Bikes by colour?

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
craigw99

Re: Bikes by colour?

Postby craigw99 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:55 am

mintedox wrote:My mate is like this with lime green. Proper colour.

FTFY .

nowt wrong wit keeping the bling matching
opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
1992 cannondale m1000 still going just

mcnultycop

Postby mcnultycop » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:02 pm

I went for the mamba green for my Canyon precisely because if I went for a black and white bike I'd end up buying daft coloured bling for it, absolutely nothing will go with the mamba green so if I upgrade anything it will be in easily available black.

t0pc4t

Postby t0pc4t » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:43 pm

I wouldn't buy a bike based on colour, but of the ones available I would choose which one I liked best and then probably get kit that sort of matched if I could. When blinging it I would probably then go for upgrades in a matching colour but that's about as far as it goes.

I don't think there's anything wrong with colour matching it all, if that's your thing, it's not about being sensible is it, it's a hobby.
Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6

lawman

Postby lawman » Thu Oct 04, 2012 20:19 pm

Why shouldn't you buy a bike if you like the colour? surely if it looks great it adds to the incentive to go ride?

Personally if a bike has a load of colours on it, it looks shoot. you wouldn't buy a car if all the panels were different colours.

Sure there is the whole argument if it works, its fine blah blah blah. As I say for me, bike aesthetics is a big part of it when I hand over my cash.

Susan Boyle could be the best ride you've ever had, would you really want to be seen in public with her? Its the same with bikes....*

*Especially specialized (ooohhhh did I type that out loud?!)

Cycling is Forever

Postby Cycling is Forever » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:29 am

lawman wrote:Personally if a bike has a load of colours on it, it looks shoot. you wouldn't buy a car if all the panels were different colours.

Oh I don't know I've seen plenty of these around Image

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:29 am

lawman wrote:Why shouldn't you buy a bike if you like the colour? surely if it looks great it adds to the incentive to go ride?

It's one thing buying a bike because you like the colour, another buying it JUST because you like the colour.....

I can't see the bike when I'm riding it, it's not a fashion accesory, so I just ride it!

lawman

Postby lawman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 13:48 pm

The Beginner wrote:
lawman wrote:Why shouldn't you buy a bike if you like the colour? surely if it looks great it adds to the incentive to go ride?

It's one thing buying a bike because you like the colour, another buying it JUST because you like the colour.....

I can't see the bike when I'm riding it, it's not a fashion accesory, so I just ride it!

IMO when spending X amount of money on a bike within reason it should tick all the boxes. The spec should be about right, geometry and if it looks crap, would you not go for a bike with similar characteristics that did tick the looks box? I sure as hell would. Obviously there are exceptions, but on the whole if X bike had X spec for X amount of money, but another bike had similar spec, ride feel, was abit more expensive, but looked better, I'd spend the extra. Spending money on what are effectively luxery items, they should make you feel decent about buying it, cos one day someones gonna rock up on the better looking bike and you wish you bought it instead.

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Fri Oct 05, 2012 17:16 pm

You seem to have missed the word JUST in big capitals....I'm not disagreeing if you have 2 otherwise 'identical' (to you) bikes then pick the better looking. Heck if people bought bikes on looks, Orange would have gone bust yonks ago!

Red.Devil.Ghost

Postby Red.Devil.Ghost » Fri Oct 05, 2012 22:28 pm

The looks were a factor in mine. I also liked the fact that it was quite cheap and had a good spec.

But I also like the fact its a Ghost. Just a cool name I think.

But I do agree with the view that if you are spending a lot of money you buy something that is both functional and you like the look of.

As soon as someone said a car with different colour panels, the Polo was my first thought.

Return to “MTB General”