The official TrainerRoad thread

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
dw300

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby dw300 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 20:29 pm

Nope!
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

MarkP80

Postby MarkP80 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 21:35 pm

It does ask questions.. I think you know now , only to be done with fresh legs

- put it this way, it convinced me I don't need to do a retest yet! :roll:

MarkP
Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Fri Oct 05, 2012 03:32 am

Dubcat wrote:Sod it - i will hold off until the morning and do a 1hr test. Do I have to be online when using trainerroad? Hope not - can't get wifi out in the garage :(

** I noticed that you can use it without being offline. Cool! **

Only needs a connection once a month to validate the licence. Or upload WO/s to facebook

NatePearson

Postby NatePearson » Fri Oct 05, 2012 15:43 pm

dw300 wrote:I should have said that you'll get pretty fast improvement at the start, as you get your body used to geting near its current potential.

I'd say that testing at 6-8 weeks intervals seems good to me. Not sure what the suggestions are, but it's perfectly possible that after your first few weeks that you've improved enough that you aren't doing the workouts at the right intensity. So maybe every 6 weeks until you start to only raise you FTP by single figures, then do it less often?

Perhaps more long term trainers have some advice on that.

I've been using TR for 9 weeks in which time I tested on week 1, 3 and 9, with FTP of 172, 212, 233. I adjusted position between the 1st and 2nd test, as well as having better pacing, which was also an improvement between 2nd and 3rd. Some of it was fitness too hopefully! ;)

Anyway .. if you have a goal in the back of your head (relatively short term and achievable) that'll help you with the training too.

Yes, excellent point! You can totally tweak your FTP between tests. And as you say, beginners can see a BIG bump in FTP pretty fast. Check out this post about when to raise your FTP: http://support.trainerroad.com/entries/ ... ise-my-ftp

ChrisSA

Postby ChrisSA » Fri Oct 05, 2012 21:41 pm

My schedule got messed up this week, so did the first weekly turbo session (Thunderbolt) on Wed. Tried Langley yesterday and gave up at 23 minutes. Couldn't hit the power target. Last week it was hard but just about doable.

Reading Messers Coggan and Allen yesterday evening they suggest a good recovery between FTP workouts. I may swap Langley for Monitor. It's all about FTP for me, as I'm using this to train for 10mi/25mi TTs and sprint/std distance triathlons. Saturdays are for longer pack rides.

dw300

Postby dw300 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 01:53 am

NatePearson wrote:Yes, excellent point! You can totally tweak your FTP between tests. And as you say, beginners can see a BIG bump in FTP pretty fast. Check out this post about when to raise your FTP: http://support.trainerroad.com/entries/ ... ise-my-ftp

Cool .. i think I'd read that before actually, that's probably where I remembered 6-8 weeks from. By the way, there's a typo on that page .. 2nd line, should be 'explanation'.

I did this workout today guys .. just experimenting with something different .. Peavine

I did the workout near midnight, wanted something about an hour long, but not too intense or with high TSS, as i may well be out on the road tomorrow. So I used the TrainerRoad Rides page to filter the rides .. I do this pretty much every time actually.

Anyway, the workout is basically 3 sets of 3x3mins. The first interval of the set in done at 70-80rpm, the 2nd at 60-70, and the 3rd at 50-60 .. with the target power going up in each. I ended up in 50*17 for the 1st interval, 50*14 for the 2nd, and 50*12 (my top gear) for the 3rd. It designed to test your muscles and connective tissues.

There's also a one legged bit just after the warm up which I feel my entry level road bike doesn't help me with much due to its cheap rear hub .. I've got a big neutral bit at the top of each stroke .. there was a lot of clunking! I also felt like I tweaked my right hamstring a little doing this with a low cadence and big resistance, so perform with care. It's fine now though. Also, there are instructions in this workout.

