different wheels

Sorting out your thrunge brackets, fettling your inter-rositers and even stuff about bike parts.
ccrdave

different wheels

Postby ccrdave » Sat Oct 06, 2012 16:24 pm

Hi everybody I am new here and after a little bit of advice. I have a hardtail which I use for light offroading and a cube stereo for the good stuff.
I would like to do some road riding but before I get carried away with another bike I thought I could fit a set of 700c wheel to my hardtail and do some road work, so I measured up and it turns out that the 700c wheels and tyres are only about an inch and a half bigger in diameter than my 26inch wheels fitted with slicks on so is it worth it or am I missing something?

thanks

Dave

nicklouse
Lives Here

Re: different wheels

Postby nicklouse » Sat Oct 06, 2012 16:32 pm

sure you can but you will need to get a set built on disc hubs and the get spare rotors and a cassette.

then add tubes and tyres and you are at the cost o9f a cheap or used road bike.

without the hassle of setting up the brakes and gears each time you swap over.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Sat Oct 06, 2012 16:34 pm

What brakes on the hardtail, rim brakes won't match to the rims, disc 700c wheels are rare as hens teeth or pricey, why not just fit slicks to the 26" wheels?

ccrdave

Postby ccrdave » Sat Oct 06, 2012 16:45 pm

well I thought about a cheap set of 700c from halfrauds, about £80 for the pair, they are disc ready ( I have avid juicy 3's on the hardtail) and will take a 9sp cassette, I looked at them today and they are a little heavy but quite strong with good hubs. With tyres they will come out at under a 100 quid.
I have fitted slicks to my 26inch wheels but the diameter is low (about 25inches) I was hoping the 700c would give a bigger diameter with slicks and they do but is 1.5 inches going to make much difference?

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Sat Oct 06, 2012 17:04 pm

Not much, less difference than running one gear higher......

I would think the wheels are for a Carrera Gryphon (formula made), ironically I run my Gryphon on 26" wheels!

ccrdave

Postby ccrdave » Sat Oct 06, 2012 17:27 pm

The Beginner wrote:Not much, less difference than running one gear higher......

I would think the wheels are for a Carrera Gryphon (formula made), ironically I run my Gryphon on 26" wheels!

yes that makes sense

thank you

njee20

Postby njee20 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 18:54 pm

With tyres they will come out at under a 100 quid.

£20 for tyres and tubes? They'll be crap! That still ignores rotors and cassette. Another £50 easily.

Save up a bit more and get a second hand road bike, riding an MTB on the road is horrible IMO!

ccrdave

Postby ccrdave » Sat Oct 06, 2012 19:36 pm

yeah I was taking in to account all the other bits I already have.
thanks anyway

bikaholic

Postby bikaholic » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:12 am

700c bits on a 26er frame for commuting purposes:

If you are not averse to recycling what other people throw away (ie I mean skip diving), then 700c disc wheels can be had for little to almost no money if you have some wheel building skills and some lacing pattern knowledge.

I regularly encounter tacco'd 26" disc wheels and broken road wheels - those two make the perfect donors for custom 700c disc wheels. If the combination is right, then the only cost will be elbow grease.

ccrdave

Postby ccrdave » Sun Oct 07, 2012 13:09 pm

Thats a really nice bike, I think thats what I am going to achieve

thanks for your help

ccrdave

Postby ccrdave » Sun Oct 07, 2012 13:14 pm

Ok so here another question 700c rims are the same size as mtb 29ers right? so would I be better of getting 29 inch mtb wheels and putting slicks on for the road and would they fit in my 26 inch frame with low tyres on?

just trying to get the best without a shed full of bikes!!

sorry for the dumb questions but I need to learn

cheers

supersonic
Lives Here

Postby supersonic » Sun Oct 07, 2012 13:25 pm

Yes, 622mm diameter, but the width can be a lot different. They should fit your frame with low profile tyres.

