Help with comparing bikes (replacing a stolen mtb)

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
stiscooby

Help with comparing bikes (replacing a stolen mtb)

Postby stiscooby » Wed Oct 03, 2012 19:54 pm

Hi,

Discovered this morning some thieving bugger has broken into my shed and stolen my bike :evil:

My bike was a Mongoose Tyax Elite 2010 - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mon ... 2#features

The insurance company called me this evening saying "their system" has a Voodoo Bantu down as an equivalent - http://www.voodoobikes.co.uk/bikes/mountainbikes/bantu and asked me to take a look to see what I think (halfords sell them apparently so that has already put me off, lol).

Now, I'm not too clued up when it comes to the specs of the bikes but would like to know if the voodoo Bantu would be a reasonable replacement or is there something else I should fight my corner for?

My Mongoose cost me £400 about a year and half ago, was in as new condition as it had never been out in the wet/mud as only used it on summer days.

Can anyone pass any opinions please?

Appreciate any advice, thanks.

70\'sPenguin

Re: Help with comparing bikes (replacing a stolen mtb)

Postby 70\'sPenguin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 20:07 pm

Seems a fair trade to be honest.

supersonic
Lives Here

Postby supersonic » Wed Oct 03, 2012 20:09 pm

The Voodoo is a better specced bike.

LJ.

Postby LJ. » Wed Oct 03, 2012 20:24 pm

I think you are getting a good trade but if you want to try your luck ask them if they will let you have the model up the Voodoo Hoodoo - you could try saying because it has the same brakes as your old bike it would be a more suitable replacement, even though everything else is probably a lot better. Worth a shot

stiscooby

Postby stiscooby » Wed Oct 03, 2012 21:47 pm

Or, if they will do it, I don't mind paying a little bit on top of what they will give me to get something else/slightly better, if there is something else worth looking at for a little bit extra?

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”