One thing this workout did give me when I was turning the big gear was that I found a great TT position, sat right on the rivet, elbows on the bars, as you can see from the final interval of the final set I got plenty more power with not that much more perceived effort. Working out on a trainer is a great opportunity to experiment, i think that's why I like it so much. Now I need to get some clip on bars so I can take it out on the road.
Bike Radar Strava Club

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Sun Oct 07, 2012 15:09 pm

Has anyone flipped for workouts between FTP and LTHR?
Does it cause any issues?
There are times when I cant use virtual power and want to have a workout logged whilst wearing my Garmin HR.

twotyred

Postby twotyred » Sun Oct 07, 2012 17:40 pm

I'm running TrainerRoad on a laptop and need a stand to hold the laptop within eyeshot. Are any of you guys using laptops and if so what arrangements are you using to keep them around eye level?

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Sun Oct 07, 2012 17:48 pm

twotyred wrote:I'm running TrainerRoad on a laptop and need a stand to hold the laptop within eyeshot. Are any of you guys using laptops and if so what arrangements are you using to keep them around eye level?

The kitchen sink.. sorry table

dw300

Postby dw300 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 18:11 pm

twotyred wrote:I'm running TrainerRoad on a laptop and need a stand to hold the laptop within eyeshot. Are any of you guys using laptops and if so what arrangements are you using to keep them around eye level?

Arm of the sofa.

You don't really need it at eye-level, just somewhere where you can glance at it every minute or two. Mines level with the top of my wheels. If it makes things easier for you, have your bike computer running and use it for cadence reference once you've hit the required power for that interval.

Did another today .. Mono

1:30:00 - 24 minutes at FTP. Good for getting a longer ride in, which gives you a manageable amount of time to adjust to a new FTP level. That's my 20th TR ride.
Bike Radar Strava Club

ChrisSA

Postby ChrisSA » Sun Oct 07, 2012 20:06 pm

JGSI wrote:Has anyone flipped for workouts between FTP and LTHR?
There are times when I cant use virtual power and want to have a workout logged whilst wearing my Garmin HR.

I have a PowerCal - a pseudo PM in an HR strap, works with Garmin. I use virtual power on TR but also capture everything on the Garmin for analysis in TrainingPeaks. With this if I travel with work I can do a similar workout in the same zones reported by the PowerCal.

For steady state (FTP, longer intervals) the repeatability is good. For low power warmup or RI, then it's shite.

Dubcat

Postby Dubcat » Sun Oct 07, 2012 21:58 pm

I want to follow the time crunched cyclist training plan. I understand this is available on Trainerroad. Does this mean I do not need to bother to buy the book?
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito
Strava: http://www.strava.com/athletes/amirkhan

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Mon Oct 08, 2012 03:25 am

Dubcat wrote:I want to follow the time crunched cyclist training plan. I understand this is available on Trainerroad. Does this mean I do not need to bother to buy the book?

Yep the workouts explain themselves pretty well.

Garryboy

Postby Garryboy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:29 am

Been using trainer road for a while now, although mainly just using it to make Sufferfest vids more 'enjoyable' (!)
http://www.trainerroad.com/career/garryboy11

Decided to start the intermediate build plan today, starting with the lovely 8 min test:
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/85733

Bit dissapointing as has suggested my FTP down a little (was 171 now 165), but if I'm being honest it's about right as I was doing a lot of the sufferfest vids at 90% intensity.

I found pacing for the test hard, but expect that will improve with practice.

I'm also bad at tinkering with my set up so consistency is tricky, although I now have dedicated (new but cheap) rear wheel. Gears need adjusted as I did have some ghost shifting particulalry during the clearing efforts (that's my excuse!).

Anyway, finding it great fun so far..

Would be interesting to see a joint venture between TR and Strava - strava is great for outdoors but naff for recording indoor sessions and TR is vice versa....be good to have one place to see all your efforts...

dw300

Postby dw300 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 14:03 pm

Garryboy wrote:Anyway, finding it great fun so far..

Would be interesting to see a joint venture between TR and Strava - strava is great for outdoors but naff for recording indoor sessions and TR is vice versa....be good to have one place to see all your efforts...

I just hit the download button at the top right of the ride details page, and upload that to Strava. Means I have a ballpark figure for my total training time and mileage overall. It also uploads the power data from TR, so you have it in the performance tab.
Bike Radar Strava Club

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Mon Oct 08, 2012 14:13 pm

ChrisSA wrote:
JGSI wrote:Has anyone flipped for workouts between FTP and LTHR?

