Carbon Rose or Ti VN Chinook, aaaaaagh!

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
fsd61b

Carbon Rose or Ti VN Chinook, aaaaaagh!

Postby fsd61b » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:36 pm

I am considering 2 bikes after loads of deliberation either; the Rose carbon Pro RS 4400 (or the Ultegra version)
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose ... aid:532167
OR
Van Nicholas Chinook 105.
http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/26050/product ... -2013.aspx
I've missed out on good deals on other makes ,mainly due to 60 or 62cm sizes not being available so decided to go for what I want rather than looking for a bargain.
This will be a major investment and completely "doing my heed in" so any comment would be appreciated, especially on the Rose which is an option based on seeing a green and white one (now sold out) at a TT and thinking it was a great looking bike.
Bike would be used as Sunday best; all day runs,summer training and hopefully some racing next year.
Cheers

ianbar

Re: Carbon Rose or Ti VN Chinook, aaaaaagh!

Postby ianbar » Thu Oct 04, 2012 20:06 pm

titanium all the way.....wel that will be my next purchase hopefully soon!
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

fsd61b

Postby fsd61b » Thu Oct 04, 2012 20:15 pm

ianbar wrote:titanium all the way.....wel that will be my next purchase hopefully soon!

What did you have in mind ? I've not had a Ti bike before but I still remember seeing one for the 1st time at a race in 1976 and really wanting one (to the point of painting my red bike silver!).

solboy10

Postby solboy10 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 20:21 pm

Ok I have a Mistral and now lust after a cf bike, don't know why maybe it's about the grass always being greener on the other side. One thing I do know is that I will never sell my vn. If I were you I would go for the vn out of these two but if buying from Fat Birds get the bike built with campag and get a nice set of wheels. Mine came from FBs and I had it built to my spec rather than the standard spec and got a right old bargain at the same time.

fsd61b

Postby fsd61b » Thu Oct 04, 2012 20:33 pm

solboy10 wrote:Ok I have a Mistral and now lust after a cf bike, don't know why maybe it's about the grass always being greener on the other side. One thing I do know is that I will never sell my vn. If I were you I would go for the vn out of these two but if buying from Fat Birds get the bike built with campag and get a nice set of wheels. Mine came from FBs and I had it built to my spec rather than the standard spec and got a right old bargain at the same time.

Thats good to know, thanks, I had thought about the wheels issue as I had hoped to have a one off payment and no need to upgrade for a year or so.How is the Mistral for fast work & climbing? I wanted one but size was too tight.

solboy10

Postby solboy10 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 20:42 pm

With decent wheels the mistral is a good alrounder but not as responsive as cf. have you seen the new ventus that vn are now making? Ref the wheels See what fb will do. should be able to just pay the difference and the eastons it comes with are naff. Fb do reynolds wheels that may be worth a look.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”