Alcohol & Cycling

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Headhuunter
Posts: 6334
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:16 am

Alcohol & Cycling

Postby Headhuunter » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:39 am

I was wondering about this whilst riding home after a couple fo drinks the other night. I wasn't totally hammered but I'd had a couple of beers. If you cycle after having a couple of drinks, does your body use the alcohol you have ingested like a fuel? Could a little alcohol help with performance? If your body is able to metabolise alcohol that you have recently ingested on a ride home, are you effectively reducing the chance of a heavy hangover the next day by burning off some of the alcohol in your system? Any thoughts?
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

User avatar
roger merriman
Posts: 5432
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 22:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby roger merriman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:43 am

Headhuunter wrote:I was wondering about this whilst riding home after a couple fo drinks the other night. I wasn't totally hammered but I'd had a couple of beers. If you cycle after having a couple of drinks, does your body use the alcohol you have ingested like a fuel? Could a little alcohol help with performance? If your body is able to metabolise alcohol that you have recently ingested on a ride home, are you effectively reducing the chance of a heavy hangover the next day by burning off some of the alcohol in your system? Any thoughts?


Used to go MTBing the day after, and the first hill would be awful but after that the hangover was gone.

Mind you was 20 years ago now....

User avatar
Cleat Eastwood
Posts: 7720
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 23:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby Cleat Eastwood » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:44 am

I always found that beer doesnt make me go faster - it just makes everything else seem to go slooooower. :D
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

kelsen
Posts: 1897
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby kelsen » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:53 am

Didn't they used to neck a bottle of wine every night after finishing a stage in the tour de france? Seemed to enhance the performance of those guys.

User avatar
team47b
Posts: 5295
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 18:39 pm

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby team47b » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:57 am

30% of the alcohol goes straight to produce fat regardless of how much you exercise.

There are about 15 grams of carbs in a pint so a couple of pints might keep you cycling for half an hour.

When you drink your liver can't provide glycogen as glucose for energy if needed as it is 'busy' clearing toxins so if you use up all your energy in your system you will bonk, best to eat a kebab with that beer! :D
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Headhuunter
Posts: 6334
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:16 am

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby Headhuunter » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:21 pm

team47b wrote:30% of the alcohol goes straight to produce fat regardless of how much you exercise.

There are about 15 grams of carbs in a pint so a couple of pints might keep you cycling for half an hour.

When you drink your liver can't provide glycogen as glucose for energy if needed as it is 'busy' clearing toxins so if you use up all your energy in your system you will bonk, best to eat a kebab with that beer! :D


Good answer... A scientific reason to have a kebab... I like it....
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

User avatar
davis
Posts: 2376
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 17:11 pm

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby davis » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:29 pm

team47b wrote:30% of the alcohol goes straight to produce fat regardless of how much you exercise.


Source?
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

User avatar
Kendal Black Drop
Posts: 654
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 20:59 pm

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby Kendal Black Drop » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:45 pm

One week I timed myself cycling home from a friends house (approx. 5 miles) after drinking different amounts of alcohol.

Sober: 20 mins
2 pints: 22 mins
4 pints: 24 mins
6 pints: 26 mins

Headhuunter
Posts: 6334
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:16 am

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby Headhuunter » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:59 pm

Kendal Black Drop wrote:One week I timed myself cycling home from a friends house (approx. 5 miles) after drinking different amounts of alcohol.

Sober: 20 mins
2 pints: 22 mins
4 pints: 24 mins
6 pints: 26 mins


Yes but pints are heavy.... Try it again after shots of neat vodka...
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

User avatar
meanredspider
Posts: 9943
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 15:24 pm

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby meanredspider » Fri Oct 05, 2012 13:08 pm

Kendal Black Drop wrote:One week I timed myself cycling home from a friends house (approx. 5 miles) after drinking different amounts of alcohol.

Sober: 20 mins
2 pints: 22 mins
4 pints: 24 mins
6 pints: 26 mins


It's the weaving about that means you travel further...
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

User avatar
UndercoverElephant
Posts: 5444
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 09:04 am

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby UndercoverElephant » Fri Oct 05, 2012 13:17 pm

Last time I cycled after beer (five pints or so?), my legs were crap. I felt like an average human on a bike.

I've never been so ashamed. :oops:

Gussio
Posts: 2405
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 10:04 am

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby Gussio » Fri Oct 05, 2012 13:21 pm

kelsen wrote:Didn't they used to neck a bottle of wine every night after finishing a stage in the tour de france? Seemed to enhance the performance of those guys.


