Next flippin' April???

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
garethjohn

Next flippin' April???

Postby garethjohn » Sun Oct 07, 2012 09:04 am

So after having the go ahead from my insurance I placed an order with Wheelies for a CAAD 10 to replace a Caad9. Have since received a message informing me that it won't be available until April next year! So now I either wait until next spring or choose an alternative. Been riding Cannondale for a while now so I was pretty much set on this ------

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p56413/Cannon ... -Bike.aspx

Another option would be to use the money for accessory replacements towards a better bike at around £1900. Open to suggestions, what would you do?

I have a hybrid for hacking to work over winter so I can afford to wait a while.

jonny1967

Re: Next flippin' April???

Postby jonny1967 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:23 am

They get the 2013 supersix in next month, can you not convince your insurance to replace with one of them? Mine did, then wont then will then wont. I hate insurance companies btw

sungod

Postby sungod » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:05 pm

if you can find the bike elsewhere, tell the insurance company that they need to get it there or give you the money

if your policy doesn't oblige you to accept the insurer's chosen supplier (and it probably doesn't) then you are not required to use wheelies

my insurer sent me to wheelies, after some calls and emails they could not supply some items and clearly had no idea about the bike, i explained to the insurer why i was not happy and they just gave me the money
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

giant man

Postby giant man » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:55 pm

I'm pretty sure you can get one elsewhere sooner, surely?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finding the right saddle is the holy grail for the cyclist, good luck, it may take some time .....

mfin

Postby mfin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 14:21 pm

sungod wrote:if you can find the bike elsewhere, tell the insurance company that they need to get it there or give you the money

if your policy doesn't oblige you to accept the insurer's chosen supplier (and it probably doesn't) then you are not required to use wheelies

The policy is to replace like for like usually, so if you cant get that through that supplier they must use another supplier that you can point them at or just give you the money.

I had the money when I claimed. Just get the money and do the shopping yourself... or if they say you'll have to wait then tell them you'll want to hire a bike until it arrives and they'll have to pay for that.... it doesn't matter much what you say, but you should always be able to get the money in form of a cheque to you.

arlowood

Postby arlowood » Sun Oct 07, 2012 14:50 pm

mfin wrote:I had the money when I claimed. Just get the money and do the shopping yourself... or if they say you'll have to wait then tell them you'll want to hire a bike until it arrives and they'll have to pay for that.... it doesn't matter much what you say, but you should always be able to get the money in form of a cheque to you.

Might not be as easy as you suggest. Some insurers have agreements with certain suppliers and if you ask for cash instead you may be forced to take a discount on the claim offer to reflective the discount the insurer has agreed with that supplier.

However the more niche your bike is, the less likely you are to be able to get it from the insurer's preferred shop. In that case you could argue that they should send you the full claim value so that you can source the bike elsewhere.

mfin

Postby mfin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 17:06 pm

arlowood wrote:
mfin wrote:I had the money when I claimed. Just get the money and do the shopping yourself... or if they say you'll have to wait then tell them you'll want to hire a bike until it arrives and they'll have to pay for that.... it doesn't matter much what you say, but you should always be able to get the money in form of a cheque to you.

Might not be as easy as you suggest. Some insurers have agreements with certain suppliers and if you ask for cash instead you may be forced to take a discount on the claim offer to reflective the discount the insurer has agreed with that supplier.

However the more niche your bike is, the less likely you are to be able to get it from the insurer's preferred shop. In that case you could argue that they should send you the full claim value so that you can source the bike elsewhere.

Yep, I know. A friend had a similar situation, and by pointing out it was not like for like got it sorted to get it supplied from elsewhere or get the money, and the second it was a 'away from preferred suppliers' then got the money instead.

They've agreed already to replace the bike, so it won't be a problem, its how you deal with it to get it sorted, some people are no good at levering this, but its completely possible... think about it, its not your the person who's claiming's fault that their supplier cant supply the right bike, but the person claiming has already had agreement on getting it replaced... Ive done it twice with car claims too to get the money myself for the quotes given for the repairs.

You dont have to accept any discount. Cos the discount is irrelevant if they cant get you 'like for like' from their supplier. Just provide quotes of it from places you CAN get it from first and expect every last penny of that quote and keep communicating with them, it works.

notnot

Postby notnot » Sun Oct 07, 2012 18:12 pm

Insurance companies can be horrendous. To be fair, though, in this case they've agreed to replace the bike and you've only just found out that they're preferred supplier (I presume) is out of stock. I'd certainly argue that waiting till April isn't reasonable, so your best bet would be to politely go back to the insurer and see what they suggest. Think about what options you would be happy to accept. This could be:
- A better replacement bike from the preferred supplier.
- A like-for-like replacement from another supplier (or the cost of buying this replacement from another supplier).
- Waiting till April for the new bike but getting a loan of a bike (or some money) to see you through the delay.

I'd be nice to the insurer and see what they suggest, even if you've already researched the likely options (when a laptop of mine was a write-off and no longer available, my insurer suggested a far better replacement than I'd have asked for :) ). Be assertive - don't be pushed into accepting something you don't want - and it's possible you'll need to fight to get an acceptable outcome, but equally your insurer could turn out to be very helpful - being positive now may increase the odds of a better outcome.

Winton

Postby Winton » Sun Oct 07, 2012 21:37 pm

What size CAAD10 are they having issues supplying for you?

garethjohn

Postby garethjohn » Sun Oct 07, 2012 22:10 pm

56. The conversation with the manager guy went something like Cannondale are having issues with the CAAD10 frame regarding safety so they are delaying availability. Probably more to do with the wiggo effect if u ask me.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”