Getting Fat Again need a turbo?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
solboy10

Getting Fat Again need a turbo?

Postby solboy10 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 19:50 pm

Guys what with a shorter commute, a couple of kids and less time on my hands I have piled on the pounds this year and I am gutted :twisted: thinking of getting a decent turbo for the winter and have tried rollers and mag trainers but was not overly fussed with them. I know the whole training thing is like mental torture but I need to do something. Looking at the following;
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-supercron ... r/#buyitem

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycleops-jet-fl ... -with-dvd/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-supercron ... l-trainer/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycleops-classi ... -with-dvd/

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/p/23889/roa ... o-trainer/?
utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/p/23892/kur ... o-trainer/

I hear fluid trainers are the best so have selected these. Don't want to pay a fortune but want something decent so let me have your thoughts and experiences.

Cheers

Bozman

Re: Getting Fat Again need a turbo?

Postby Bozman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 20:15 pm

I've got a couple of very young lads, you just need to use every bit of time you get, when the time is short just get out and up your tempo, hammer yourself until you get more time because a turbo will drive you mad.

northpole

Postby northpole » Sun Oct 07, 2012 20:36 pm

Wise words from the last poster. I did the research and bought a decent turbo trainer which I must have used about three or four times. Much better to invest in lights and just get out on the road when you can.

If you insist on getting a turbo, the cycleops jet fluid pro got several recommendations when I was looking and that is the model I ended up buying. Unless you are going to get heavily into using one, don't bother with buying a spare wheel with turbo trainer tyre fitted - just fit the cycleops skewer through your existing hub and you are good to go. Only if you insist though!!

Peter

derosa

Postby derosa » Mon Oct 08, 2012 09:24 am

If you have a backbone and sufficient motivation winter turbo sessions can give massive improvement. Beware - suffering is involved!

danowat

Postby danowat » Mon Oct 08, 2012 09:30 am

Or don't eat so much?

The Cyclist of Catan

Postby The Cyclist of Catan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 09:45 am

My turbo's sat unused in the garage ever since I bought it; it's just too darned dull to use, I'd rather be out in the piddling rain than staring at my garage door while pedalling on a static bike.

Actually, that's not quite right - I have finally started to use it a bit in the last couple of weeks, as a warmup for a short run (training for a sprint tri), but it remains one of the most tedious experiences I have ever had, and I would not wish to suggest that anyone else buy a turbo for winter fitness as they will drive you a little nuts.
They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.

Neale1978

Postby Neale1978 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 09:50 am

I'd only ever use a turbo if the roads were too icy to ride tbh. Just manage your time so you can fit in rides out on the roads.. Even short intense stuff done often will be beneficial

meesterbond

Postby meesterbond » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:36 am

Horses for courses really... obviously most people would rather be on the road, but I've got an 18 month old who's in bed by 7.30, so if the missus is out, I can jump on the turbo for an hour when I normally wouldn't be able to ride at all. I guess I use mine once a week, sometimes twice, in addition to riding whenever I can.

A Sufferfest video for interval work or iPlayer on the iPad for recovery / base miles and it isn't so bad... actually, it is still pretty bad, but at least it's riding.

The Sufferfest is a necessity though.

Dorset Boy

Postby Dorset Boy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:36 am

I have a Cycle Ops Classic and use it c3 times pw in the winter - very happy with it. I'm not one for riding country lanes in the dark with bad road surfaces, and unlike some on here, don't have such a low boredom threshold! :roll: A good 40-60 min workout on the turbo does wonders, but you will sweat buckets! :D

symo

Postby symo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:11 pm

Just a bit of advice, I wass all set on a Cycleops JetFluid thingy, but I saw the video of the mechanical seal in a traditional fluid trainer vs the magnetic link to the fluid resistance in the Kurt Kinetic. I now own a KK trainer.
+++++++++++++++++++++
we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.

solboy10

Postby solboy10 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:16 pm

danowat wrote:Or don't eat so much?

Wish i had thought of that :x

I am also of the mindset that riding country lanes at 9.00pm and never seeing the wife is not that good an idea so i guess the turbo is the worse of two evils - surely no different than going to the gym and 30 mins 3-4 times a week will be enough for me.

Thanks for all the feedback but my question was also which turbo. I think based on the comments i wont go mad and get the Kinetic but may go for the Cycleops Fluid 2 as i can get this for under £200. Still more than i wanted to pay mind.

Sammyw23

Postby Sammyw23 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:24 pm

symo wrote:Just a bit of advice, I wass all set on a Cycleops JetFluid thingy, but I saw the video of the mechanical seal in a traditional fluid trainer vs the magnetic link to the fluid resistance in the Kurt Kinetic. I now own a KK trainer.

Got a link to the video??
Cervelo P3
Bianchi Infinito
Cannondale CAAD10

danowat

Postby danowat » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:33 pm

solboy10 wrote:

My point is, "getting fat" is more about what you eat (or don't)

symo

Postby symo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 13:27 pm

Link here but not for vid : http://www.kurtkinetic.com/history_fluid_machine.php

Can't find the vid for some reason. Basically anything with a mechanical shaft which rotates against a seal, is at some point going to wear the seal.

So Fan, Mag or KK Fluid. But nothing else if you are asking me.
+++++++++++++++++++++
we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.

MarkP80

Postby MarkP80 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 13:39 pm

I have a KK Road Machine and think it was worth every penny. I'd recommend you think about using a turbo linked to TrainerRoad on the laptop. I use it all the time this way and absolutely love it, never bored with it.
Cheers,
MarkP
Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!

Calpol

Postby Calpol » Mon Oct 08, 2012 14:35 pm

I have the Cycle ops Jet Fluid one. Yup its boring but vs doing nothing and getting fat/losing all your hard earned conditioning then its a necessity for me. Riding in the daylight can be dangerous enough so I wont be doing too much in the dark. That said I do find that 45mins to an hour is about as much as I can stomach on the TT.

carrock

Postby carrock » Mon Oct 08, 2012 20:38 pm

solboy10 wrote:

I am also of the mindset that riding country lanes at 9.00pm and never seeing the wife is not that good an idea so i guess the turbo is the worse of two evils - surely no different than going to the gym and 30 mins 3-4 times a week will be enough for me.

Thanks for all the feedback but my question was also which turbo. I think based on the comments i wont go mad and get the Kinetic but may go for the Cycleops Fluid 2 as i can get this for under £200. Still more than i wanted to pay mind.

Book a bodypump class at your local gym/ sports centre

You will get an all over workout, tone up, lose weight and be able to look at flexible young women in lycra gym wear whilst you're doing it

RichA

Postby RichA » Mon Oct 08, 2012 21:37 pm

MarkP80 wrote:I have a KK Road Machine and think it was worth every penny. I'd recommend you think about using a turbo linked to TrainerRoad on the laptop. I use it all the time this way and absolutely love it, never bored with it

+1.

KK Road Mach + TrainerRoad + The Wire. Bring on Winter.

Brommers76

Postby Brommers76 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 22:32 pm

Jet fluid pro here and Sufferfest or I have a compilation of YouTube races and Alpe d'huez climbs for steadier stuff. In my experience you need it to be as easy as possible to get on the turbo. I leave the skewer in the winter bike, have a space in the garage, fan, power and the wifi reaches the ipad or laptop so I can be on the turbo in 5 mins rather than have to faff about getting things set up.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”