I have a PowerCal - a pseudo PM in an HR strap, works with Garmin. I use virtual power on TR but also capture everything on the Garmin for analysis in TrainingPeaks. With this if I travel with work I can do a similar workout in the same zones reported by the PowerCal.

For steady state (FTP, longer intervals) the repeatability is good. For low power warmup or RI, then it's shite.

Cheers for that.
I shall stick with my garmin Hr for the mo as I just want to be able to keep logging workouts to achieve the correct weekly TSS and have some 'ballpark' zones to work in.

Dubcat

Postby Dubcat » Mon Oct 08, 2012 14:24 pm

Desperate to try my Trainerroad setup for the first time but legs are absolutely shot after a long (for me) ride on Sat and a long (for me) run on Sun. Today is my rest day.

FTP test will have to wait until tomorrow.. Can't WAIT! :) I am sure I will be well short of the average but the only way is up!
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito
Strava: http://www.strava.com/athletes/amirkhan

MarkP80

Postby MarkP80 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 17:22 pm

dw300 wrote:I did this workout today guys .. just experimenting with something different .. Peavine

I did the workout near midnight, wanted something about an hour long, but not too intense or with high TSS, as i may well be out on the road tomorrow. So I used the TrainerRoad Rides page to filter the rides .. I do this pretty much every time actually.

Anyway, the workout is basically 3 sets of 3x3mins. The first interval of the set in done at 70-80rpm, the 2nd at 60-70, and the 3rd at 50-60 .. with the target power going up in each. I ended up in 50*17 for the 1st interval, 50*14 for the 2nd, and 50*12 (my top gear) for the 3rd. It designed to test your muscles and connective tissues.

There's also a one legged bit just after the warm up which I feel my entry level road bike doesn't help me with much due to its cheap rear hub .. I've got a big neutral bit at the top of each stroke .. there was a lot of clunking! I also felt like I tweaked my right hamstring a little doing this with a low cadence and big resistance, so perform with care. It's fine now though. Also, there are instructions in this workout.

One thing this workout did give me when I was turning the big gear was that I found a great TT position, sat right on the rivet, elbows on the bars, as you can see from the final interval of the final set I got plenty more power with not that much more perceived effort. Working out on a trainer is a great opportunity to experiment, i think that's why I like it so much. Now I need to get some clip on bars so I can take it out on the road.

That's an interesting looking workout, and it looked as if you still had plenty left in the tank at the end.

Did another today .. Mono

1:30:00 - 24 minutes at FTP. Good for getting a longer ride in, which gives you a manageable amount of time to adjust to a new FTP level. That's my 20th TR ride.

- that one looks like a tough one, but I get the impression all the 90min workouts are. Congrats on ride number 20!

Cheers,
MarkP

MarkP80

Postby MarkP80 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 17:29 pm

Dubcat wrote:Desperate to try my Trainerroad setup for the first time but legs are absolutely shot after a long (for me) ride on Sat and a long (for me) run on Sun. Today is my rest day.

FTP test will have to wait until tomorrow.. Can't WAIT! :) I am sure I will be well short of the average but the only way is up!

- I'd say having a rest day before the test is a good idea, because I found it tough. The important thing is to get that baseline assessment to set the levels for your workouts, and of course to see how much you've improved by when you take subsequent tests. It doesn't matter what anyone else's FTP is (and mine is down there at the bottom).

Cheers,
MarkP

dw300

Postby dw300 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 17:39 pm

Dubcat wrote:Desperate to try my Trainerroad setup for the first time but legs are absolutely shot after a long (for me) ride on Sat and a long (for me) run on Sun. Today is my rest day.

Honestly, I think, it's best to be very well rested for the FTP test, like a couple of days off after an easy ride or two previous to that.

Having said that, the motivation to do your first test should get you through it. And I'd do another in a week or two, when you're more familiar with TR, the test structure, the position on the trainer, and pacing. So go for it tomorrow!
Bike Radar Strava Club

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”