Pat McQuaid

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms

Pat McQuaid How long do you think he will still be in his job ?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 06, 2012 08:18 am

Two Weeks
2
11%
Three Weeks
0
No votes
One month
1
5%
Till Christmas
16
84%
 
Total votes: 19

Richmond Racer
Posts: 8475
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 17:11 pm

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:57 pm

the thing is that if we're talking cover-ups pre-2006, his excuse would be that Verbruggen was then President...

User avatar
Nick Fitt
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 09:38 am

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby Nick Fitt » Wed Oct 03, 2012 13:13 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:the thing is that if we're talking cover-ups pre-2006, his excuse would be that Verbruggen was then President...

Exactly right Id say. I imagine there are many places to drive the UCI truck through the evidence. Trouble is they have to see it before they can decide which one to go through. They will get away with it though of that I am sure. Unfortunately, its probably better for the sport (which is their ultimate responsibility ironically) if they do get away with it and it is covered up and forgotten once and for all. LA is gone, the books have been written, it is time for all to move on isnt it?

User avatar
iainf72
Posts: 15162
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby iainf72 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 18:59 pm

It seems Mr Richard Pound doesn't think Pat should have to go.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12997 ... -more.aspx

Or that there should be an independent testing body....
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Ms Tree
Posts: 1395
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 20:48 pm

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby Ms Tree » Sat Oct 06, 2012 18:12 pm

Like Sepp Blatter and the 'young Mr Grace' that used to be at the IoC, you'll have to take a tyre lever to winkle Pat out.
'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
Neil Gaiman

mroli
Posts: 3443
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 15:09 pm

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby mroli » Sat Oct 06, 2012 19:26 pm

You couldn't do it with your thumbs and a bit of talc?

User avatar
RichN95
Posts: 15981
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 00:36 am

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby RichN95 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 23:49 pm

There are a lot of people who are clamouring to get rid of McQuaid. If you are, then ask yourself one question. If he quits, then who takes over?

Do you think it will be:

a) A idealistic choice like Kimmage, LeMond or Millar. A boneheaded idea on the intellectual level of saying Simon Cowell should be Prime Minitster

b) Someone from the outside or from cycling's past - Bob Stapleton, Sylvia Schenk - people who have moved on. The best choice - but it won't and can't happen.

c) Verbruggen/McQuaid's choice of a successor - probably Brian Cookson from British Cycling - he holds Pat's old job.

d) Igor Makarov. Head of Russian cycling, UCI management delegate, funder of three teams, billionaire oligarch. A man who will do anything it takes to make cycling Russia's plaything. Do you trust this man more than McQuaid?

So who who is it to be? No question. It will be Makarov, or his puppet (Tchmil). Don't do what Bush did in Iraq and get rid of the leader and then not know what to do next.
Twitter: @RichN95

ContrelaMontre
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 16:55 pm

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby ContrelaMontre » Sun Oct 07, 2012 08:27 am

I would love to see ASO form a breakaway outwith the auspices of the UCI. I'm sure its gonna kick off after USADA publish their report.
--------
Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster

User avatar
Jez mon
Posts: 2557
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 15:07 pm

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby Jez mon » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:32 am

RichN95 wrote:There are a lot of people who are clamouring to get rid of McQuaid. If you are, then ask yourself one question. If he quits, then who takes over?

Do you think it will be:

a) A idealistic choice like Kimmage, LeMond or Millar. A boneheaded idea on the intellectual level of saying Simon Cowell should be Prime Minitster

b) Someone from the outside or from cycling's past - Bob Stapleton, Sylvia Schenk - people who have moved on. The best choice - but it won't and can't happen.

c) Verbruggen/McQuaid's choice of a successor - probably Brian Cookson from British Cycling - he holds Pat's old job.

d) Igor Makarov. Head of Russian cycling, UCI management delegate, funder of three teams, billionaire oligarch. A man who will do anything it takes to make cycling Russia's plaything. Do you trust this man more than McQuaid?

