Roadracer Mudguards

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
Sanjay

Re: Roadracer Mudguards

Postby Sanjay » Wed Oct 03, 2012 21:20 pm

I've sworn by Roadracers for a couple of years now but sadly I dont have enough clearance to fit them on the rear of my new Canyon.

Could anyone recommend and alternative which is as light as possible?

Duffer65

Postby Duffer65 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 05:59 am

andy46 wrote:Thought I'd share the days handywork :lol: they don't look too bad in my opinion.

Nice work! You should feel rightly proud of yourself, as do I, for completing a fairly simple task. Our ancestors discovered fire and invented the wheel. We managed to put some flimsy bits of plastic on our bikes without starting WW3 :D
Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!

giant man

Postby giant man » Thu Oct 04, 2012 14:29 pm

I've been using them for the last couple of years, they do a good job and for mudguards, they look good ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finding the right saddle is the holy grail for the cyclist, good luck, it may take some time .....

andy46

Postby andy46 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 20:54 pm

Duffer65 :lol:

I've just said in another thread, been out tonight to test them out and had a rattle on the front guard where the tip was hitting the tyre when on rougher ground.

Hopefully I've cured this by simply pulling the cable tie a little tighter. I will not rest until they are totally silent :lol:
2009 Scott Spark 50

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 05:20 am

andy46 wrote:Duffer65 I will not rest until they are totally silent :lol:

Prepare to be entirely unrested :shock:
Yellow is the new Black.

Duffer65

Postby Duffer65 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 06:48 am

andy46 wrote:Duffer65 :lol:

I've just said in another thread, been out tonight to test them out and had a rattle on the front guard where the tip was hitting the tyre when on rougher ground.

Hopefully I've cured this by simply pulling the cable tie a little tighter. I will not rest until they are totally silent :lol:

Hmmm, I'm yet to test mine out (but will tonight) the front appears stable enough although the rear seems to have potential to wobble about and make some noise! We'll see...
Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!

Peddle Up!

Postby Peddle Up! » Fri Oct 05, 2012 13:29 pm

Well I started the thread, so I feel obliged to report on progress. Here they are, fitted in around 40 minutes with the aid of the Crud video tutorial (the instructions in the box are a bit sparse).

Very pleased with the result. A good fit with no rubbing, and as a bous they match the bike. :)

I especially like the extra protection given to the BB region which normally takes a muddy pounding at this time of year.

Throughout the fitting I had a feeling of déjà vu which I couldn't place until I imagined the smell of polystyrene cement. If only I'd painted the pilot before I stuck him in the cockpit. :roll:

Purveyor of "up" :)

Duffer65

Postby Duffer65 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 14:52 pm

Another success :D

Rulebritania

Postby Rulebritania » Fri Oct 05, 2012 15:08 pm

I'm gonna order mine today.....
Don't call me sir I work for a living

redvee

Postby redvee » Fri Oct 05, 2012 22:36 pm

Rulebritania wrote:I'm gonna order mine today.....

Best price is Parkers, £21.50, though Evans will match this.

MarksMintness

Postby MarksMintness » Fri Oct 05, 2012 22:51 pm

Fitted mine last night, took about 40 mins using the instructions and picture on the front of the box! Well chuffed with the result they look great and no rubbing so far! My SKS commuter guards shattered one day going over a bump which also gave me a pinch puncture. I like that these guards aren't really bolted into place so they are free to float a bit. Going to give them a full road test tomorrow I hope! Will report back later.
Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!

briantrumpet

Postby briantrumpet » Sat Oct 06, 2012 08:08 am

Refitted mine yesterday, removing the wheels to do so, having stored the mudguards over the Summer in one piece. Easy job, about 10 minutes. Though they look flimsy they do a brilliant job. You've just got to remember not to stand the bike up on its back wheel when taking it into the house, or you'll snap off the extension piece on the rear mudguard. I speak from experience. D'oh.

Peddle Up!

Postby Peddle Up! » Sat Oct 06, 2012 08:45 am

briantrumpet wrote:Refitted mine yesterday, removing the wheels to do so, having stored the mudguards over the Summer in one piece.

Getting ahead of myself, I know :) but what's the best way to store them. The fitting video suggests that they can distort under applied pressure which can be a good thing to even them out, but a disaster if they distorted during the long hot summers that we are prone to. :)

Bobbinogs

Postby Bobbinogs » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:00 am

I still think SKS Raceblade Longs are better. I found the Cruds to just bounce around all the time, especially on some of the country roads round here, whereas the SKS are really solid.

Just back from a ride today and I could not believe how wet the roads were...beautiful sunshine but soaking wet roads. Ended up underestimating my stopping capacity but still managed to admire the mudguards as I bounced off the front of a car at a roundabout. Ho hum :)

Duffer65

Postby Duffer65 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:41 am

My effort. Still experiencing a slight rub on the rear mudguard near the FD which I need to sort out.

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:37 am

Duffer65 wrote:My effort. Still experiencing a slight rub on the rear mudguard near the FD which I need to sort out.

It sounds wrong but lossen the big zip tie at the bottom near the BB, it tends to pull the guard in odd ways, if you loosen it it will float more and not rub
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

Duffer65

Postby Duffer65 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:39 am

Cheers, I'll give it a go.

andy46

Postby andy46 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:15 pm

I've been out this morning, as others have said lovely sunshine but quite wet in places. The front still rattles a bit over rough ground. I think thats just the way they are though. Rear is spot on, I was really happy with how clean they kept the bike.
2009 Scott Spark 50

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport

Peddle Up!

Postby Peddle Up! » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:41 pm

Bobbinogs wrote:Just back from a ride today and I could not believe how wet the roads were...beautiful sunshine but soaking wet roads.

Wow! You weren't kidding. Loads of water running off the hills and developing huge puddles - full of potholes, of course. :roll: Just as bad the deluge has washed a lot of the hedge trimmings into the road, so extra care needed to avoid the dreaded "p".

At one point my road was blocked by a swollen stream. I was trying to gauge the depth when a farmer said, "Don't bother" and offered me a lift. Sitting with the passenger's door open and holding up the front forks the water still came to over halfway up the front wheel! :shock: BTW, what's the deepest you can ford on a bike without being certain of coming off? Wet feet taken as read, of course. :)
Last edited by Peddle Up! on Sat Oct 06, 2012 18:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobbinogs

Postby Bobbinogs » Sat Oct 06, 2012 17:23 pm

Peddle Up! wrote:BTW, what's the deepest you can ford on a bike without being certain of coming off? Wet feet taken as read, of course. :)

Personally, I would avoid grinding water into bearings as most of them have dust seals rather than full on water seals. Hence, unless I fancied stripping/regreasing (or replacing) the bottom bracket then I would not be cycling through anything that deep. Same goes for wheels/hubs...and when it gets to the headset bearings then it is time to get your trunks on :)

Return to “Road Beginners”