Turbo tyre for 24" wheel or alternative option?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
othello

Turbo tyre for 24" wheel or alternative option?

Postby othello » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:55 pm

Does anyone know of a turbo tyre for a 24" wheel? I've googled and cannot find anything, but wanted to check in case I'm missing anything obvious?

It is for my son, who rides a 24" wheel road bike. He wants a turbo to warm up on before events/races and to ride alongside me on mine during the winter!

I don't want to wear out his normal tyres off the turbo really, but if I can't find a specific turbo tyre I'm wondering what the best option is:

* Rollers. Might be the way forward but he is a bit young to ride them by himself and needs me with him all the time

* Turbo with rim rollers. Seems the Minoura RDA is the only one of its kind.

* Use his normal tyres on the turbo but don't set the resistance very high so they don't wear as fast

Any ideas anyone?
Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com

cougie

Re: Turbo tyre for 24" wheel or alternative option?

Postby cougie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 23:58 pm

I can't see there's much demand for a turbo tyre that size.
I've always used normal tyres on my turbo and haven't noticed excessive wear. How many miles is he riding anyway ?
Try it and see for yourself ?

othello

Re: Turbo tyre for 24" wheel or alternative option?

Postby othello » Fri Oct 05, 2012 08:17 am

cougie wrote:I can't see there's much demand for a turbo tyre that size.
I've always used normal tyres on my turbo and haven't noticed excessive wear. How many miles is he riding anyway ?
Try it and see for yourself ?

He isn't riding that many miles to be honest -- a little bit of warm up before races and a bit over the winter. I've always found a turbo wears tyres quickly (and I have a turbo tyre on my bike) and don't want to excessively wear his road tyres. Unless I slack the tension right off so it's only *just* touching?
Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com

Return to “Road Buying Advice”