Another day at the cold face

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
muzzan

Another day at the cold face

Postby muzzan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 18:59 pm

Hi,

Simple question... what does everyone do about their face being painfully cold in these early mornings now that the temperature is dropping (esp here in glasgow). Obviously MTFU is an option. Wearing a balaclava is surely a last resort though (with safety implications for side vision etc).

Prob asked and answered before but to be honest I fancied using the subject heading ;-)

Cheers

dhope

Re: Another day at the cold face

Postby dhope » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:00 pm

I MTFU, but then London cold and Glasgow cold aren't the same
Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

Corporate Camper

Postby Corporate Camper » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:00 pm

You need a buff!

team47b

Postby team47b » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:01 pm

Get up later?

What would I know :D
my isetta is a 300cc bike

jimmypippa

Postby jimmypippa » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:03 pm

Windproofs and a baselayer.

including some windproof headgear

thecrofter

Postby thecrofter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:06 pm

Corporate Camper wrote:You need a buff!

+1
You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:09 pm

Corporate Camper wrote:You need a buff!

Correction - you need two buffs. Or more than two. Or at least one half fleece, half normal. Just get some buffs.

And some decent gloves, and some decent feet layers. Everything else can be sorted relatively easily.
Faster than a tent.......

Kieran_Burns

Postby Kieran_Burns » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:18 pm

Cycling in the buff when it is cold is ALWAYS a good idea.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

muzzan

Postby muzzan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:34 pm

OK then, buff looks a good shout, thanks guys! Hadnt heard of them to be honest but will be investing shortly. Any particular ones recommended?

The rest of me is pretty much covered (literally & metaphorically). Got the gloves, tights, base layers, windproof jackets etc, but was a bit alarmed by how painful my face was last couple of mornings & we're nowhere near freezing yet, its only going to get colder...

As you can tell I've never cycled through the winter before so bit apprehensive... another thought I had this morning was that when it gets really cold the absolute last thing in the world you want is a puncture. OK, maybe being mashed by an artic would be marginally worse...

UndercoverElephant

Postby UndercoverElephant » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:35 pm

I go with a helmet liner cap - just got a new Gore one which seems great, then I have a buff around my neck, which can be pulled up at the back and over my ears.

Asprilla

Postby Asprilla » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:38 pm

muzzan wrote:OK then, buff looks a good shout, thanks guys! Hadnt heard of them to be honest but will be investing shortly. Any particular ones recommended?

The rest of me is pretty much covered (literally & metaphorically). Got the gloves, tights, base layers, windproof jackets etc, but was a bit alarmed by how painful my face was last couple of mornings & we're nowhere near freezing yet, its only going to get colder...

As you can tell I've never cycled through the winter before so bit apprehensive... another thought I had this morning was that when it gets really cold the absolute last thing in the world you want is a puncture. OK, maybe being mashed by an artic would be marginally worse...

Start with a thin one and work your way up.

I've got one that's part fleece and part windstopper and if its above -5c then it's too warm. Also, the thicker it is the less likely you are to pull it over you face and breath through it.

suzyb

Postby suzyb » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:49 pm

I go with an ear warmer to keep my lugs warm and a buff I got from Decathlon in Glasgow.

iPete

Postby iPete » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:51 pm

Merino buff. Win.

walkingbootweather

Postby walkingbootweather » Thu Oct 04, 2012 20:27 pm

Don't ride with a freshly shaved face. I find if I keep my ears and neck warm the rest of my face is fine. Hell, it's better than fine - it's bl00dy gorgeous. :wink:
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

SimonAH

Postby SimonAH » Thu Oct 04, 2012 21:21 pm

Cut a large central hole in your lycra and let the old man swing free. Your face will feel toasty warm.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

SimonAH

Postby SimonAH » Thu Oct 04, 2012 21:24 pm

walkingbootweather wrote:Don't ride with a freshly shaved face. I find if I keep my ears and neck warm the rest of my face is fine. Hell, it's better than fine - it's bl00dy gorgeous. :wink:

Actually, following a clippers mishap when I had to stubble my beard to hide the carnage that ensued, I could actually feel the slipstream vortex from my chin on my neck for a coupla days. This is true.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

roger merriman

Postby roger merriman » Thu Oct 04, 2012 21:53 pm

muzzan wrote:Hi,

Simple question... what does everyone do about their face being painfully cold in these early mornings now that the temperature is dropping (esp here in glasgow). Obviously MTFU is an option. Wearing a balaclava is surely a last resort though (with safety implications for side vision etc).

Prob asked and answered before but to be honest I fancied using the subject heading ;-)

Cheers

Warm hat is about as much as I'll drop to, But I run warm at best of times any how.

While I now live in London I used to and my folks live in them hills so I'm aware that it can get -5 -10 -15 -20 each point having a bit more bite to it.

WGWarburton

Postby WGWarburton » Thu Oct 04, 2012 22:24 pm

muzzan wrote:Hi,

Cheers

Beard.

...it only needs a couple of mm. Earlobes are my weak spot- I've lost skin due to windburn/frost-nip in recent years...

Cheers,
W.

BelgianBeerGeek

Postby BelgianBeerGeek » Fri Oct 05, 2012 07:34 am

+1 to the beard. Grew one a couple of winters ago and haven't really got rid of it.

If you can't do the beard, shave in the evenings. It stops the cold attacking your freshly-shaved skin.

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Fri Oct 05, 2012 07:35 am

Down to -6 last winter all I needed was a thin cotton muff to keep the windchill at bay, teamed up with a cheap T base layer and Aldi's best softshell and gloves and I'm toasty, 3/4 length cotton shorts (past the knee's) complete my look.

I did have to take the buff off one day when it tried to kill me (breath frozen solid across the mouth area!)

If you're cold, PEDAL HARDER!

Return to “Commuting Chat”