Alcohol & Cycling

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
y33stu

Re: Alcohol & Cycling

Postby y33stu » Fri Oct 05, 2012 15:10 pm

Seems fair enough. Guess I'll have another pint then before I ride home!

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Fri Oct 05, 2012 15:24 pm

I had a house party when I was younger which got broken up by the police.

All the police did was say to every single person "it's dangerous to ride drunk" as about 50 absolutely battered 18yr olds hopped onto bikes and cycled off into the night.

2 fell of and got properly bruised on the way home.

coriordan

Postby coriordan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 15:32 pm

I did the commute from Canary Wharf to Parsons Green last year. Its pretty hard when you're that pissed (I could barely walk) but I did make it home. The hardest bit was steering as you lose the precision when you're totally blotto so I kept weaving around in the road, crashing into the pavement a few times and falling off

walkingbootweather

Postby walkingbootweather » Fri Oct 05, 2012 15:34 pm

Went to the pub directly after my final 'A' level. Six pints later we naturally got on our bikes to ride home. Half a mile up the road one of my mates rode into the back of an ambulance. The lights were on and the doors were open as the paramedics were treating someone inside a house. Fortunately he was more embarassed than hurt, but illustrated that we were rather worse for wear than we had perhaps realised.
Last edited by walkingbootweather on Fri Oct 05, 2012 15:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

TheStone

Postby TheStone » Fri Oct 05, 2012 15:37 pm

I find whatever I drink (within reason), I feel totally sober within a few hundred yards of cycling.

Always quicker, but roads much quieter too.

Clever Pun

Postby Clever Pun » Fri Oct 05, 2012 15:43 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:I had a house party when I was younger which got broken up by the police.

All the police did was say to every single person "it's dangerous to ride drunk" as about 50 absolutely battered 18yr olds hopped onto bikes and cycled off into the night.

2 fell of and got properly bruised on the way home.

4% of cyclists agree drinking and cycling is bad
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

BelgianBeerGeek

Postby BelgianBeerGeek » Fri Oct 05, 2012 17:28 pm

I find that when I'm in the pub a little fairy has attached stabilisers and a wee engine to my bike. The way back is so much easier...
Once upon a time I rode out to a pub about 16 miles away with a mate, I had the worst hangover ever. Forced a couple of pints down and whipped his sorry ass on the way back. I did sleep about 16 hours that night, though.

Boy Lard

Postby Boy Lard » Fri Oct 05, 2012 17:39 pm

While I used to think it was ok to have a few pints and then ride home I no longer think so. That being said, I have/had a fairly serious problem with alcohol. Not that I drink often, but when I do I sometimes have huge blackouts and have even lost a whole 36 hour period once. This would be ok if I was inactive during this time, but often tis is far from the case.

Anyway, one time I remember leaving the pub, sort of. 4 Hours later I remember a crowd of concerned people checking to see if I was ok assuming I had been in a hit and run. Actually I fell off my bike going round a corner and just went to sleep where I fell.

I am currently trying to go TT, and that doesn't involve funny shaped bars and helmet.

merkin

Postby merkin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 18:30 pm

Good luck with that. Have you asked your GP for assistance?
(A rare serious post from me)

Gussio

Postby Gussio » Fri Oct 05, 2012 19:05 pm

merkin wrote:Good luck with that. Have you asked your GP for assistance?
(A rare serious post from me)

General Publican?

kiwimatt

Postby kiwimatt » Fri Oct 05, 2012 19:28 pm

Rather random worst occurance involved student Swedish New Year celebrations on schapps and beers in Amsterdam - and then cycling home at about 2am completely away with it. Rather safer cycling environment than the UK but still not clever. Other similar occurances involved slippery crashes over frozen canal bridges late at night in similar Amsterdam traffic free circumstances... Not something I'd consider nowadays - pint Friday lunchtime then commute home about as impaired as I'd consider safe in these parts

SteppenHerring

Postby SteppenHerring » Sat Oct 06, 2012 16:46 pm

Last time I rode a bike when I was really mashed, I went over the front of a car. A parked car. Not only that, but for some reason I'd done my toe straps up tight (it was that long ago) and was now upside down between two parked cars, strapped to the bike. Took me 10 minutes to escape. Then when I tried to get back on the bike, I kept falling off the other side. Pushed the bike home.
mroli wrote:(Michel) Roux has the scary eyes of an inner Begbie...

Mouth

Postby Mouth » Sun Oct 07, 2012 00:27 am

When I was about 18 or 19 my mates' parents were away, leading to the inevitable house party and its unintended mishaps - one of the lads passed out from too much juice and some bright spark decided to dunk his head upside down in the pond. Naturally he got dropped. Soon came round though.

After consuming two 1l bottles of Russia's finest I decided that a bottle of coke was in order from the petrol station a mile or so away. Didn't want to walk so took my bike and somehow managed to get back to the party whilst carrying one bottle in each hand on the handlebars. When I got back some of the guys were in the front garden and one enquired as to where I'd been. This led to me triumphantly lifting each hand from the bars and displaying my wares. Given that my feet were still in my toe clips and not on the ground you can imagine the flawless sideways collapse. I had a bruise the whole length of my shin for what seemed about 3 months. To make matters worse when I got home the next day I found my wallet in the kitchen. I can only assume I pinched the cokes.

Haven't cycled whilst under the influence (at least not to that extent) since.
The only disability in life is a poor attitude.

memsley89

Postby memsley89 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:41 pm

I've cycled the 10miles home after all my nights out for a good few years...
(the last train is at midnight and I hate buses, so it's my only option really)

Only ever been pulled up once by the rozzers,
and that was because there had been a burglary in the area and they were asking for witnesses!
Racing the 2016 season with Team ASL360
............... Big thanks to our sponsors ...............
............... Kinesis UK Reflex Nutrition ..............

Cafewanda

Postby Cafewanda » Mon Oct 08, 2012 13:06 pm

This thread really should be in LFGSS' rides and races :lol:

Return to “Commuting Chat”