Panniers for a Bob Jackson Frame

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Fell Runner

Panniers for a Bob Jackson Frame

Postby Fell Runner » Sat Oct 06, 2012 14:02 pm

Hi
Can anyone suggest a rear bike rack that I can use with my Bob Jackson bike preferably the QL mounting system.

I am looking to commute to work

Thanks in advance
Ian

Mercia Man

Re: Panniers for a Bob Jackson Frame

Postby Mercia Man » Sat Oct 06, 2012 15:25 pm

I'd use a Carradice saddlebag with a Bagman q/r mounting frame. If you get a big saddlebag, such as Camper Longflap, you should easily be able to carry all you need for commuting.

It is possible to fit a standard carrier rack, such as a Blackburn, using P clips onto the seatstays and then you could use panniers. Another possibility is a beam rack (I think Topeak do one) which clamps onto the seatpost. But I still think a saddlebag would be best.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sat Oct 06, 2012 16:03 pm

Super Record to commute to work? :shock:
Seems a bit of a waste, I am sorry to say, but that group set in the 80s did cost more than you could afford to pay now... you are looking at 3-4 K worth of bike, in today's money... If the frame was originally built with SR, it was probably a top of the range lightweight... have a look at the auctions for SR components on Ebay...

As a retro lover I have to give you a hard time on this... :twisted:

Fell Runner

Postby Fell Runner » Sat Oct 06, 2012 20:52 pm

Thank you both for your comments

Mercia Man for the pannier advice, will investigate and ugo.santalucia for your opinion in which I agree 100% . The bike was hand build by my father back in the late 80s and was left to me 12 years ago and has seen little very little riding since fully equip with Campagnolo groupset, I am just looking for a winter solution as I have purchase a carbon bike for weekend riding.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sat Oct 06, 2012 20:59 pm

Fell Runner wrote:Thank you both for your comments

Mercia Man for the pannier advice, will investigate and ugo.santalucia for your opinion in which I agree 100% . The bike was hand build by my father back in the late 80s and was left to me 12 years ago and has seen little very little riding since fully equip with Campagnolo groupset, I am just looking for a winter solution as I have purchase a carbon bike for weekend riding.

Ride the plastic bike to work and keep this one for the sunny days... Seriously... What do you have on the plastic bike? 105... Ultegra, centaur, red, force... They don't compare with SR... That derailleur has titanium bolts and weighs 190 grams... It is an amazing feat of engineering... It is a keeper...maybe just needs faster wheels... Mavic 501 hubs of some light fast rim

Return to “Road Buying Advice”