But I don't swap wheels with my own bikes. Unless you shim one of the discs they usually need readjusting, and often the gears need tuning too (though you can sometimes make minor adjustments to the hub). Often quicker to just change tyres! Though the bigger wheels will up the gearing compared to a 26 wheel with the same profile tyres.

chez_m356

Postby chez_m356 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 13:32 pm

ccrdave wrote:Ok so here another question 700c rims are the same size as mtb 29ers right? so would I be better of getting 29 inch mtb wheels and putting slicks on for the road and would they fit in my 26 inch frame with low tyres on?

out of interest what fork is on the bike ? is it a rigid or a suspension fork ? just wondered as their seems to be a bit of a difference between the forks when they are designed for different size wheels
Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011

ccrdave

Postby ccrdave » Sun Oct 07, 2012 14:09 pm

my fork is very similar to the middle one in the pic. mine measures from the dropout to just under the crown 17inches so I reckon a 29er will fit that easy its the back thats going to be tight but I can get a 700c in with a 25 tyre

ccrdave

Postby ccrdave » Sun Oct 07, 2012 14:17 pm

supersonic wrote:Yes, 622mm diameter, but the width can be a lot different. They should fit your frame with low profile tyres.

But I don't swap wheels with my own bikes. Unless you shim one of the discs they usually need readjusting, and often the gears need tuning too (though you can sometimes make minor adjustments to the hub). Often quicker to just change tyres! Though the bigger wheels will up the gearing compared to a 26 wheel with the same profile tyres.

yes thats what I was thinking about using 29ers just change tyres. I would get the best of both worlds then with one set of wheels.

you say up the gearing but I have not got my head around which way it will go, does it mean with bigger wheels the overall gearing will be lower so I could run out of cogs with slicks on the road? and conversely with slicks on my 26 inch wheels (diameter with tyre 25 inches) the gearing will be higher?
confused :?

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Sun Oct 07, 2012 14:26 pm

No it will be higher. More distance travelled for a turn of the cranks.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

ccrdave

Postby ccrdave » Sun Oct 07, 2012 17:18 pm

ok one last question and I will shut up as Im sure your all bored with this now.
given the choice would I be better off buying 29ers or 700c? I can get both wheelsets for about the same price and im pretty certain with low profile tyres both wheelsets will fit

thanks
Last edited by ccrdave on Sun Oct 07, 2012 17:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Sun Oct 07, 2012 17:19 pm

chez_m356 wrote:
ccrdave wrote:Ok so here another question 700c rims are the same size as mtb 29ers right? so would I be better of getting 29 inch mtb wheels and putting slicks on for the road and would they fit in my 26 inch frame with low tyres on?

out of interest what fork is on the bike ? is it a rigid or a suspension fork ? just wondered as their seems to be a bit of a difference between the forks when they are designed for different size wheels

they are differing heights due to the fork that came off the bike. a frame designed around 80mm travel fork will need a different length of fork than a frame designed around a 120mm fork.
there is also a difference in the trail on a fork for a 29er and a 26" bike.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Sun Oct 07, 2012 17:20 pm

ccrdave wrote:ok one last question and I will shut as Im sure your all bored with this now.
given the choice would I be better off buying 29ers or 700c? I can get both wheelsets for about the same price and im pretty certain with low profile tyres both wheelsets will fit

thanks

does not matter, hub width and rim width is what matters as the size is the same. and that comes down to the frame and the tyres.

ccrdave

Postby ccrdave » Sun Oct 07, 2012 17:28 pm

nicklouse wrote:
chez_m356 wrote:

they are differing heights due to the fork that came off the bike. a frame designed around 80mm travel fork will need a different length of fork than a frame designed around a 120mm fork.
there is also a difference in the trail on a fork for a 29er and a 26" bike.

Yes I realise the geometry could be a bit "off" my frame will take a 100mm - 120mm fork. I have a 100m equivalent rigid fork and the bike runs fine on that with 26 inch wheels and very big tyres which will not be too far away from a 29er with a slick. Also it has massive clearance so im wondering if its meant for 29ers anyway
But I guess the only way im gonna find out is do it right!

cheers

Return to “MTB Workshop & Tech”