is smoother and I'm getting less injuries as I can 'pull' and push

I'm mainly a XC rider I don't do any hardcore DH or all mountain style riding (in fact I'm pretty crap at anything too scary), so I'm never hitting massive drops and I want to exploit my good level of fitness

Finally - I'm shallow, and I look at my hardtail Boardman Comp and think it looks daft (please leave out the Halfords jokes) with flat V10 copys on it, despite the fact they're a nice grippy pedal

I really want to give them a go but I'm terrified of not being able to put a foot out to steady myself or falling off with a bike attached to my feet.

Anyone got any tips, hints, suggestions etc?

Thanks,
Mark

styxd

Re: Going clipless

Postby styxd » Wed Oct 03, 2012 15:29 pm

Go for it. Cheap shimanos are good. Set the cleats loose, your feet will probably fall out when you fall off.

I agree, flat pedals look a bit naff on xc bikes.

elredso

Postby elredso » Wed Oct 03, 2012 15:45 pm

i got a pair of the ones from the thread below - spd one side, flat on the other - perfect for me 80% off the time im clipped in, when it gets a bit techy / downhilly, i just ride on the flat side - takes a bit of getting used to (locating the correct side) but really is teh best of both worlds !

viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12876392

tugger

Postby tugger » Wed Oct 03, 2012 15:48 pm

advice: man up :lol:
All about the aggregation of marginal gains (or marginal losses, depending on who you are!!)

WindyG

Postby WindyG » Wed Oct 03, 2012 15:55 pm

I found clipless really easy to get used to, as above just set them loose and tighten them up if you feel you need to when you get used to cliping in and out. I actually feel much more confident with them as I don't need to think about my feet slipping off flats and there is a lot less chance of hitting something with pedals due to the small profile.
Shimano M520 are dirt cheap at under £20.

Chunkers1980

Postby Chunkers1980 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 15:57 pm

elredso wrote:i got a pair of the ones from the thread below - spd one side, flat on the other - perfect for me 80% off the time im clipped in, when it gets a bit techy / downhilly, i just ride on the flat side - takes a bit of getting used to (locating the correct side) but really is teh best of both worlds !

viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12876392

It is just so not. One or the other.

I laughed out loud last night at a silly roadie who fumbled his clip-in about 4 times. He gave me an odd look, but knew I was laughing directly at him

Rushmore

Postby Rushmore » Wed Oct 03, 2012 17:47 pm

SPD's - there is nothing to it..

You'll find that when you want to put your foot down you'll twist and unclip anyway as that is the natural movent you make...

It's all a mind game.. just ride hard with them, pretend your just on flats.. you'll be much faster over the rough stuff aswell as you won't bounce off the pedals!

win - win!
Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
De Rosa R838

prawny

Postby prawny » Wed Oct 03, 2012 19:03 pm

I've always been nervy off road with SPD's despite using them on and off for 15 years or more. My confidence to a massive boost at the tail end of the summer when I lost the front end on two consecutive rides and both times my foot was on the ground before I even thought about it, just as rushmore said. As others have said, whack the tension as low as it will go and you should have no problems. If you do happen to crash you're feet will pop straight out.

I don't recommend them for learning to wheelie though.
Saracen Dirttrax Disc
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015
Voodoo Bizango - 2014

Rushmore

Postby Rushmore » Wed Oct 03, 2012 20:24 pm

prawny wrote:

True Dat :oops:
Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
De Rosa R838

waverider

Postby waverider » Wed Oct 03, 2012 21:01 pm

I found just spending some time over somewhere with a soft landing (field or whatever) to practise clipping in and out - both sides in case you lean the wrong way, then go for it!

Apart from leaning the wrong way, I found for rushed un clipping ('where he hell did that come from!' moments), if your foot is at the top of the pedal stroke it's more difficult, so try that out too.

If your not already then practising some track stands will help boost confidence too.

It definitely improves your riding xc in the long term, focus more on the increased control you ll get, rather than the opportunities to end up on your ass!

