Road bike or mountain bike for winter commute

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
ademort

Road bike or mountain bike for winter commute

Postby ademort » Fri Oct 05, 2012 09:01 am

I use a Giant Defy 4 for my winter commute which is 10 miles of flat mainly unlit road. Of course when the snow and ice

comes around my 30 minute commute can turn into 70 or 80 minutes, a nightmare. Here,s my question. I have money to spend and am thinking of purchasing a mountain bike for those days when it ,s almost impossible to ride on the Giant. Can anybody recommend a descent mountain bike for those rotten days when the racing bike is just inadequate.
Ademort

Oldfield

Re: Road bike or mountain bike for winter commute

Postby Oldfield » Fri Oct 05, 2012 09:31 am

If it were me, I'd just get something cheap and cheerful from Halfords. It's not a massive commute and it'll probably be ruined by all the salt spray.

That said unless it's actually snowing I'll be riding my summer (only) road bike whatever the weather, and just try to keep it clean.

maddog 2

Postby maddog 2 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 09:37 am

road for sure. There are plenty of winter trainers/cyclocross type bikes nowadays - fit some 'guards and burly 28+mm tyres and it'll handle anything. MTBs are slow, unless you basically turn them into a a flat-bar road bike.
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer

eyebee

Postby eyebee » Fri Oct 05, 2012 09:44 am

Stick with what you've got. Add mudguards, what you save on another bike you can upgrade your wheels spring/summer.
I commute the same distance on a Defy 1 without issue, year round. That said, i do drive when it snows but that's not often.

ademort

Postby ademort » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:06 am

I dont need to upgrade for the summer as i have a number of other road bikes. Adding mudguards will really not make my commute any better in bad weather as i wear waterproofs anyway.I really feel that with a mountain bike i will have more grip on the road. The weather here in the Netherland s in the last 2 years in winter with the snow and ice makes a commute on a racing bike almost impossible, i would probably be better off walking.
Ade

mhj999

Postby mhj999 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:16 am

MTB's on roads are just painful for roadies! Like riding a lead brick.I do 3 miles a day on an MTB to save my road bike - I hate every second of it.
Sensa Giulia 105

mhj999

Postby mhj999 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:18 am

So i haven't really helped - but FWIW my suggestion would be a cyclocross bike.
Sensa Giulia 105

ademort

Postby ademort » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:04 am

I,m thinking more along the lines of safety. On the Giant it,s a nightmare, at least with a mountain bike i,ve got a bit more grip on the road. I don,t care if it makes for harder riding.
Ade

snoopsmydogg

Postby snoopsmydogg » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:24 pm

any cheap mtb will do the job you want it to. or why not look into a hybrid or 29er? they will give you the option of chunkier tyres but with the larger wheels should be more like a road bike.

if you are not going off road then probably best to stay away from any form of suspension as it will only add weight.

andy46

Postby andy46 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 18:51 pm

For a winter/work hack I'd be tempted with one of these... even if they are from Halfords!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... e=shopping

You can get them a lot cheaper on eBay.
2009 Scott Spark 50

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport

solboy10

Postby solboy10 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 18:58 pm

Ok I think what you need is a CX bike or failing that a cannondale bad boy as this was the best commuter bike I have ever had. Whatever you do don't get a MTb as that what I use right now as I can't risk my road bike getting nicked from the station and hate every pedal stroke. Seriously the bad boy with guards is a great commuter.

Bordersroadie

Postby Bordersroadie » Fri Oct 05, 2012 19:45 pm

For riding in ice and heavy frost, the only safe way to do it is on a bike equipped with studded tyres like Schwalbe Marathon Winters. Such tyres are available in 700c (fitting cyclo cross type bikes with large clearances or maybe a tourer) or 26 inch (MTB).

I ride a road bike in all weathers except snow, ice and frost, when my MTB with ice tyres comes out.

JamesB

Postby JamesB » Fri Oct 05, 2012 20:12 pm

Go with an MTB
a few years back i used to only have an MTB and used it for a 32 mile around commute, with knobbleys too. It was solid and safe feeling with extar control from discs brakes and flat bars. I then got a road bike which was 5 min quicker than MTB for this commute and more fun too. BUT for a safer and more controllable ride I still used my MTB; now though having gone much more to road riding I must admit to being more conscious of finding an MTB with slicks / rigid forks comparatively cumbersome; however in our very poor winter dec 2010 ---riding on slushy semi frozen snowy lanes---I felt the MTB on road was only option and put up with being slower etc For me teh saftey aspect overuled the being faster

ademort

Postby ademort » Fri Oct 05, 2012 20:34 pm

The safety aspect plays a big part in my decision to go with an MTB this year. The last 2 winters i have spent a lot of the time offshore so have not had the whole winter to endure. However when i have had to cycle to work in the snow and ice i,m barely getting into double figures with the speed and i,m all over the place. It,s just not comfortable or safe in those conditions and i do not want to take the risk. It looks like i will be cycling all this winter to work with no more offshore trips planned so i want to get myself something now rather than later, on buying a bike i may well put Schwalbe snow tyres on it right away. As i said it will only be used for those really bad days and then will be stored till next year. Anyone any suggestions as to what to buy.
Ade

Return to “Road Buying Advice”