Wine and brandy during stages was the norm. There are great stories (and photos) of domestiques raiding bars along the route of the Tour. Probably helped take the edge off the amphetamines.....

t4tomo
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 21:27 pm

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby t4tomo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 13:25 pm

Gussio wrote:
kelsen wrote:Didn't they used to neck a bottle of wine every night after finishing a stage in the tour de france? Seemed to enhance the performance of those guys.


Wine and brandy during stages was the norm. There are great stories (and photos) of domestiques raiding bars along the route of the Tour. Probably helped take the edge off the amphetamines.....


that was to kill the pain the legs were feeling wasn't it.
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

User avatar
team47b
Posts: 5295
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 18:39 pm

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby team47b » Fri Oct 05, 2012 13:40 pm

davis wrote:
team47b wrote:30% of the alcohol goes straight to produce fat regardless of how much you exercise.


Source?


you're right that was a bit misleading! :oops:

What I meant was alcohol hinders fat metabolism by around 30%, so if you drink the fat you already have is not so efficiently burnt, ie while the liver is busy metabolizing alcohol, it is unable to metabolize fat.
my isetta is a 300cc bike

User avatar
Cleat Eastwood
Posts: 7720
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 23:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby Cleat Eastwood » Fri Oct 05, 2012 13:54 pm

team47b wrote:
davis wrote:
team47b wrote:30% of the alcohol goes straight to produce fat regardless of how much you exercise.


Source?


you're right that was a bit misleading! :oops:

What I meant was alcohol hinders fat metabolism by around 30%, so if you drink the fat you already have is not so efficiently burnt, ie while the liver is busy metabolizing alcohol, it is unable to metabolize fat.


Sauce?

You know to go with the kebab. :D
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

User avatar
Il Principe
Posts: 10401
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 10:37 am

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby Il Principe » Fri Oct 05, 2012 13:55 pm

It feels faster, but Garmin says it's slower.

User avatar
Greg66 Tri v2.0
Posts: 6978
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:28 am

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby Greg66 Tri v2.0 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 14:04 pm

Headhuunter wrote:I was wondering about this whilst riding home after a couple fo drinks the other night. I wasn't totally hammered but I'd had a couple of beers. If you cycle after having a couple of drinks, does your body use the alcohol you have ingested like a fuel? Could a little alcohol help with performance? If your body is able to metabolise alcohol that you have recently ingested on a ride home, are you effectively reducing the chance of a heavy hangover the next day by burning off some of the alcohol in your system? Any thoughts?


A few years ago I rode home from work after a very heavy session that started at lunch, finished for me somewhere around 7 during the tag cocktail drinking phase, and was followed by me sleeping on the floor of my room at work for another 4 hours.

I was completely hammered when I woke up and got into my kit, so much so that I fell over a number of times. I realised pretty early on in the ride that I had embarked upon A Very Ill-Advised Undertaking.

About a mile from home I threw up all over the handlebars/wheel/my feet. I am still inordinately proud of the fact that not only did I not stop or slow down during this event, but I managed to maintain my pedal stroke uninterrupted. Small victories, etc...

There is no doubt in my mind that my head the next day was very considerably better off for having heaved my guts up.

On the other hand, the risk I ran of having ended up under a lorry during the ride home was unacceptably high. And my bike and shoes took a long time to recover.
Swim. Bike. Run. Yup, that's definitely what I'm supposed to be doing.

Bike 1
Bike 2
Bike 3

User avatar
walkingbootweather
Posts: 2348
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 13:07 pm

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby walkingbootweather » Fri Oct 05, 2012 14:15 pm

I'm fine with wine,
Whisky makes me frisky
Brandy makes me randy
Beer is best avoided.
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

User avatar
y33stu
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:33 am

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby y33stu » Fri Oct 05, 2012 14:30 pm

I find if I've had a couple of beers, I'm sober by the time I get home (7 miles or so). Any more and I still feel the effects although a little less.

Whats the deal on cycling over the drink drive limit anyways? any legal issues cycling on a bike path, or on the road?

User avatar
Kieran_Burns
Posts: 9834
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 13:14 pm

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby Kieran_Burns » Fri Oct 05, 2012 14:35 pm

y33stu wrote:I find if I've had a couple of beers, I'm sober by the time I get home (7 miles or so). Any more and I still feel the effects although a little less.

Whats the deal on cycling over the drink drive limit anyways? any legal issues cycling on a bike path, or on the road?


It's drunk and disorderly that you could be arrested for. There is no specific "riding while under the influence" law to be broken. Plus you can't be forced to provide ID.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter


Return to “Commuting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aberdeen_lune, hopkinb, Koncordski, pangolin, Solstice21, whatleytom and 8 guests