Sleipnir's Master

Postby Sleipnir's Master » Wed Oct 03, 2012 21:51 pm

I dunno, Alot of my rides i walk atleast a 3rd of it either due to wet slippy mud terrain or my butt hurts (granted it need to be a longgggg run for that to happen). So i tend to like walking boots when im out.
XC to me is long country dirt lanes and single track like the 9km run round glentress maybe im wrong in that but i'd want good boot rather than trainer style shoes that clipless bring. As i said maybe my views are dated but it is not very often i slip a pedal and 99% of the time its because im not paying attention away! :-| Clip shoes for racing and back road hybrid styles but XC / Cross Country & DH i prefer flat pedals (they don't need to be hewmungus either).

waverider

Postby waverider » Thu Oct 04, 2012 06:47 am

I hear what your saying, round me it's a lot of rolling dorset hills. If I do go to the forests and look for some gnarly trails generally I ll consider putting the flats back on - it only takes a few mins.

Not sure I agree with you on the shoes front, I run crank bros mallets, which were developed for DH, along with 5ten minnars, which give me a fair amount of support,feels a bit on the heavy side but you don't notice once your riding. also pretty easy to bail with if I need to.

I prefer the platform feel of this setup to the smaller clipless options out there, but that's just me

:roll:

Mark_Cookie

Postby Mark_Cookie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:38 am

It looks like the overwhelming majority are just saying try it! Ok then, to save me getting another pair of shoes I was just going to use my Northwave Touring ones that I used for spin with SH51 (something or other cleats) they're not multi directional so will that make unclipping harder?

Chunkers1980

Postby Chunkers1980 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:05 am

No. But Shimano pedals come with cleats - the SH51s

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:29 am

Try it, you'll have probably 2 or 3 comedy falls but you'll be fine, and riding clipped in is so much easier (is that wrong in itself?)

70\'sPenguin

Postby 70\'sPenguin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 18:31 pm

Rushmore wrote:
prawny wrote:

True Dat :oops:

+1

Chunkers1980

Postby Chunkers1980 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 18:43 pm

Just make sure you have the back brake covered.

J_asonR

Postby J_asonR » Thu Oct 04, 2012 18:51 pm

I put a pair of cheap Shimano clips straight on my XC bike as I got it up and running and just got back from my debut ride on it! The power of the clips (coming from road bikes) is so much better than flats so I'm definitely going to stick with them!

The only fault for me on them is I seem to lose the blood in the toes on my right foot, I don't know if anyone else has experiences this? (Not trying to steal the thread)..

Other than that! Definitely clipped is better IMO.

Sleipnir's Master

Postby Sleipnir's Master » Thu Oct 04, 2012 23:01 pm

waverider wrote:I hear what your saying, round me it's a lot of rolling dorset hills. If I do go to the forests and look for some gnarly trails generally I ll consider putting the flats back on - it only takes a few mins.

Not sure I agree with you on the shoes front, I run crank bros mallets, which were developed for DH, along with 5ten minnars, which give me a fair amount of support,feels a bit on the heavy side but you don't notice once your riding. also pretty easy to bail with if I need to.

I prefer the platform feel of this setup to the smaller clipless options out there, but that's just me

:roll:

Each to there own, they world would be a boaring place if we all love the same thing :) I can see the advantage of clip ons. I am bad for not planning ride but cycling where i feel, Quite often get to a juntion and toss a coin for which way i got next :-P clip on would really help for cycling work though!

bluechair84

Postby bluechair84 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 07:26 am

Try choosing SPDs with a platform around them - they're not as scary. I started using my SPDs a lot more this year and moved from just the clips to a platformed designed and they're so much nicer to stand on.
And to whomever said V10s - if you mean V8s/V12s, they're a Godawful relic of the '90s! They were fine back then but I have some as spares now and they've got nothing compared to a modern flat. Upgrade to the present!

Return to “MTB General”