So who who is it to be? No question. It will be Makarov, or his puppet (Tchmil). Don't do what Bush did in Iraq and get rid of the leader and then not know what to do next.


Agreed, option B is best every time, someone with the requisite skills/experience, but who isn't tainted by already being fairly high up within the UCI. I guess this would be akin to a company flying in a well regarded CEO from a different company when things have gone wrong.

However, there doesn't seem to be a mechanism for allowing/forcing this to happen.

Possibly next best thing to happen would be a breakaway group?
You live and learn. At any rate, you live
Twitter

User avatar
iainf72
Posts: 15162
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby iainf72 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:52 am

I'm not sure I understand why a break away group would help matters at all?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Abdoujaparov
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 13:13 pm

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby Abdoujaparov » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:59 am

RichN95 wrote:There are a lot of people who are clamouring to get rid of McQuaid. If you are, then ask yourself one question. If he quits, then who takes over?

Do you think it will be:

a) A idealistic choice like Kimmage, LeMond or Millar. A boneheaded idea on the intellectual level of saying Simon Cowell should be Prime Minitster

b) Someone from the outside or from cycling's past - Bob Stapleton, Sylvia Schenk - people who have moved on. The best choice - but it won't and can't happen.

c) Verbruggen/McQuaid's choice of a successor - probably Brian Cookson from British Cycling - he holds Pat's old job.

d) Igor Makarov. Head of Russian cycling, UCI management delegate, funder of three teams, billionaire oligarch. A man who will do anything it takes to make cycling Russia's plaything. Do you trust this man more than McQuaid?

So who who is it to be? No question. It will be Makarov, or his puppet (Tchmil). Don't do what Bush did in Iraq and get rid of the leader and then not know what to do next.


I'm in no doubt that McQuaid should stay as things currently stand, but surely it seems a little early to be making this judgement! Let's see what the next few weeks and months bring.

User avatar
ThomThom
Posts: 3481
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 19:25 pm

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby ThomThom » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:26 pm

Of course he shouldn't stay as things currently stand. I know the alternatives aren't that great either but there's no acceptable way you can be in charge of anything with the behaviour that drunk fool and his even drunker mate have shown in the last years.

Get rid.

Abdoujaparov
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 13:13 pm

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby Abdoujaparov » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:43 pm

ThomThom wrote:Of course he shouldn't stay as things currently stand. I know the alternatives aren't that great either but there's no acceptable way you can be in charge of anything with the behaviour that drunk fool and his even drunker mate have shown in the last years.

Get rid.


We need a bit more evidence first - which is hopefully just round the corner. Then the outcry for his successor to clean up the UCI would be stronger and make it less likely that Tchmil would replace him.

User avatar
iainf72
Posts: 15162
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby iainf72 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:50 pm

Aside from being bad at communicating, what has McQuaid done that's so terrible which would make anyone else a better choice?

Hein I have no time for, but McQuaid inherited a lot of crap from when he was in charge.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

andrewjoseph
Posts: 2152
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:56 pm

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby andrewjoseph » Sun Oct 07, 2012 13:10 pm

iainf72 wrote:Aside from being bad at communicating, what has McQuaid done that's so terrible which would make anyone else a better choice?
...


He sued Floyd for calling him a clown. Now Floyd can't call Pat a clown anymore. That's more than enough in my book!

It's also a shame that Floyd can't state that 'Hein is full of shoot'. It's a terribly unjust world.

:wink: :wink:

Apart from that, Pat has been involved in the cover up of bad blood results, possibly armstrong's and definitely contador.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails

User avatar
ThomThom
Posts: 3481
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 19:25 pm

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby ThomThom » Sun Oct 07, 2012 13:53 pm

iainf72 wrote:Aside from being bad at communicating, what has McQuaid done that's so terrible which would make anyone else a better choice?


