Helmet and trouser suggestions for wet weather?

Here is the place to post the more serious issues surrounding commuting, bike and kit questions, and buying advice
geebus

Helmet and trouser suggestions for wet weather?

Postby geebus » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:36 am

I've decided I don't mind riding in the rain that much really.
However, I'd prefer not to get TOO soaked.

Unfortunately I'm on a bit of a budget - is there anything for not silly money that will do better than a standard cheap pair of waterproof trousers as far as stopping me getting soaked from the inside?

I really should wear a helmet more too - rarely do on the road. Current choice of helmets is a £6.25 one from Sainsburys (ok, it was half price) that's maybe 4 years old, or a 25+ year old one from freecycle that looks like a toaster. Looking at pics from the last mtb event I did, even the newer one looks distinctly chunky etc.
So if I had a helmet that kept my head warmish and dry, might wear it more!

prawny

Re: Helmet and trouser suggestions for wet weather?

Postby prawny » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:31 pm

Any helmet that fits! Go to a shop and try a few on get one that is cheap and comfy and looks ok.

Trousers wise, Lycra up and get wet. All waterproofs will make you sweaty on a buget. You could try rain legs I suppose but I just get wet and it's fine, just keep warm and dry off when you get there.
Saracen Dirttrax Disc
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015
Voodoo Bizango - 2014

Daddy0

Postby Daddy0 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 14:49 pm

Helmet wise I recently bought an Abus helmet with red LED light on it for £35 from the LBS. Thats quite a bit more than the £6.25, but not a lot for a new helmet from a shop. It was the only helmet under £50 that wasn't too dorky looking. Its not going to keep you dry or warm though, but I don't think you really want a helmet to insulate you, if you're cold then just wear a hat underneath it. Too much insulation on your head will be uncomfortable unless its very very cold outside, and then it probably wont keep you warm enough.

geebus

Postby geebus » Fri Oct 05, 2012 14:53 pm

I'm lycra-adverse, but happy riding in whatever trousers I happen to be in.

Should note that my actual 'commute' is about a mile, but also like to use it for saying going indoor rock climbing (maybe 15 miles away), as well as shopping etc.

I was more thinking keeping the rain off for the helmet - though my beanie does a decent enough job so far, just needs to be dried out after!

prawny

Postby prawny » Fri Oct 05, 2012 15:38 pm

For keeping the rain off your bonce

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/product/32469 ... ure_II_Cap

Jobs a goodun.
Saracen Dirttrax Disc
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015
Voodoo Bizango - 2014

Peio333

Postby Peio333 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 19:56 pm

I would suggest you to check in TKMAXX. I have found really good stuff there to fully waterproof myself for a fraction of the price. In Scotland we have the problems with the cold weather the rain and the wind. With what I got from TKMAXX the only thing that gets wet (no matter the weather) are my glasses.

geebus

Postby geebus » Sat Oct 06, 2012 23:08 pm

I was in Blazing Saddles in Hebden bridge earlier (cheekily using their pump as my tyres were a little soft to avoid a petrol station - cheers guys) and noticed they had 3/4 length waterproof trousers.
Wondered if this made it a bit more 'breathable' without letting too much water through etc, even if wearing trousers - tend to be wearing army boots at work.

Cap's a good idea, though a bit much cash right now.

What about helmet covers for bike helmets? Seems it'll still be 'breathable' as there'll be airflow under the helmet.

Godders1

Postby Godders1 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 08:34 am

I couldn't wear them on the bike myself but type "raf goretex trousers" into ebay (you'll need clips as they're baggy at the bottom).

geebus

Postby geebus » Sun Oct 07, 2012 23:51 pm

Ta - don't have any trousers that aren't 'baggy' really, so no issue for me :).

combatsapph

Postby combatsapph » Tue Oct 09, 2012 09:52 am

Search ebay for Army surplus gore-tex. I got a brand new pair of RAF gore-tex trousers for £14.68 in an unoffensive blue. I had reservations about the quality but once I got them I soon realised they were well up there with any £120 of gore-tex trousers you'll seen in a mountain equipment shop.

Example.

wilo13

Postby wilo13 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 22:32 pm

Geebus, I use a Gore helmet cover made of their performance shell and it works great but it is £30 quid. For trousers check out the Ronhill tracksters on wiggle. They are an athletic fit but not skin tight like lycra. They are water resistant and work well in showers and are very breathable. They can be had on wiggle for £20 and I wear them most days over my lycra cycling shorts when its a tad chilly.
Carrot cake or Flapjack?

geebus

Postby geebus » Tue Oct 16, 2012 14:27 pm

Got a wiggle £15 voucher (should have two, must look in to that), so weill have a look), otherwise do like the idea of the Army surplus ones for 'cheap' :).

Cheers for the suggestions.

Return to “Commuting General”