Nah, nothing serious.. Just a bit of covering up dopers here and there, making money on being corrupt, suing people that have/are doing only good for the sport...

Where have you been in the last, say, 2 months?

User avatar
iainf72
Posts: 15162
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby iainf72 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 14:26 pm

Pat does need to be replaced but until you've got a decent succession plan in place, it's foolish just to boot him out or you'll end up with someone worse.

Whoever replaces him with have to deal with the same system that McQuaid has to deal with. So if you get a big name positive or passport, you'll have the lawyers and finance people telling you to not pursue it. You'll have a shrinking budget, races disappearing, top end of the sport having trouble attracting sponsors, all the other disciplines needing dealing with

Rich is right - if you rush it, you will end up with someone worse in charge.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

User avatar
Jez mon
Posts: 2557
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 15:07 pm

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby Jez mon » Sun Oct 07, 2012 14:40 pm

iainf72 wrote:Pat does need to be replaced but until you've got a decent succession plan in place, it's foolish just to boot him out or you'll end up with someone worse.

Whoever replaces him with have to deal with the same system that McQuaid has to deal with. So if you get a big name positive or passport, you'll have the lawyers and finance people telling you to not pursue it. You'll have a shrinking budget, races disappearing, top end of the sport having trouble attracting sponsors, all the other disciplines needing dealing with

Rich is right - if you rush it, you will end up with someone worse in charge.


If you have a breakaway group, you bypass the current system to chose a replacement, and the issue of all the other disciplines which IMO would be a clear benefit. With pro cycling, you're always going to get a fight between one hand wanting a clean sport and dopers to be caught, and the other wanting an apparently clean sport, completely free from scandal. However, perhaps a breakaway group could get the balance a bit better.

Of course, a breakaway group does introduce a whole load of other problems and whether it would result in a overall benefit isn't clear.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live
Twitter

User avatar
ThomThom
Posts: 3481
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 19:25 pm

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby ThomThom » Sun Oct 07, 2012 14:48 pm

iainf72 wrote:Pat does need to be replaced but until you've got a decent succession plan in place. Whoever replaces him with have to deal with the same system that McQuaid has to deal with. So if you get a big name positive or passport, you'll have the lawyers and finance people telling you to not pursue it. You'll have a shrinking budget, races disappearing, top end of the sport having trouble attracting sponsors, all the


The thing is.. As long as he is in charge there won't be any 'decent succession plan in place'.

It can't get any worse than it is. McQuaid didn't have a system 'to deal with'. He created that system all by himself. True, races a disappearing - but what did you expect when places like China and Qatar, which give f*ck all about cycling, are - funnily enough - getting all the attention and resources while traditional races with great fan bases are screaming for help.

A man who should be in jail at the moment shouldn't be running the show. It's that simple.

User avatar
iainf72
Posts: 15162
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby iainf72 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 15:03 pm

Perhaps you should write to the ASO and ask them why they're supporting a race in Qatar then? McQuaid didn't create the system

If Makarov was in charge it would be a lot worse.

And if you suddenly created a void at the top, it wil be filled by something bad. This is a sport where people are in Monaco celebrating Vino at the moment. People like Froome and Gibert - cycling has a long way to go.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

User avatar
ThomThom
Posts: 3481
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 19:25 pm

Re: Pat McQuaid

Postby ThomThom » Sun Oct 07, 2012 15:32 pm

iainf72 wrote:Perhaps you should write to the ASO and ask them why they're supporting a race in Qatar then? McQuaid didn't create the system


Eh, Qatar has been given the WC in 2016. A race which is promoted by UCI.

iainf72 wrote:This is a sport where people are in Monaco celebrating Vino at the moment. People like Froome and Gibert - cycling has a long way to go.


I don't get it. You were the one stating that Pat really hadn't done anything wrong - I would consider that being in same category as the people celebrating Vinokourov.


Return to “Pro Race”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bobmcstuff, mycool, Tom M and 12 guests